I'm not a real Pilot?

Old March 31st 07, 04:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Sylvain

Default I'm not a real Pilot?

Mxsmanic wrote:

I asked at the pilot shop today if it's true that getting even just a PPL
(in France) costs around ...

You made the choice of going there.. I was there in the first place (well,
in the close neighborhood) and made the choice to move away from it. One
of us flies, the other doesn't. We live with the consequences of our
choices.

--Sylvain

Old March 31st 07, 04:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_2_]

Mxsmanic wrote in
:

Dudley Henriques writes:

The only limitation or limitations that I have ever seen in my 50 odd
years in the flight instruction business that would prevent someone
from becoming a pilot would be a medical, physical, or financial
limitation concerning the person wishing to seek this goal.

That's an extremely broad range of possible obstacles.

Of course, I don't know if "****ing idiot" is actualy expressed in that
exact phrase anywhere in the flight surgeon's brief, but it wouldn't
matter. Even if they decided to ignore the mental deficiency, your
unparralelled idiocy would keep you from ever learning, well, anythign..

Bertie
Old March 31st 07, 04:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_2_]

Mxsmanic wrote in
:

Jay Honeck writes:

Oh, hell, the world is full of idiots.

I've been told I'm not "really" a hotelier because we only have 28
suites...

I've been told I wasn't "really" a newspaperman because I worked the
business side of it...

I've been told that I'm not "really" a pilot because I'm not
instrument rated...

I've been told I don't ride "real" motorcycles cuz I don't ride a
Harley...

The list goes on and on. I learned a long time ago not to define my
success (or failure) by what others think.

It's the principle of the five experts. No matter what your
experience or knowledge, there are always people around who will say,
"You can't discuss that--there are only five people in the world
qualified to discuss that."

that' sjust what they tell you to make you go away because you're such a
PITA.

Bertie
Old March 31st 07, 04:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Tim

Mxsmanic wrote:
Tim writes:

Not likely

Which makes it all the more humiliating if it happens.

How is ego or humiliation involved at all?

It is highly unlikely that a person who never flew/piloted an aircraft
before could land one successfully. There is a reason it takes about 10
to 30 hours of instruction to land a single engine plane. It is not
something that people can do naturally. There are also enough people
flying small planes who have used "flight simulators" prior to taking
lessons. I have never, ever heard of someone who could land a plane
right from the start. It just does not happen.

Granted, 10 to 20 hours is not a lot of time and just about anyone can
be taught how to do it. Given that, how would anyone get an ego issue
from flying? I am not sure where you get that crap about pilots having
huge egos. Is this from real experience, or just from postings on the
internet?
Old March 31st 07, 04:22 AM posted to alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Tim

Bertie the Bunyip wrote:
Tim wrote in :

Mxsmanic wrote:

David writes:

So why is it the general public thinks that to be a real
pilot you have to aspire to become a scheduled airline captain?

For much the same reason that some people think that people who fly
simulators cannot be real pilots. It's human nature to try to rank
people, always in such a way that the person doing the ranking turns
out to merit a high rank, whereas other people turn out to merit a
low rank.

No one said you could not be one. Just that you are not one. Big
difference.

No, not so I said he couldn't be one. He can't

Bertie

Yes, I didn;t see your posts until after.
I think you are incorrect. It is not that hard to do. I would bet he
could do it if he took lessons.

By the way, you are about as annoying as he is in your posts.
Old March 31st 07, 04:25 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Tim

Mxsmanic wrote:
Tim writes:

No one said you could not be one. Just that you are not one. Big
difference.

I didn't say anything about myself.

I was using "you" as a specific case of your generalality of people who
fly sims can't fly.

Your quote below.

"some people think that people who fly simulators cannot be real pilots."

If you would rather, I can generalize too...

Most people can learn to be real pilots. It has nothing to do with
simulators. Now, that is altogether different than saying
"people who only use games or simulators are not pilots"
If you don't pilot a flying device, you are not a pilot. If you "fly"
in a simulator or in a game - you are only a game pilot or a simulator
pilot.
Old March 31st 07, 04:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Sylvain

In many places physicians only have a 'courtesy' titles, since academically
speaking they haven't actually completed the requirements of a doctorate
(I believe this is the case in UK/Ireland; though some do get a real
doctorate by doing a PhD as well, researchers mostly);

The only time when I insist on the proper use of my title is when
confronted with people who first insist on the proper use of theirs (mostly
pompous twits in white coats with shiny stethoscopes dangling from
the pocket :-) )

--Sylvain

Don Tuite wrote:

On 30 Mar 2007 18:53:30 -0700, "Andrew Sarangan"
wrote:

Another similar comment I often encounter is that I am not a real
doctor because I did not go to medical school.

Most places, you'd be "Professor Doctor" Sarangan. In North America
and Britian, though, Wikipedia says persons like yourself are commonly
addressed as"Doctor," although the Brits balk at calling a dentist or
veterinarian that. (Not sure about Canada.) And I think most educated
North Americans from either side of the 49th would consider a person
with a J.D. or a D.Ed who called himself a doctor a pompous twit. I'd
say the same for doctors of divinity myself, but newspapers seem to
disagree with me.

Old March 31st 07, 04:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_2_]

Tim wrote in :

Bertie the Bunyip wrote:
Tim wrote in news:gNfPh.13$zm5.4

@newsfe12.lga:

Mxsmanic wrote:

David writes:

So why is it the general public thinks that to be a real
pilot you have to aspire to become a scheduled airline captain?

For much the same reason that some people think that people who fly
simulators cannot be real pilots. It's human nature to try to rank
people, always in such a way that the person doing the ranking turns
out to merit a high rank, whereas other people turn out to merit a
low rank.

No one said you could not be one. Just that you are not one. Big
difference.

No, not so I said he couldn't be one. He can't

Bertie

Yes, I didn;t see your posts until after.
I think you are incorrect. It is not that hard to do.

Didn't say it was, just too hard for him.

I would bet he
could do it if he took lessons.

By the way, you are about as annoying as he is in your posts.

Good. You don;t like me, killfile me. Otherwise, go **** yourself.

Bertie
Old March 31st 07, 05:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Aluckyguess

Who cares what anyone thinks.
When I meet an ATP I usually say oh you're a real pilot and we laugh.