Removing Cement From Gelcoart ... Safely

Old April 5th 10, 08:43 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
bumper[_3_]

Default Removing Cement From Gelcoart ... Safely

On Apr 4, 6:20*pm, ContestID67 wrote:
As a followup to my original posting, I used "Goof Off" (a mixture of
Xylene and Benzene) and which worked well to soften the adhesive. *I
then used a plastic paint scraper to get most of the now gooey
adhesive off. *Finally I use a 3M Scotch cleaning pad to get that last
bit off. *I was now clean. *I found that the recessed area which had
the map pockets was not jell coated.

I am trying the following idea to add new map pockets. *I found some
industrial 2" wide black velcro at the local fabric store. *I put the
(soft) loop part on the side of the cockpit wall trimmed to fit into
the recess. * Looks really nice. *The idea is that I can then put the
hook side onto anything that I want to mount on the wall. *Pouches of
course but also a small count-up timer, a pen, etc, etc.

*I then went scouting for some pouches. *My first try are the 3-ring
binder pencil/pen nylon pockets found at a office supply store. *They
work just OK, kind of small and don't have the elastic top like the
old pockets. *I will keep searching and may end up sewing my own
pockets.

The nice part about the velcro system is that it is all very versitile
and something I can easily change as I try to find what works best for
me.
in
- John DeRosa

John,

For pockets, you might have a look sun visor storage bags sold at the
auto parts stores like these http://www.autopartsdeal.com/Parts_L...ford/explorer/

Good luck with the Velcro. I've had problems with the part mounted to
the cockpit wall sliding (sliming the wall with gooey) in the heat.
The 3M mushroom lock is stronger and works better the Velcro for
mounting heavier loads (sold at McMaster-Carr).

bumper
MKIV & QV
Old April 5th 10, 04:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
sisu1a

Good luck with the Velcro. I've had problems with the part mounted
the cockpit wall sliding (sliming the wall with gooey) in the heat.
The 3M mushroom lock is stronger and works better the Velcro for
mounting heavier loads (sold at McMaster-Carr)

On your velcro, buy the non adhesive backed kind. Epoxy (or pliobond
or industrial contact cement, or...) the soft side to your cockpit
wall and use upholstery needle/thread to attach the spiky side to your
to your pockets (glue bond the spiky side to solid objects). When I
ever want velcro to stay put on any surface, I use the strongest
bonding/fastening methods I can, because in some conditions (heat
etc) the hook and loop is invariably stronger than the bond you can
achieve with the sticky back crap they supply it with, which will lead
to the same problem Frank had.

Your bond has to repeatedly win the tug-o-war with the velcro, so that
rules out the stock sticky in my book.

-Paul
Old April 6th 10, 02:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
ContestID67[_2_]

Thanks for the suggestions. Yes, I thought about the velcro coming
unstuck. However, the 2" wide stuff seems pretty well stuck to the
cockpit wall - but time will tell. Worse case I remove it all and
start over, no great loss and it has to be easier than taking off the
previous adhesive - which is why I don't want to glue on the next
batch. The bottom line is that the idea of a velcro "wall" to attach
whatever you need, and being able to change things around easily, is
really a good idea.

I am trying to find some type of elastic top bag which duplicates what
was there. Bags with non-elastic tops just aren't as usable. I think
that the real trick will be finding one with a stiffner. So I might
just have to sew my own with a thin aluminum backing insert. And
*SEW* the hook side onto the back of the bag.

Thanks again,
John DeRosa
Old April 6th 10, 04:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
sisu1a

*SEW* the hook side onto the back of the bag.

Thanks again,
John DeRosa

Still use the non adhesive backed stuff at least to sew on the pouch.
The adhesive horribly binds the needle and necessitates liberal
application of profanity to achieve even mediocre results

Good point on epoxying the velcro onto the wall. Turns future removal
into a grinder job.

Velcro... pffft. this is what Chuck Norris would use:
http://news.cnet.com/8301-13639_3-10346953-42.html
http://www.metaklett.de/

-Paul

Plexiglas cement?? Larry Home Built 16 November 11th 07 02:15 PM
Transporting O2 safely Michael Horowitz Home Built 22 November 2nd 07 09:50 PM
Fly Safely.... muff528 Piloting 1 April 18th 07 07:05 PM
How to be safely stupid scott moore Instrument Flight Rules 10 March 15th 07 02:20 AM
OOPS! Got contact cement on the windshield Mike Rapoport Owning 12 November 13th 04 11:13 PM