Sport Pilot license

Old June 23rd 05, 02:54 PM
W P Dixon

Hey Ultra!,
I like those KR's, but I have had the same concern about it that Colin
had. I sure wish there was a Sport Pilot version of a KR. Maybe a KR 1/2 !
HAHA But I have to admit I hate fiberglass type stuff...it just eats me up.
With a total lack of decent wood available, I may have to change plans and
go with a metal plane. I still think the Mini-Coupe is kinda neat. And plans
are cheap! The Thatcher CX-4 is WAYYYY cool, but plans are expensive ( for
my poor butt anyway!).
But back to the gliders, have you seen the free glider plans on the net?
I wonder if a small engine could be mounted to that thing?

Patrick
student SPL
aircraft structural mech

"UltraJohn" wrote in message
link.net...

Below copied and pasted from their web site, The plane won't meet SP
criterial because of it's speed but the motor glider version will. The two
are the same except the outer wing panels which you can build both and use
either as a motor glider or higher performance single seater if you have a
PPL.
John

http://www.fly-kr.com/
The KR-1 is the single seat low wing retractable monoplane which is
typically powered by smaller VW engines, up to the VW 2100. The KR-1B
motorglider is a standard KR-1 with modified outer wing sections. With
this
simple wing conversion, the original KR-1 becomes an excellent
self-powered
glider.

Old June 23rd 05, 06:43 PM
UltraJohn

W P Dixon wrote:

Hey Ultra!,
I like those KR's, but I have had the same concern about it that Colin
had. I sure wish there was a Sport Pilot version of a KR. Maybe a KR 1/2 !
HAHA But I have to admit I hate fiberglass type stuff...it just eats me
up. With a total lack of decent wood available, I may have to change plans
and go with a metal plane. I still think the Mini-Coupe is kinda neat. And
plans are cheap! The Thatcher CX-4 is WAYYYY cool, but plans are expensive
( for my poor butt anyway!).
But back to the gliders, have you seen the free glider plans on the
net?
I wonder if a small engine could be mounted to that thing?

Patrick
student SPL
aircraft structural mech

Patrick
I did a little checking and the KR-1B appears to meet the SP requirements.
They not only have an approximately 6 foot longer wingspan it is also a
different shape. The max cruise speed is 130 mph with a VW 1600 and the
stall speed is lower also bringing it within range. Doesn't help you any
with the fiberglass problem though! ;-)
John

Old June 23rd 05, 06:48 PM
W P Dixon

Hey,
I may have to check into that. I believe the free plans I was speaking of
is called a GOAT or something like that. I do wish a KR2 was a SP, I do like
it!!!!!!

Patrick
student SPL
aircraft structural mech

"UltraJohn" wrote in message
hlink.net...

!

Old June 23rd 05, 10:38 PM
Rick Pellicciotti

When our airplanes get here next month, we will be charging $69/hr wet
for our S-LSA airplane (Aerostar Festival). Our instructors get $30/hr
so your dual time will be $99/hr. Figure 30 hours for the average
person and the cost for a Sport Pilot license will be $3,000.00.

Since we only use CFI's for your training, all of the dual that you do
for your Sport Pilot license will count towards a Private later if you
choose to go for it.

Rick Pellicciotti
http://www.lightsportflying.com

keepitrunning wrote:

Has anyone come up with an estimated cost of a sport pilot license versus a
regular pilot's license. Then would it be reasonable to add the
requirements for a pilot's license later?

Any thoughts and comments are appreciated.

Gary

Old June 23rd 05, 10:41 PM
dje

Maybe this is it:

http://home.att.net/~m--sandlin/bug.htm

David

"W P Dixon" wrote in message
news
Hey,
I may have to check into that. I believe the free plans I was speaking

of
is called a GOAT or something like that. I do wish a KR2 was a SP, I do

like
it!!!!!!

Patrick
student SPL
aircraft structural mech

"UltraJohn" wrote in message
hlink.net...

Old June 23rd 05, 10:53 PM
W P Dixon

Hey Rick,
I sure wish you could sell a few of those planes over here in east TN. I
may have to come over to Memphis and take one for a ride! Lord that's a
longgg drive! I need a plane and cert to go fly a plane and get a
cert!!!!!

Patrick
student SPL
aircraft structural mech

Old June 23rd 05, 10:57 PM
W P Dixon

Yep!
That's the one David, Does that little critter just look like alot of
fun or what? May be just to light to hold any type of engine. Maybe one of
those small government surplus things?

Patrick
student SPL
aircraft structural mech

"W P Dixon" wrote in message
news
Hey,
I may have to check into that. I believe the free plans I was speaking

of
is called a GOAT or something like that. I do wish a KR2 was a SP, I do

like
it!!!!!!

Patrick
student SPL
aircraft structural mech

"UltraJohn" wrote in message
hlink.net...

Old June 24th 05, 12:04 PM
Scott

So, if you are ever suspicious that you might fail your NEXT physical,
don't go. Just let it expire and then get your Sport Plane Rating. If
I recall, they do offer a one-time waiver, but that just sounds like the
same red tape as if you fail a physical or have a problem like a heart
attack, kidney stones, etc.

Scott

T o d d P a t t i s t wrote:

wrote:

I just saw the FAA presentation at '04 OshKosh on DVD, and they stated
very clearly, several times, that you CANNOT get a SPL if you've failed
a medical, until you get a successful medical. If that is so, WTF is
the SPL for, anyway????

It's for all those who haven't failed.

T o d d P a t t i s t
(Remove DONTSPAMME from address to email reply.)
___
Make a commitment to learn something from every flight.
Share what you learn.

Old June 24th 05, 12:46 PM
LCT Paintball

I never really wanted to go for the Rotax. I did consider the Jab 3300 but
now I have pretty much decided on a Wynne built Corvair. What did it for me
was a the price, less than $7000, and the fact that Falcon will insure the
the plane on first flight.

Are Corvair engines and parts getting hard to find yet?
I used to have a corvair. There was an old corvair junkyard (that's all they
had) near me at the time, but I don't know if it's still there.

Old June 24th 05, 01:48 PM

Rick Pellicciotti wrote:

Since we only use CFI's for your training, all of the dual that you do
for your Sport Pilot license will count towards a Private later if you
choose to go for it.

Rick Pellicciotti

Rick,

When you say "we only use CFI's for your training" do you
mean you use only Subpart H CFI's? I thought Subpart K
Flight Instructors were CFI's too. Am I wrong?

And when you say "all of the dual that you do for your Sport
Pilot license will count towards a Private" are you saying
that dual with Subpart K Instructors can't be used later to
meet instruction requirements for a Private? Can you point
me to the relevant part of the FARs that applies?

Thanks.

Please e-mail EAA and ask them to include gliders in Sport Pilot Mark James Boyd Soaring 6 December 1st 04 05:52 PM
Sport Pilot cuts off special issuance at the knees Juan~--~Jimenez Home Built 40 August 10th 04 01:19 PM
sport pilot humor Occom Home Built 0 April 9th 04 04:22 PM
Sport Pilot (was SoCal CFIGs needed. M B Soaring 1 September 30th 03 04:21 AM