Ebay for new headsets??

Old August 25th 05, 04:00 PM
Thomas Borchert

I much prefer the excellant passive and moderate active (in the low
frequencies) on the X-Country.

I know what you mean. It's a personal thing.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old August 25th 05, 05:20 PM
Ron Garret

In article 60lPe.4048$IG2.1612@trndny01,
George Patterson wrote:

Ron Garret wrote:

Buy Peltor.

Before you do that, you might want to read the thread started by the guy who
just got an estimate of $700+ for repairs on his.

I should have been more explicit: buy Peltor non-ANR.

rg
Old August 25th 05, 06:07 PM
john smith

Here is another thought...

I wear DC 10-40, a friend wears Lightspeed 20-something.
When instrument flying, I can hear the identifier through the background
noise while my friend cannot. Why? Better headset? Better hearing? Both?
Old August 25th 05, 07:56 PM
Jonathan Sorger

While I am happy with my DC ANR's, having recently had to pay $67 for a
repair on an older (beyond 5 year warranty passives) (I bought after
hearing about legendary customer service) set, I will probably go with
Litespeed for my next purchase.

Sorry, had to rant.

Old August 26th 05, 12:25 AM
Ronald Gardner

I got a great deal on ebay a few years back. Still using them today.
First, know your headsets and their prices new and value used. Then watch
what's available, set the price you would pay (sight unseen) and don't get
in a bidding war. If on broad band wait till the last 10 or 15 seconds to
confirm the bid. Use refresh several times in the last few minute to
learn the time your system take too access and reload. Put one bid in
just before this time hack and wait. If you get the deal fine. If not
move to the next opportunity. I use this and win about 85% of the time.
My set saved me $200 bucks. Good luck

Ron Gardner

Charles Talleyrand wrote:

I'm a Cessna 150 driver looking for a reasonably cheap ANR headset,
since my last one quit on approach at a controlled field :-( Where
should I buy such a thing? Has anyone tried E-bay, or am I stuck with
Sportys? Any advice at all?

-Thanks
-Charles Talleyrand

Old August 26th 05, 03:39 AM
George Patterson

Ronald Gardner wrote:

Put one bid in just before this time hack and wait.

When you do this, make that bid the maximum amount you are willing to pay. Ebay
has this concept of "proxie bidding" and they will actually bid only the amount
it takes to win the item. This means that the high bid you see may be much less
than what the high bidder actually bid. If that's the case and you bid, say, $5
more than the high bid, all you will do is run the bidding up; Ebay will
automatically increase his bid by $6. If you tell Ebay that you're willing to
pay up to $150 for the item and the most anyone else is willing to pay is $45,
you'll get the bid for $46.

So. Why not just make that bid now? Why wait until the last half minute? Well,
there *are* people out there who will bid things up in $5 increments, just like
a real auction. If you bid early, they have time to outbid you (and you can see
them making bid after bid until they do). Wait until the last half-minute, and
they don't even know you're there until the auction's over.

George Patterson
Old August 26th 05, 04:49 AM

: I wear DC 10-40, a friend wears Lightspeed 20-something.
: When instrument flying, I can hear the identifier through the background
: noise while my friend cannot. Why? Better headset? Better hearing? Both?

That has also been my experience with the Lightspeed [12][05]'s. My theory is that the 1-2kHz regions where
they're particularly bad at noise reduction is also the most important one for speech intelligibility. The ident on
navaids is 1kHz, too. Basically, I've found that the volume (intercom/radio) for them needs to be so low to not be
painful, that even though they cut out lots of apparent engine noise, it's still very difficult to understand
radios/intercom.

I've also got a friend with an experimental sea-plane with a Rotax 912S in it. I think that cruise RPM is
about 4000-4500, so it really has lots of high frequency. He and I took my Lightspeed XC's up and compared them with
his 25XLs. The 25XLs were basically unintelligible (and painful to me)... the next day he ordered two XC2's (newer
model). To each their own, though.

-Cory

* Cory Papenfuss *

Old August 26th 05, 06:05 AM

Yeah. It's called "sniping." A somewhat controversial method but I do
it and have won every auction I bid on.

Old August 26th 05, 10:18 AM
Thomas Borchert

Ron,

buy Peltor non-ANR.

Going back to the stone age? Why?

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old August 26th 05, 02:52 PM
Kevin Kubiak

I purchased a brand new Lightspeed 30-3G headset at OSH.
Used it for 4 hrs on one cross country trip and had to return it to Lightspeed
(at my expense) for repair. The ANR just quit working, the next time I wanted to
use them (yes the batteries were fresh). They repaired the ANR and turned it
around quick enough (received back 2 business days after they received it) at no
charge. It still bugs me that I had to pay to ship them back. While my DC
passive headset was still fine and survived all my PP training abuse.

So..... Just had to rant as well.

Kevin Kubiak - PP-ASEL

In john smith wrote:

Here is another thought...

I wear DC 10-40, a friend wears Lightspeed 20-something.
When instrument flying, I can hear the identifier through the
background noise while my friend cannot. Why? Better headset? Better
hearing? Both?

Ebay for new headsets?? Charles Talleyrand Owning 21 August 27th 05 01:17 AM
Entry Level Headsets Mark Morissette Piloting 12 April 28th 05 02:29 PM
Ebay Helicopters Jim Rotorcraft 0 September 29th 04 07:17 AM
Airplane Parts on Ebay Vac Reg Valves, Fuel Floats, O-200 Spider, Fuel Injection Valve Bill Berle Owning 0 January 26th 04 07:48 AM
Pilot Headsets for Sale on Ebay Cecil E. Chapman Products 0 October 9th 03 07:19 PM