Have you created anything "home-made" for your plane? (or a low cost alternative?)

Old April 11th 06, 10:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.student

Default Have you created anything "home-made" for your plane? (or a low cost alternative?)

Three LED (red, amber, green) over/under/just-right voltage indicator
which tells me if the alternator is on line. It takes up just 0.005
square inches of panel space.

A home-brew auto-muting stereo music switcher which added MP3/CD inputs
and stereo headphone jacks to my otherwise mono audio panel/mono
intercom. Auto mutes when there is activity on the aircraft radios or
intercom. Cost about $50 in parts, vs $1000 for the high end PS
engineering audio system.

Old April 11th 06, 11:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.student

A home-built airplane, since you can't install parts in the
panel that are not approved. Now if it is a cigarette
lighter plug-in you can do what you want since it is not
part of the airplane.

--
James H. Macklin
ATP,CFI,A&P

some support

oups.com...

Old April 11th 06, 01:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.student

In rec.aviation.owning mikem wrote:
: Three LED (red, amber, green) over/under/just-right voltage indicator
: which tells me if the alternator is on line. It takes up just 0.005
: square inches of panel space.

I've been thinking of doing this, but haven't had time to design the circuit.
Do you have yours available to share?

: A home-brew auto-muting stereo music switcher which added MP3/CD inputs
: and stereo headphone jacks to my otherwise mono audio panel/mono
: intercom. Auto mutes when there is activity on the aircraft radios or
: intercom. Cost about $50 in parts, vs $1000 for the high end PS
: engineering audio system.

I've had non-muting (where I simply tapped a music jack into the audio panel),
partial-muting (10-20dB down), and full-muting iterations on my plane. My comment is
that partial muting is probably about the best option, but it's still not great. It
really discourages conversation among others in the plane that are listening. If you
say something, the music goes away, so most people don't say much. I usually fly long
distances solo, so I use the direct input to my headsets. It does full-muting, but I
get higher fidelity and stereo than running it through the intercom (PC-4 IIRC).

Doesn't seem like it should cost $50 for the parts on that.

-Cory

* Cory Papenfuss *

Old April 11th 06, 07:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.student

Sorry if I have not read every previous post, I used the
"catch up" command and purge old posts regularly, so I would
suggest that such posts about making and installing
equipment should indicate that they are making parts for
their home-built or experimental airplane. Some people may
not understand and might make and install non-certified
parts on their production airplane. It isn't an argument,
it is a caution.

--
James H. Macklin
ATP,CFI,A&P

"RST Engineering" wrote in message
.. .
| Come on, Jim. We've had this argument/discussion about
"can't install
| parts..." subject in these newsgroups before, and I
thought we agreed to
| disagree but to let it drop. You wanna start the
argument/discussion again?

| Jim
|

| "Jim Macklin" wrote
in message

Old April 11th 06, 08:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.student

And this is exactly the thread we had a year or so ago, where you said that
you can't put non-certified parts on your production airplane and I said you
can. We went round and round for a week, and we finally agreed to disagree.

Now you are starting the whole damned thing over again.

Jim

Old April 11th 06, 09:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.student

Hey, what cam I say, I'm 60 and don't remember everything.
I also think that it is not legal to install parts
willy-nilly on certified airplanes. I don't intend to worry
about your thin skin either.

Old April 11th 06, 10:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.student

In article ,
"RST Engineering" wrote:

And this is exactly the thread we had a year or so ago, where you said that
you can't put non-certified parts on your production airplane and I said you
can. We went round and round for a week, and we finally agreed to disagree.

ok, here's my question: Are you saying that I could install any part (certified
or uncertified) I want in my cherokee as long as I have an approval basis
for the installation? or are you saying that no approval basis of the
installation is required?

--
Bob Noel
Looking for a sig the

Old April 11th 06, 11:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.student

In article ,
"RST Engineering" wrote:

Again, depends entirely on the situation. Give me a ferinstance with all
the particulars.

(what particulars do you need?)

Case 1:

Install a digital OAT probe and display in a cherokee. The part is PMA'd for
certain Beech aircraft but not any cherokee

Case 2:

Install a replacement handle for the seat release in a cherokee. The part
was fabricated (by me) from stock laying around the hangar.

Case 3:

Install new aluminum engine baffling fabricated (by me) from aluminum "scrap".

Case 4:

Install an instrument light dimmer switch (a simple rehostat (or however it's
spelled))

--
Bob Noel
Looking for a sig the

Old April 12th 06, 12:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.student

Case 1:

Install a digital OAT probe and display in a cherokee. The part is PMA'd
for
certain Beech aircraft but not any cherokee

I'd consider that a minor modification that can be handled on a logbook
entry with an A&P signature. See the last sentence about "instructions for
continued airworthiness". Actually, for a part that isn't required for
flight, I'd not be worried about whether the part was PMA'd at all.

Case 2:

Install a replacement handle for the seat release in a cherokee. The part
was fabricated (by me) from stock laying around the hangar.

21.303(b)(2) gives the owner or the operator the perogative to manufacture
parts for their own aircraft. "manufacturing" does not have to be
physically done by you; if you generate the drawings and take them down to
the local machine shop for fabrication, you are still the "manufacturer".
Again, minor repair UNLESS the installing mechanic can see how a design
change from the original part might get tangled up and inadvertently release
the seat, in which case it isn't a matter of a major repair; it is simply
unairworthy.

Case 3:

Install new aluminum engine baffling fabricated (by me) from aluminum
"scrap".

Minor repair under the watchful eye of the engine mechanic. Airworthiness
depends on how crappy the scrappy was.

Case 4:

Install an instrument light dimmer switch (a simple rehostat (or however
it's
spelled))

Rheostat. If it a replacement for a currently installed rheostat it is a
minor repair if the replacement part is form, fit, and function with the old
part. If it is a modification, I'd like to see some calculations on how hot
it is going to get, what you have done to address the heat generated,
whether the part is rated for the calculated wattage, and all that good
stuff. If it all calculates out properly, minor modification but with the
caveat that a sheet showing "instructions for continued airworthiness" in
the aircraft files (i.e how often inspected, what are you inspecting for,
and all that stuff).

Jim

Old April 12th 06, 01:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.student

In article ,
"RST Engineering" wrote:

iow - the answer to my question was yes, any part can be installed
as long as there is an approval basis.

Case 1:

Install a digital OAT probe and display in a cherokee. The part is PMA'd
for
certain Beech aircraft but not any cherokee

I'd consider that a minor modification that can be handled on a logbook
entry with an A&P signature.

the approval basis being the A&P signature

actually, in my case, it was replacing the original OAT probe, I discussed
this with the FSDO prior to the mod and the shop filed a 337.

etc

--
Bob Noel
Looking for a sig the