A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Trouble with MicrovarioPro Companion software

Old August 4th 13, 06:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
David Cole - Oregon
external usenet poster

Default Trouble with MicrovarioPro Companion software

Is anyone besides me having trouble with MicrovarioPro Companion software? The flight recordings show max altitudes of only 20 to 40 feet. Are my settings wrong or is it the software or the device.
By the way for a cheap ($150) audio vario the MicrovarioPro performs great in the air though it needs to be close to your ear as it is not very loud and volume is not adjustable.

--David
Old August 6th 13, 07:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ramy
external usenet poster

On Saturday, August 3, 2013 10:16:53 PM UTC-7, David Cole - Oregon wrote:
Is anyone besides me having trouble with MicrovarioPro Companion software? The flight recordings show max altitudes of only 20 to 40 feet. Are my settings wrong or is it the software or the device.

By the way for a cheap ($150) audio vario the MicrovarioPro performs great in the air though it needs to be close to your ear as it is not very loud and volume is not adjustable.

--David

Was not familiar with it until now but thanks for the info about a cheap backup vario. They also sell the nanovario for $99. Although not compensated, this sound like the perfect solution for a backup audio vario in the cockpit or in those club gliders with only mechanical varios.
Just ordered one.
http://www.flytepark.com/Store

Ramy
Old August 13th 13, 02:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ramy
external usenet poster

On Monday, August 5, 2013 11:06:47 PM UTC-7, Ramy wrote:
On Saturday, August 3, 2013 10:16:53 PM UTC-7, David Cole - Oregon wrote:

--David

Was not familiar with it until now but thanks for the info about a cheap backup vario. They also sell the nanovario for $99. Although not compensated, this sound like the perfect solution for a backup audio vario in the cockpit or in those club gliders with only mechanical varios.

Just ordered one.

http://www.flytepark.com/Store

Ramy

Well, after trying the micro vario I can no longer recommend it. I could not make any sense or correlation between the sound it was making and the climb rate. Compensated or not, it should be still usable at constant speed, but it was switching from climb sound to sink alarm to quiet during a pretty much constant climb at constant speed. I configured it for the less sensitive mode. Bottom line - unusable even as a backup. Would be better to use the seat of your pants and watch the altimeter than trying to use one of those. It is going back to the store.

Ramy
Old August 13th 13, 05:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Thin Air
external usenet poster

Interesting.

I have the Pro version and while the accompanying software has much to be desired (though it does serve my purposes), the vario itself works well for me.

JB
Old August 13th 13, 05:57 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ramy
external usenet poster

I womder if the pro is simply better or my unit has a problem (or you have better speed control...)
Do you also have the rotary switch for different profiles and if so which profile are you using?
Another problem is the sink tone which can not be disabled and which sound similar to climb tone, and i can hardly tell the difference between the two.

Ramy
Old August 14th 13, 06:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ramy
external usenet poster

The vario I purchased is the nano which is apparently different from the microvario pro as for audio and threshold setting. It is not even possible to disable the confusing sink tone while the micro pro allows disabling it.

Ramy
Old August 14th 13, 12:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Thin Air
external usenet poster

With my version (Pro), the settings and profiles are all controlled through the USB software utility. I haven't played with the different profiles frankly because the one it came with seems to work just about the way I like it.

I wish the volume was higher, but I can live with it.

Hope you get yours sorted out. I had a few difficulties (first unit shipped with battery issues) and found the customer service to be unusually superb.

JB

Old August 30th 13, 02:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

On Sunday, 4 August 2013 15:16:53 UTC+10, David Cole - Oregon wrote:

I have the same problem. I think it is the software.

Does anyone know how to delete flights from the Pro Companion software

Old August 30th 13, 02:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

I have the same problem with the max altitude. I think it is the software.

Does anyone know how to delete a single flight from the Pro Companion software?

Old September 30th 13, 03:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

On Sunday, 4 August 2013 15:16:53 UTC+10, David Cole - Oregon wrote:

--David

I've too have found the logged altitudes to be inaccurate. The software is useless for anything other than logging the duration of a flight. I sent a message via the support form and the reply stated they are going to update the software. Still waiting months later...I regret having purchased this vario.