How would YOU design an international soaring center?

Old September 30th 15, 10:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Justin Craig[_3_]

Default How would YOU design an international soaring center?

Area for international shipping containers.

One or two versatile open trailers allowing gliders from abroad to ship
without their trailers.

4 - 6 glider in a container may afford the organization some additional
rental kit as owners shipping from aboard my wish to cover some expense by
renting their gliders for part of the season.

Responsible person take charge of and to oversee the use of privately
owned rental glider.

I hope this is successful. Well done.

Old September 30th 15, 03:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Craig Reinholt

Adjacent property for private hangers.
Old September 30th 15, 03:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Nadler

On Wednesday, September 30, 2015 at 10:31:59 AM UTC-4, Craig Reinholt wrote:
Adjacent property for private hangers.

With spacing to permit 20m gliders between hangars!
Old September 30th 15, 03:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Nadler

Facilities for a commercial food establishment (commercial kitchen in addition to a kitchen area for pilots), with easy access to inside and outside seating. Some of the most pleasant sites I've visited have full-time commercial eateries serving food and of course cool refreshing beverages, with the eateries frequented by glider bums and families even on non-flying days.
Old September 30th 15, 04:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I think all Comforts and hard assets really nice - but - I believe the most critical thing you can do for a new center is to spend the huge amount of time required to develop a business model that make it self sustainable.

You can have all the great stuff put in, but to be here in 50 years and to be maintained to the level I am sure you would want it kept, requires money/man power/................

Getting that part correct is not as easy as it sounds. I came from an Olympic Sport that had centers and all kinds of cool ideas and potential (some time I dislike that word.. potential lol). Many times they can never find the right funding/programs/people business model to make them survive and fourish.

There are some place like Harris Hill which sure seem to have done much right - but every venue has demands that are unique.

It is a win win for all Soaring pilots if you get it right Can't wait to fly there! I am sure it will be excellent!

WH1