Cobra Trailer Question

Old January 2nd 04, 04:10 AM
Deputy Dog

Default Cobra Trailer Question

OK, I give up. What are those two black nylon latches? at the back of
a Cobra trailer? They are on the inside at the back end just below
the slot that the wing dolly side support runs in. They have four
detents (pointed up, pointed down, pointed forward, and pointed
rearward.)

I thought they were to hold the dolly at the rear if you pulled the
trailer without the a/c in it, but they are not strong enough to hold
them.

Anybody know what they do?? Inquiring minds want to know.

Happy New Year to all-

Deputy Dog
Old January 2nd 04, 08:20 AM
K.P. Termaat

The black nylon latches at the back of a Cobra trailer are there to hold the
dolly at its place while disassembling the glider.

Karel, NL

"Deputy Dog" schreef in bericht
om...

Old January 2nd 04, 05:52 PM
bumper

I haven't used the black latches either, but was told they are to hold the
wing dollies aft. Got another question though:

I dutifully checking the wheel lug tightness after a few hundered (okay
thousand) miles. Upon removing one of the plastic hub caps, one of the
plastic clips cracked and fell off. I was more careful on the other side
pulling it off evenly and just a little at a time. Maybe 10 miles later I
see one of the hub caps getting ready to depart and pass me up . . . it did
just that as I was pulling to the curb. Picked up the pieces and checked the
other wheel to find the hub cap there already done gone.

Talked to another Cobra owner who said he lost his too, so it's not just me.
A quick look around Minden, NV showed lots of trailers, and none with hub
caps. Does this happen to everyone? And if so, why doesn't Cobra change the
hubcaps to metal? Finally, what US size hub cap will fit?

--
bumper ZZ (reverse all after @)
"Dare to be different . . . circle in sink."

Old January 2nd 04, 07:10 PM
Deputy Dog

Karel:

They kinda look like that, but they would only hold the dolly if the
trailer were tilted toward the front very slightly. It only takes
very light pressure ( 1#) and mine move and release the dolly. (and
mine are less than 2 years old and never used)

Surely they are suppose to do something else. Maybe increase L by
10 points when pointed vertical due to anti-gravity effect?? Point
horizontal forward for ridge flying? Downward when wife won't let you
go soaring? Or maybe just something for us to turn periodically and
WONDER WHY!

Deputy Dog

Old January 2nd 04, 07:49 PM
John Galloway

Ahh! I thought they must be there to hold in place
the optional little rigging pegs that sit on the side
wall and have no useful purpose that I can find. Anyway,
while sitting there waiting to not fulfil any function
they tend to fall over - but - one side has a longer
flange than the other and the long side fits nicely
under the rotating clip when it is turned upwards.

My question is this: Why does everyone park and rig
with Cobra trailers level when it is so much easier
to have them tail down a bit so that the ramp (+ tail
wheel extension if present) and the trailer floor are
all more or less in line? That lowers the lift for
the wingroot and stops there being a steep run up the
ramp for the fuselage into the trailer. The trade
off is a slight incline up the trailer but I can push
our Duo turbo fuselage into the trailer quite comfortably
on my own and I am only 169cm. Moreover, if everyone
did like we do then there would be no need for the
little plastic clips as the dollies would stay at the
rear.

Does anyone use the little pegs?

John Galloway

Old January 2nd 04, 10:52 PM
Eric Greenwell

I removed my hub caps and stored them in the basement, from where they
will return, pristine, for the next owner. Now I can easily check the
lug nuts visually and with a lug wrench. I can also check the wheel
bearing and brake drum temperatures with my hand, which I do frequently.

bumper wrote:

[...]

-----
change "netto" to "net" to email me directly

Eric Greenwell
Washington State
USA

Tire Stiffness & trailer swaying - resolution chris Soaring 6 October 26th 03 03:50 PM
Cobra Trailer For Sale (15 m) Albert Gold Soaring 0 October 7th 03 09:00 PM
Cobra Trailer Soaring 1 September 28th 03 01:14 PM
Cobra trailer fittings for different glider makes & models John W Soaring 4 September 24th 03 03:21 PM
FS: Cobra Trailer Ed Byars Soaring 0 September 22nd 03 04:47 PM