More stupidity about nuked-up Cessnas

Old June 29th 05, 11:51 PM
Kev

If the nation is going to start securing 100 horsepower aircraft
against terrorists, it should first find ways to prevent cars and
trucks being used for terrorist purposes.

But people don't think that will happen, so they're not impacted.

AOPA should team up with boating orgranizations. Start pointing out
that if GA is locked down because of 9/11, then if a small boat is used
next for terrorism, boating might get hit too. There would be a much
larger outcry from the public over boat restrictions than we'll get
from pilots over airplanes.

Kev

Old June 30th 05, 12:22 AM
Larry Dighera

On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 22:07:40 +0000 (UTC),
(Paul Tomblin) wrote in ::

In a previous article, Larry Dighera said:
Perhaps the thing to do is to e-mail the author of the article, Ms.
Alexandra Marks, and educate her about how absurd the fear of little
GA aircraft is:

You did read the WHOLE article, didn't you? The last two paragraphs, the
most important part of any article, where she says several things that
you'd probably agree with?

Yes. I read the WHOLE article. It seemed to question the security of
GA aircraft as possible terrorists weapons. The fact that she thought
that issue worth publicizing calls her journalistic ethics into
question IMO.

Old June 30th 05, 12:27 AM
Larry Dighera

On 29 Jun 2005 15:51:11 -0700, "Kev" wrote in
.com::

If the nation is going to start securing 100 horsepower aircraft
against terrorists, it should first find ways to prevent cars and
trucks being used for terrorist purposes.

But people don't think that will happen, so they're not impacted.

If we question the TSA's failure to address automobile and truck
security, perhaps they'll be forced to issue a position statement on
that subject that could be applied to GA aircraft.

AOPA should team up with boating orgranizations. Start pointing out
that if GA is locked down because of 9/11, then if a small boat is used
next for terrorism, boating might get hit too. There would be a much
larger outcry from the public over boat restrictions than we'll get
from pilots over airplanes.

Kev

That seems like an excellent suggestion.
Old June 30th 05, 01:21 AM
nrp

How about off-road motorcycles? They could carry amost as much as a
Cessna 150, & with a skilled operator can go up stairs & even thru a
door etc.

Old June 30th 05, 04:26 AM
Franklin Newton

They have already used small boats and they are a much more effective weapon
than a C150 (USS COLE).

Old June 30th 05, 04:40 AM
NW_PILOT

"Kev" wrote in message
oups.com...
If the nation is going to start securing 100 horsepower aircraft
against terrorists, it should first find ways to prevent cars and
trucks being used for terrorist purposes.

But people don't think that will happen, so they're not impacted.

AOPA should team up with boating orgranizations. Start pointing out
that if GA is locked down because of 9/11, then if a small boat is used
next for terrorism, boating might get hit too. There would be a much
larger outcry from the public over boat restrictions than we'll get
from pilots over airplanes.

Kev

Us Americans just lost our right to freedom of speech and expression due to
the new Internet obscenity law

Old June 30th 05, 10:42 AM
S.

"Andrew Gideon" wrote in message
gonline.com...
S. wrote:

For me, this falls into the "Christmas Day expected to fall on December
25th this year" school of "journalism".

I be impressed by that from a journalist; it's not wrong.

LOL. Nice !

S.

Old June 30th 05, 07:50 PM
Andrew Gideon

Franklin Newton wrote:

They have already used small boats and they are a much more effective
weapon than a C150 (USS COLE).

If AOPA chose to go on the offensive, it could collect/provide statistics on
the use/success rates of various vehicle types as terrorist weapons.

I'd not mind seeing airlines forced out of Newark (EWR), for example, into a
new TSA-approved airport in the middle of nowhere. Newark would make a
great GA airport grin.

- Andrew

Old June 30th 05, 08:28 PM
John Galban

Greg Farris wrote:
Paul has it right.
The article shows that the author did her homework, and reported the AOPA
side of the story fairly accurately. That's proof that it's working, and we
have to keep hammering away at it.

While there were some accurate statemnents, saying that this author
did her homework seems a bit over the top. You must have a much lower
standard for your news than I do. Were GA airports really closed down
for 3 months following 9/11 while the TSA pondered searches and metal
detectors at those types of airports? If that really happened, I must
have just arrived from a parallel universe. Was the drunk 20-something
kid who stole the plane last week flying around for 5 hrs. (no) until
he was "detected" (no) and forced to land (no)? It would seem to me
that the most basic surfing of a few actual news sites would have
provided some factual information concerning these events. This story
has all the earmarks of someone who was just too lazy to do even the
most basic research.

John Galban=====N4BQ (PA28-180)

Meanwhile - the world has changed, and no, it is no longer cool to park an
aiplane in an open access area with the key readily available. Get
real, and get over it.

G Faris

Old June 30th 05, 08:35 PM
Jonathan Goodish

In article ,
Larry Dighera wrote:
If the nation is going to start securing 100 horsepower aircraft
against terrorists, it should first find ways to prevent cars and
trucks being used for terrorist purposes.

Since most folks drive, there isn't a push or desire to restrict THEIR
freedoms. They have no problem, however, in restricting YOUR freedom to
fly.

JKG