German friend ask for advice about soaring in the US this summer

Old December 4th 12, 04:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Terry Pitts

Default German friend ask for advice about soaring in the US this summer

All,

One of the guys in my flying club is planning a trip to the US next summer after he finishes his Abitur (High School+ graduation exams).

He's asked me for a recommendation on where he could spend some time flying.. He has some flexibility in his schedule, and I'm not sure of his plans since they won't be fully made until after the flying location question is resolved.

He's flown ASK-21, ASK-18, LS-1, and Discus, so flying something in the US shouldn't be hard. I've made him aware of the FAA's webpage about how to pursue a certificate, either based on his German GPL or an independent one.

I think that somewhere that flies seven days a week would be best. Somewhere with aerotow and winch would be great. I can see value to thermalling over the desert in Arizona or Texas. There's great experience to be gained flying ridges in Pennsylvania or Tennessee. Summer probably doesn't offer great wave at Minden...

I don't want this to be "where's the one best place in the whole world/US to soar." Instead, I solicit your input as to places he should look into and consider visiting. Some sort of bunkhouse or cheap, cheaper, cheapest hotel is a must. Reasonable access to a major airport is a good planning consideration, too.

Despite being an American with an FAA commercial glider certificate, I've only really flown gliders in the US on two occasions - the initial add-on rating and the commercial - so I'm ill prepared to help a nice young man.

Thanks for your input, and I'm ducking...

Terry
Old December 4th 12, 05:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
son_of_flubber

On Tuesday, December 4, 2012 11:21:38 AM UTC-5, Terry Pitts wrote:

He's flown ASK-21, ASK-18, LS-1, and Discus, so flying something in the US shouldn't be hard.

He should fly a SGS 2-33 at least once (for the cross-cultural experience).
Old December 4th 12, 06:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
aerodyne

In this case, may I suggest SoCal. MVA is open 6 days. Warner Springs
possible as well. I know a few clubs that would be glad to have him.

aerodyne.
Old December 4th 12, 06:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Sundance Aviation in Moriarty, NM has two G-103s and an LS-4 for rent, aero
tow only. We have high desert and mountain soaring and Sundance is open 7
days per week in May through October (Tuesday-Sunday in the remainder of the
year). There's also the Albuquerque Soaring Club on the airport.

Old December 4th 12, 08:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Terry Pitts

2-33

But I like the guy!

I guess I should be careful; when I do the CFIG next year I might end up in the back of a lot of 2-33's!
Old December 5th 12, 02:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
son_of_flubber

On Tuesday, December 4, 2012 3:59:54 PM UTC-5, Terry Pitts wrote:
2-33

But I like the guy!

You'd be surprised. A lot of young people respond very positively to the retro look/feel of the 2-33. Those thick Buddy Holly style glasses are also considered very hip.
Old December 5th 12, 11:32 AM
Helge_Zembold Helge_Zembold is offline
Junior Member

Location: Ingolstadt, Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Pitts View Post
2-33

But I like the guy!

I guess I should be careful; when I do the CFIG next year I might end up in the back of a lot of 2-33's!
Hi Terry :-)

I went to Hollister, about 2 hours south of SFO, to get my BFR after the validation of my German GPL. It's a commercial operation but as far as I remember there is also club operation there (according to OLC-flights). I did the BFR on the 2-33 which was a great experience... But you should advise your buddy about the costs, I spent about $300 for the BFR.

Helge
Old December 5th 12, 01:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie Papa[_2_]

I suggest you have him consider York Soaring Association near Toronto Canada. www.yorksoaring.com. We have hosted several students from France and one from Germany in recent summers. We fly 7 days a week, but offerr aerotow only. There is easy access from Toronto International Airport, a large fleet, on-field cheap accomodation, and a large contingent of youth pilots. Acro instruction is available too.
Old December 5th 12, 05:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
bumper[_4_]

There are a lot of good places to soar in the USA. However, when all is considered, it's hard to beat what SoaringNV at Minden, Nevada has to offer. Modern fleet, including a couple of Duo Discus, newer ASK-21, LS-4 and more. Occasionally the staff is absolutely superb (I only tow for them part time :c). Awesome scenery and romping summertime thermals and cloudstreets.

Have a look at http://www.soaringnv.com/

But also do a search on soaringnv and read some of the reviews. Turns out when you work hard to make customers happy . . . you get good feedback!

bumper
Old December 5th 12, 11:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Best choice...Moriarty,NM. Friendly Club and Comercial operation. 7 days days a week....utter flying paradise.

Damn good choice... Minden,NV

Very Good Choice... Warner Springs. Garrett will make sure he has a blast. However the weather may be a tad limiting compared to Moriarty