Hoisting ASK 13

Old January 9th 13, 01:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Hoisting ASK 13

Luckily our club keeps adding gliders! We are running out of room and would like to hoist our K13 off the hangar floor. Does anyone have any pictures of a cradle or strap arrangement that has been proven to work with a K13?

Lane
Old January 10th 13, 01:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Thanks Peter. A few pictures will save us quite a bit of head scratching.

Lane
Old January 10th 13, 03:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Email me directly and I can send pictures of gliders suspended in way that should help you.

Robert Mudd

Old January 10th 13, 10:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jim Crawford

At 17:37 10 January 2013, Peter Higgs wrote:
At 12:07 10 January 2013, Peter Higgs wrote:
At 08:49 10 January 2013, Peter Scholz wrote:
Am 09.01.2013 14:39, wrote:
Luckily our club keeps adding gliders! We are running out of room

and
would like to hoist our K13 off the hangar floor. Does anyone have any
pictures of a cradle or strap arrangement that has been proven to work

with
a K13?

Lane

We do this with our ASK13 since 25 years. I'll try to find some

pictures

and send them to you via private mail.
--
Peter Scholz
ASW24 JE

I have seen one K13 hoisted by a pair of contoured wooden beams below

each
wing, I think they were covered with thick carpeting, and used nylon
webbing to a central lift point. Remember... The CofG will be further
back towards the trailing edge without a pilot in the seat.

Thinking on from the above.. It was more likely that the beams were on

top
of the wing, with one strap under the fuselage at the rear of the wing

and
the other strap under the fuselage before the wing. Again using

carpeting
for added protection of the paint.

Take care with this strapping, you could risk crushing the lightweight
longitudinal stringer that shapes the fabric or, if its a K13 with a fibre
glass nose, crushing the shell which is a light fairing not a structure.
I've built a turning wheel which takes a K13 fuselage and enables me to
spin it along the roll axis for maintenance work. I've picked up on the two
10mm threaded bushes in the forward fuselage sides and they are welded into
the main structure. I think they are for trailer fittings, they could be a
good start for lifting the aircraft.

Jim