Best paint or treatment for glare reduction?

Old July 17th 07, 07:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank[_1_]

Default Best paint or treatment for glare reduction?

Hi,

I have a couple of 'hot spots' in the anti-reflective coating forward
of the instrument panel on my Ventus. In particular, the outline of
the forward vent shows up quite nicely in my forward view as a
reflection on the canopy. Almost like a gunsight - useful for locking
up on that glider ahead, but frustrating with no ammo! ;-).

Anyone know a good way of toning down the reflections? I have tried
using a black 'Sharpie' pen, but this doesn't seem to have as much
effect - too thin and/or too reflective. Same with black electrical
tape, with the added disadvantage of having to deal with tape residue.

Any help would be appreciated.

Frank (TA)

Old July 17th 07, 07:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
01-- Zero One

If it is something that you can paint, try using spray "blackboard"
paint. It is the least reflective of any paint that I have found. As
you may have discovered, "flat black" paint has quite a lot of shine to
it... at least compared to this stuff. In the photography studio
business, black velvet is used when you want the least reflective
surface possible... but that might look a little toooooooo funky in the
glider.

HTH,

Larry

"01"

ups.com:

Old July 17th 07, 07:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Cliff Hilty

At 18:36 17 July 2007, 01-- Zero One wrote:
In the photography studio
business, black velvet is used when you want the least
reflective
surface possible... but that might look a little toooooooo
funky in the
glider.

Thats what I have I believe I actually used 'Velveteen'
which is a synthetic version. I applied it with double
sided tape on all of the flats of the glare sheild.
It has worked great and give virtually no reflection.
In fact when I first put it on I could not believe
the difference in glare reduction. It has faded a little
over the years and now is closer to purple than black
but still working.

And an added benefit is that I get every good looking
line girl, glider pilot wife and women in general come
up and 'Rub' on my glare sheild and say 'Oooooohh thats
sexy'! My takeoff's have taken a a nose dive since
then :')

Old July 17th 07, 07:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
HL Falbaum

Thin black felt worked for my '27.

Hartley Falbaum
KF USA

Old July 19th 07, 01:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
5Z

On Jul 17, 12:59 pm, "HL Falbaum" wrote:
In the photography studio business, black velvet is used when you want the least
reflective surface possible... but that might look a little toooooooo funky in the glider.

That's what I use in my ASH-26E and it works like a charm. I tack it
down along the edges of the glare shield and a few places in the
middle where there's a reflex curve and it really doesn't look too
bad. Also stuck bits on the front air vent flapper, wrapped the
pushrod, etc...

This spring a made a few flights while making mods to the glare shield
form my MRX installation and without the velvet, the reflections were
amazing. This photo doesn't show the details of the installation, but
it does show the results. Note the reflected instruments high in the
field of view, but nothing up front.

http://ssa.org/test/Sport/PhotoGalle...4&PhotoId=2118

-Tom

Old July 19th 07, 01:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS

On Jul 17, 11:57 am, Cliff Hilty
wrote:

And an added benefit is that I get every good looking
line girl, glider pilot wife and women in general come
up and 'Rub' on my glare sheild and say 'Oooooohh thats
sexy'! My takeoff's have taken a a nose dive since
then :')

For extra style points, the Velveteen is best applied whilst wearing
bell bottoms.
Of course in Diamants and DGs alike, black velvet bell bottoms are
mandatory in-flight wear.
Jim

ACNE TREATMENT quelab22 Aviation Marketplace 0 January 27th 07 07:42 PM
Reduction Drive Jgrinder Home Built 0 April 24th 06 10:11 PM
Anti-corrosion treatment Paul kgyy Owning 1 September 13th 05 04:44 AM
Noise reduction David Findlay Home Built 10 July 23rd 05 05:18 PM
Drug Treatment - Pilot's License Julia Piloting 5 March 18th 04 02:03 AM