Cheap tiny video cameras - what works best?

Old February 7th 11, 11:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Guy[_7_]

Default Cheap tiny video cameras - what works best?

Just a few points on problems with interacting with the 808
microcameras via your computer.
First, supplied USB cables are very poor quality. If having problems,
first change to a USB cable that you know works well.
Second, the memory cards should be formatted outside of the camera.
Do not format the cards when they are in the camera.
Third, when formatting your cards, use FAT32.
These eliminated most of the issues I was having.
Also, the techy websites about these cameras emphasize these same
three things to eliminate most issues.
Guy
Old February 8th 11, 12:33 AM
Walt Connelly Walt Connelly is offline
Senior Member

Don't know what tiny and cheap is supposed to mean but I have a Kodak Play Sport camera that does 1080p video and also shoots stills at 5 MegaPixels I think. Easy to use in the air holding with one hand and has a nice sized screen to view your pics. Cost about 150 bucks if I remember correctly. Also waterproof to 3meters. Excellent video quality and sound.

Walt
Old February 8th 11, 03:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]

On 2/7/2011 3:33 PM, Walt Connelly wrote:
Don't know what tiny and cheap is supposed to mean but I have a Kodak
Play Sport camera that does 1080p video and also shoots stills at 5
MegaPixels I think. Easy to use in the air holding with one hand and
has a nice sized screen to view your pics. Cost about 150 bucks if I
remember correctly. Also waterproof to 3meters. Excellent video quality
and sound.

Cheap = less than $30 or so
Small = size of a pack of gum

I also intend to get a small, wide angle HD camera for cockpit and
external use that can run 8 hours and log it's internal GPS with the
video and audio. These are currently in the $250 to $350 range. A 3 axis
G sensor also desired, but not a show-stopper.

email me)
Old February 8th 11, 08:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
BruceGreeff

Hui Eric

I purchased a Panasonic Lumix TZ10 for the wide angle HD + GPS camera part.
Have not flown with it yet.

Bruce

--
Bruce Greeff
T59D #1771 & Std Cirrus #57
Old February 8th 11, 06:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]

Eric Greenwell wrote:
I also intend to get a small, wide angle HD camera for cockpit and
external use that can run 8 hours and log it's internal GPS with the
video and audio. These are currently in the $250 to $350 range. A 3 axis
G sensor also desired, but not a show-stopper.

It looks like a very nice upgrade from Panasonic TZ5 camera I have, and
the newest TZ20/ZS10 looks even better.

The kind of "flight recorder" camera I'm interested in are like the
ContourHD GPS and the SBX1100. The SBX1100 is HD, but they have an HD
version coming out "soon", according to the company. I envision them
being mounted permanently on the glider and recording the entire flight,
so recording duration is more important than image quality.

The ContourHD is weatherproof, an adavantage for external mounting; the
SBX1100 style isn't weatherproof, and more suited to the cockpit.

email me)