KX-155 LEDs

Old November 13th 03, 11:48 PM
Steven Barnes

Default KX-155 LEDs

Heh, on the way back from the avionics shop to get the IFR cert done and a
new VOR head installed, the LEDs went out on our #1 comm (KX-155). The first
2 digits ( 121.9, the 12 is gone). Just went out in flight. What is
involved in replacing the LEDs? Is it the whole cover?

We have to take the plane back again, since they couldn't finish the ifr
certification (leak in static system somewhere). So, I guess we'll have them
look at the radio too.

Any ideas? My wallet is panicking.

Thanks!

PP-ASEL

Old November 13th 03, 11:57 PM
Ron Natalie

"Steven Barnes" wrote in message om...
Heh, on the way back from the avionics shop to get the IFR cert done and a
new VOR head installed, the LEDs went out on our #1 comm (KX-155). The first
2 digits ( 121.9, the 12 is gone). Just went out in flight. What is
involved in replacing the LEDs? Is it the whole cover?

If it's a KX-155, they are not LED's. I've heard that sometimes you can get them back
by cleaning the contacts and reseating the display board. I've got a couple of segments
out as well.

Old November 14th 03, 12:03 AM
Steven Barnes

It's not just a couple segments, it's the whole 1st two numbers. We can
still dial a freq in, just have to count.

You can just pop the board/cover off the front? That's where the contacts
are?

Thanks. Sorry if this is common knowledge. 1st time airplane owner.

m...

Old November 14th 03, 02:35 AM
Stu Gotts

Not really common knowledge and you could screw it up if you're not
careful. You need to take the actual digits out, then clean the
contacts with a good cleaner or maybe even alcohol. If they're not
bad, this will bring them back to life. It's takes a bit of patience,
but it's not brain surgery.

On Thu, 13 Nov 2003 23:03:46 GMT, "Steven Barnes"
wrote:

It's not just a couple segments, it's the whole 1st two numbers. We can
still dial a freq in, just have to count.

You can just pop the board/cover off the front? That's where the contacts
are?

Thanks. Sorry if this is common knowledge. 1st time airplane owner.

"Ron Natalie" wrote in message
om...

. com...

Old November 14th 03, 03:12 AM

Steven Barnes wrote:
: Heh, on the way back from the avionics shop to get the IFR cert done and a
: new VOR head installed, the LEDs went out on our #1 comm (KX-155). The first
: 2 digits ( 121.9, the 12 is gone). Just went out in flight. What is
: involved in replacing the LEDs? Is it the whole cover?

Along those lines, I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions
for my KN-53 Nav. It's got similar plasma display as the KX-155, but
blanks out when it's really humid in the plane... like after a rain and
it's cold and damp in there. I took the lid off and snooped around for
cold solder joints, but couldn't find any. Upon poking around, I grounded
the high-voltage (using my fingertips... slightly unexpeted... yeoch!).
That blanked the digits too... SO, I'm thinking that it's a high-impedance
"short" when it's humid that kills the HV drive for the display. Any
thoughts on a coating, spacer, insulator? Sound plausible?

Thanks,
-Cory

* The prime directive of Linux: *
* - learn what you don't know, *
* - teach what you do. *
* (Just my 20 USm$) *

Old November 17th 03, 09:34 PM
John Mireley

Stu Gotts wrote:
Not really common knowledge and you could screw it up if you're not
careful. You need to take the actual digits out, then clean the
contacts with a good cleaner or maybe even alcohol. If they're not
bad, this will bring them back to life. It's takes a bit of patience,
but it's not brain surgery.

A pencil eraser is commonly used to burnish the contacts.

John Mireley

Old November 18th 03, 01:47 AM
Jay Masino

John Mireley wrote:
A pencil eraser is commonly used to burnish the contacts.

You need to be careful with this method, because you can actually wear
some of the gold off the contacts (and eventually make the situation
worse).

-- Jay

__!__
Jay and Teresa Masino ___(_)___
http://www2.ari.net/jmasino/ ! ! !

Checkout http://www.oc-adolfos.com/
for the best Italian food in Ocean City, MD and...
Checkout http://www.brolow.com/ for authentic Blues music on Delmarva

Old November 18th 03, 02:55 AM
Stu Gotts

On Mon, 17 Nov 2003 15:34:43 -0500, John Mireley
wrote:

Stu Gotts wrote:
Not really common knowledge and you could screw it up if you're not
careful. You need to take the actual digits out, then clean the
contacts with a good cleaner or maybe even alcohol. If they're not
bad, this will bring them back to life. It's takes a bit of patience,
but it's not brain surgery.

A pencil eraser is commonly used to burnish the contacts.

John Mireley

Ah yes, forgot about that one!
Old November 18th 03, 05:03 PM
Mike Z.

Try polishing with a dollar bill.

Takes the gunk away and leaves the plating where it belongs.

Mike Z

Old November 18th 03, 08:35 PM
John Purner

I have the same problem with one of my KX155's and my ADF. Funny thing is
that about five minutes after takeoff. The problem clears up. It seems like
low voltage, but it isn't.

--
John Purner
Editor - The $100 Hamburger

More LED's Veeduber Home Built 19 June 9th 04 10:07 PM
LED tail strobe Jeff Peterson Home Built 41 May 15th 04 03:13 PM
LEDs for Nav Lights - Jim Weir Scott Gettings Home Built 3 February 17th 04 02:53 AM
LEDs with Strobe lights pekka1510 Home Built 11 August 31st 03 11:36 PM
LEDs Morgans Home Built 6 August 19th 03 03:49 AM