Capt. Al Haynes sorta OT.

Old December 30th 03, 11:45 PM
James Blakely

Default Capt. Al Haynes sorta OT.

I know everyone hear remember Capt. Haynes. Capt. Haynes was the pilot of
United flight 232 when the center engine suffered an uncontained failure
and the DC-10 lost all of its hydraulic systems. Capt. Haynes landed the
ship at Sioux City using differential power. His handling of the emergency
is considered an example on how to manage cockpit resources.

However, do you know the family tragedies he has had to face since then?
His wife passed away in 1999 and his son died in 1997. Now it his daughter
who needs help. Laurie Haynes Arguello has been diagnosed with aplastic
anemia. The only treatment is a bone marrow transplant. A donor has been
located but the cost of the transplant and follow-up treatment is over
$250,000.

Capt. Haynes is trying to raise the money for the treatment. So far, he has
raised about $30,000.

If you wish to make a donation to Laurie's treatment, please click:
http://www.transplants.org/

According to the site, the donations are tax-deductible but you should check
with your tax advisor.

NOTE: I am not representing Capt. Haynes, Ms. Arguello, nor the National
Foundation for Transplants. I read this story in the paper and decided to
make a donation. I just thought that as pilots, you may be interested as
well. Go ahead and flame me if you want.

Old December 30th 03, 11:59 PM
James Blakely

"James Blakely" wrote in
message ...
I know everyone hear remember Capt. Haynes. Capt. Haynes was the pilot of

Of course, the above sentense should read: "I know everyon here remembers
Capt. Haynes."

Please excuse the typo.

Old December 31st 03, 01:54 AM
Mike Spera

Flame you? Nope. Made a donation. This guy has been through hell enough
times. Maybe United should chip in $100k or so. Capt. Haynes and the
cockpit team probably saved the airline $100 million in additional
lawsuits (over 100 pax lived through the crash).

Any United employees on line? Please pass this request on.
Thanks,
Mike

James Blakely wrote:
[...]

The Worlds Uncensored News Source

Old January 1st 04, 12:15 AM
Jay Honeck

Capt. Haynes is trying to raise the money for the treatment. So far, he
has
raised about $30,000.

I don't mean to be cynical (that's Martin's job), but something doesn't add
up here...

Capt. Haynes is a retired airline captain, and a sought-after speaker on the
mashed-potato circuit. As such he should set for life, and pretty much
rolling in money.

Yet he can't borrow/raise $250K to save his daughter's life?
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old January 1st 04, 01:07 AM
Richard Moore

Link to the article:

http://msnbc.msn.com/id/3815583/

Here is the article:
Hero pilot has one more life to save
by Chris Genna, Journal Reporter
The King County Journal
Updated: 7:19 a.m. ET Dec. 27, 2003
December 27, 2003 - SEATAC -- Capt. Al Haynes became a national figure in
1989 when he managed to land United Airlines Flight 232 in Sioux City, Iowa,
saving 185 lives, even though he had almost no control of the DC-10 after
its center engine exploded.

Now, he hopes his lingering fame can help save the life of his daughter,
Laurie Haynes Arguello, 39, by raising enough money to pay for her bone
marrow transplant.

Arguello was diagnosed in December 2001 with aplastic anemia, a disorder in
which her bone marrow can't produce enough red or white blood cells. Lack of
red cells produces anemia; lack of white ones means the system can't fight
off infections.

A form of chemotherapy called ATG, for antithymocyte globulin, ``worked for
a while,'' she said, meaning, ``I didn't need transfusions once a week.''
The first time she had ATG, it reduced her symptoms for nine months. There
was some hope the disorder had been cured. It wasn't.

Even though the failure of ATG treatment meant a bone marrow transplant was
the only way to save her life, she had another ATG session because, ``We
hoped it would hold me out until we could collect the deposit.''

A marrow donor has been lined up and is waiting for the call. But what
Arguello calls a deposit is $156,000 that her insurance will not pay. ``That
gets you in the door to do the transplant,'' she said, but after care --
medicines, doctor visits and such -- could easily cost another $100,000.

And even after that, Haynes said, ``She'll probably need anti-rejection
drugs the rest of her life.''

So Haynes and Arquello are trying to raise $250,000. ``A committee of 25
friends of Laurie's and mine set up a foundation,'' he said, to raise money
for her transplant.

In the less than two weeks since the effort started, it raised a little more
than $30,000, Haynes said, a strong start, boosted by Haynes' associates in
the ALPA, the Airline Pilots Association, and the Association of Flight
Attendants.

Both unions have published links to the fund drive on their Web pages. So
has the Aircraft Owners and Pilots Association.

A Seattle television station carried a story last week. MSNBC did one
Tuesday, and the story is to be picked up on NBC affiliates nationwide.

Arguello can't hide a little bitterness about the medical insurance
industry. ``I paid for insurance for many, many years when I wasn't sick;
then, when I needed it, it was ... um ... it was a tough one.''

She explained that for the eight years she was employed by Northwest
Janitorial Supply, she and her employer paid into a Regents Health Care
group plan. After she got sick and couldn't work, her employer kept her on
the group plan five or six months, as long as they could.

But when she had to apply for an individual plan, she was refused for a
pre-existing condition.

She got insurance through Washington state, but it covers only $100,000 of
the $256,000 she needs just for the marrow transplant.

About everything else, Arguello is upbeat, talking about her condition, the
treatment, the fund-raising effort as if her life did not depend on it.

As she talks to a reporter, her 9-year-old son Michael -- ``There are so
many Mikes in the family, I call him Cruz,'' Haynes said -- listens
politely, but he's heard it all. The fourth-grader's favorite subjects are
math and P.E., affinities he hopes to use in a career as professional soccer
player.

Haynes too has the matter-of-fact, almost stoic, determination that drove
him to write the book on controlling a DC-10 jetliner using only throttles,
saving the lives of more than half of the 296 souls aboard at Sioux City
July 19, 1989.

``My wife died in 1999, my oldest son was killed in a motorcycle crash (in
1997) and now this is coming up with my daughter. So we're having our share
of bad luck; but we learned a long time ago that it doesn't do you any good
to cry about it. You just do what you can and deal with what you have.''

CONTRIBUTIONS

www.friendsforlauri.com or write to the National Foundation for Transplants
in behalf of Laurie Arguello:

NFT for Laurie Arguello

P.O. Box 7781

Covington WA 98042

MORE FROM TOP STORIES

Old January 1st 04, 02:33 PM

Jay Honeck wrote:

Capt. Haynes is a retired airline captain, and a sought-after speaker on the
mashed-potato circuit. As such he should set for life, and pretty much
rolling in money.

There are some retired TWA pilots that need to work to make ends meet. There
are some recently retired pilots from "reorganized" carriers who have lost a
good portion of their retirement.

Then, there's those overpaid school teachers in California who retire at 100%,
get COLA increases from a bankrupt state, and who are rolling in dough.~

Old January 1st 04, 03:47 PM
Stu Gotts

On Thu, 01 Jan 2004 13:59:54 GMT, "Matthew S. Whiting"

Jay Honeck wrote:

Capt. Haynes is a retired airline captain, and a sought-after speaker on the
mashed-potato circuit. As such he should set for life, and pretty much
rolling in money.

There are some retired TWA pilots that need to work to make ends meet. There
are some recently retired pilots from "reorganized" carriers who have lost a
good portion of their retirement.

That is truly infortunate, but I have a hard time feeling too sorry for
folks that made well over $100K/year and didn't sock away a little on
their own for retirement. I make less than most senior airline pilots
and I'm not planning on having SS be available when I retire nor my
company pension. If one or both are still there, that will be gravey.

Then, there's those overpaid school teachers in California who retire at 100%,
get COLA increases from a bankrupt state, and who are rolling in dough.~

I'm not familiar with CA (thankfully!), but in most states teachers make
a LOT less than airline pilots.

And put up with mounds more bull**** for about 10 hours a day and at
least 20 days out of the month.

Old January 1st 04, 04:13 PM
Jonathan Goodish

In article VLIIb.707319$Tr4.1787059@attbi_s03,
"Jay Honeck" wrote:
I don't mean to be cynical (that's Martin's job), but something doesn't add
up here...

Capt. Haynes is a retired airline captain, and a sought-after speaker on the
mashed-potato circuit. As such he should set for life, and pretty much
rolling in money.

Yet he can't borrow/raise $250K to save his daughter's life?

First of all, do we know that Capt. Haynes and not some other person is
behind the public fundraising for his daughter?

Secondly, do we know how much Capt. Haynes is making these days, or what
his expenses have been through his misfortune?

And thirdly, do we know what Capt. Haynes' relationship is with his
daughter? One of the articles that I read seemed to suggest that he
didn't view his daughter's life as any more important than someone
else's, which I thought was a little strange. Maybe I misinterpreted
what he said, or perhaps he was misquoted, but even if he was trying to
be objective about this sort of thing, it is human nature to value
family and friends more than others.

JKG