Which sustainer system would you chose for your sailplane?

Old September 24th 12, 08:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Which sustainer system would you chose for your sailplane?

Thank you for adding FES to Dealers Contact at ASA webpage!

There are two packs for a few reasons:
-at FES batteries are charged outside of glider, so with two packs weigh of one pack is only 15kg, which is still acceptable for holding them in hands.
-Voltage of one fully charged pack is 58V which is safe enough for hadling.

Regards,

Luka
Old September 24th 12, 09:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
waremark

On Monday, September 24, 2012 8:51:33 AM UTC+1, wrote:
Thank you for adding FES to Dealers Contact at ASA webpage!

There are two packs for a few reasons:

-at FES batteries are charged outside of glider, so with two packs weigh of one pack is only 15kg, which is still acceptable for holding them in hands.

-Voltage of one fully charged pack is 58V which is safe enough for hadling.

Regards,

Luka

Luka, I don't see why you cannot give at least a large part of the information which I or Eric requested. By all means use manufacturer quoted information for the rival products. I must say if I was in the market for a sustainer I would be looking for such information.

I have worked out from the FES website that for the FES system you claim 45 kg weight, no increase in drag (can that really be true? - many people would find that really important), 5,000 foot of climb, and 3 knots rate of climb. The only new 15m plus glider available with the system is the LAK 17 15/18, but you say the system is technically suitable for retro-fitting to a wide range of gliders. Have I got all that right?
Old September 24th 12, 10:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Greg Arnold

On 9/24/2012 1:57 PM, waremark wrote:
On Monday, September 24, 2012 8:51:33 AM UTC+1, wrote:
Luka, I don't see why you cannot give at least a large part of the
information which I or Eric requested. By all means use manufacturer
quoted information for the rival products. I must say if I was in the
market for a sustainer I would be looking for such information. I have
worked out from the FES website that for the FES system you claim 45
kg weight, no increase in drag (can that really be true? - many people
would find that really important), 5,000 foot of climb, and 3 knots
rate of climb. The only new 15m plus glider available with the system
is the LAK 17 15/18, but you say the system is technically suitable
for retro-fitting to a wide range of gliders. Have I got all that right?

Even if Luka doesn't put info about his competition on his webpage, it
would help if he could at least put info about his own product in an
easily read and easily found table.

Or get Paul Remde on board as his US representative!
Old September 24th 12, 11:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Renny[_2_]

On Monday, September 24, 2012 3:56:17 PM UTC-6, Greg Arnold wrote:
[...]

Here's the URL for a PDF brochure that was handed out at the 2012 Reno Convention on the FES. Hopefully, it will answer some of the many questions that are out there!

http://www.front-electric-sustainer....katalog_V2.pdf

Thanks - Renny
Old September 24th 12, 11:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Greg Arnold

On 9/24/2012 3:39 PM, Renny wrote:

Here's the URL for a PDF brochure that was handed out at the 2012 Reno Convention on the FES. Hopefully, it will answer some of the many questions that are out there!

http://www.front-electric-sustainer....katalog_V2.pdf

Thanks - Renny

Interesting that the Silent has more battery capacity than the LAK. I
wonder if the LAK can be modified to take the larger battery capacity.
Old September 25th 12, 12:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Renny[_2_]

On Monday, September 24, 2012 4:53:12 PM UTC-6, Greg Arnold wrote:
On 9/24/2012 3:39 PM, Renny wrote:

Here's the URL for a PDF brochure that was handed out at the 2012 Reno Convention on the FES. Hopefully, it will answer some of the many questions that are out there!

http://www.front-electric-sustainer....katalog_V2.pdf

Thanks - Renny

Interesting that the Silent has more battery capacity than the LAK. I

wonder if the LAK can be modified to take the larger battery capacity.

Greg,
My LAK-17B FES does have two batteries with 14 cells...so it does have the following:

"2 x 14S LiPo, 20 kW continuous power"

The earlier installations had the 12 cell LiPo batteries, but it was upped to 14 cells for the newer 17B installations. Each battery is 58 volts, so when fully charged it starts off at 116 volts. FYI, I did write an article for Soaring on the LAK-17B FES and I am hopeful that it will be published soon.

Thx - Renny
Old September 25th 12, 12:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Greg Arnold

On 9/24/2012 4:23 PM, Renny wrote:

Interesting that the Silent has more battery capacity than the LAK. I

wonder if the LAK can be modified to take the larger battery capacity.

Greg,
My LAK-17B FES does have two batteries with 14 cells...so it does have the following:

"2 x 14S LiPo, 20 kW continuous power"

The earlier installations had the 12 cell LiPo batteries, but it was upped to 14 cells for the newer 17B installations. Each battery is 58 volts, so when fully charged it starts off at 116 volts. FYI, I did write an article for Soaring on the LAK-17B FES and I am hopeful that it will be published soon.

Thx - Renny

Renny:

What type of climb rate, total climb, and range are you seeing?
Old September 25th 12, 03:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Renny[_2_]

On Monday, September 24, 2012 5:38:14 PM UTC-6, Greg Arnold wrote:
On 9/24/2012 4:23 PM, Renny wrote:

Interesting that the Silent has more battery capacity than the LAK. I

wonder if the LAK can be modified to take the larger battery capacity.

Greg,

My LAK-17B FES does have two batteries with 14 cells...so it does have the following:

"2 x 14S LiPo, 20 kW continuous power"

The earlier installations had the 12 cell LiPo batteries, but it was upped to 14 cells for the newer 17B installations. Each battery is 58 volts, so when fully charged it starts off at 116 volts. FYI, I did write an article for Soaring on the LAK-17B FES and I am hopeful that it will be published soon.

Thx - Renny

Renny:

What type of climb rate, total climb, and range are you seeing?

I have had limited experience running the FES on the LAK-17B FES as this is my first season using the FES and the ship was also away for several weeks this summer at the WGC in Uvalde. I am also very fortunate to fly out of Moriarty, and with our excellent conditions, I have not had to use it (thus far)out of necessity.

So, I have no data on endurance and range, but in conducting some local (unscientific) testing, I have been able to climb (dry) on a hot day (over 95 deg F on the ground) at over 200 fpm at altitudes of 8,500 to 9,000 feet MSL in the 18m configuration. FYI, the Moriarty airport is at 6,200 feet. Hopefully, you will see additional and more scientific data as Idaflieg testing was conducted in August and results are expected this winter.
Thx - Renny
Old September 25th 12, 04:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]

On 9/24/2012 7:31 PM, Renny wrote:
I have had limited experience running the FES on the LAK-17B FES as
this is my first season using the FES and the ship was also away for
several weeks this summer at the WGC in Uvalde. I am also very
fortunate to fly out of Moriarty, and with our excellent conditions,
I have not had to use it (thus far)out of necessity.

Next year, you should press a little harder, and get some value out the
FES. Then, you will discover it can set you free to explore more than
you imagine now!

email me)
Old September 25th 12, 04:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Renny[_2_]

On Monday, September 24, 2012 9:04:19 PM UTC-6, Eric Greenwell wrote:
On 9/24/2012 7:31 PM, Renny wrote:

I have had limited experience running the FES on the LAK-17B FES as

this is my first season using the FES and the ship was also away for

several weeks this summer at the WGC in Uvalde. I am also very

fortunate to fly out of Moriarty, and with our excellent conditions,

I have not had to use it (thus far)out of necessity.

Next year, you should press a little harder, and get some value out the

FES. Then, you will discover it can set you free to explore more than

you imagine now!

email me)

Eric,
Indeed...That is definitely the plan!