Fun Cobra trailer conversions?

Old July 19th 17, 09:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Fun Cobra trailer conversions?

During the Nephi OLC event, we set up chairs inside the open Cobra trailer. It was very comfortable to sit underneath the opened canopy, protected from the burning sun.

Someone mentioned that pilots have converted their trailers in numerous ways. For example, one report told of cots and tables and etc.

Does anyone have photos or knowledge of fun things to do with a Cobra trailer that makes it more fun for crew?

Raul Boerner
DM
Old July 20th 17, 03:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS

On Wednesday, July 19, 2017 at 7:00:13 PM UTC-7, Michael Opitz wrote:

Be very careful with open trailers. Any wind loads can really wreak
havoc on the front hinges and bulkhead of the trailer. An open lid has a
huge moment arm to twist on the front hinges. If a dust devil comes
along with the trailer open, it will likely be "toast".

So much for fun!
But he's right, an easy way to wreck a Klappdachanhaenger.
Try doing it this way...
http://cobracoaches.net/
Jim
Old July 20th 17, 04:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

I really _/NEED/_ one of those!

I wonder if they'd make me one that would carry my Harley, my wife's
car, our Stemme, AND have a king size bed AND a hot tub... 8-)

5J

On 7/19/2017 8:13 PM, JS wrote:
snip
http://cobracoaches.net/
Jim

--
Dan, 5J

Old July 20th 17, 05:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)

"Speed (or comfort) is money, how fast (or comfortable) do you want to go?"
;-)
Old July 20th 17, 05:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

If I was going to use my Cobra trailer for social functions the first two things that I would make are rigid props to hold the top open to relieve stress on the gas struts and sturdy guy ropes + ground anchors to stop the top from swaying.
Old July 20th 17, 06:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

The stress on the gas struts doesn't go away when you lower the lid. Well, the compression load doesn't. In fact, arguably it goes up slightly since the geometry of the base/top changes.

Obviously, however, the loads caused by the top being buffeted and twisted by the wind add stress. What can fail catastrophically without warning are the mounting bolts that hold the gas springs, and twisting/torsional loads aren't good for them.

Another good reason to lower the top is to keep the gas spring piston inside the cylinder where it's protected. This is probably of much more concern to older trailers where the gas struts are mounted externally (e.g., early Komets) and dust can more easily reach the chromed surface.

I also assume that the closed top positions the compressed struts so the oil in the cylinders runs down to the seals and keeps them lubricated. I've never checked but my gas springs still boost my Cobra top up without my assistance and they're 25+ years old! So I assume Spindelberger knew what they were doing.

If you're storing gas springs at home for future need, I would suggest hanging them piston down so the oil collects around the seal. Not upside down or just lying flat in a toolbox or on a shelf.

There's nothing like planning ahead and having, say, a spare LS landing gear actuating gas spring and then pulling it out when you need it at a contest...to discover it's almost as weak as the old one because the high-pressure gas has escaped around a dry seal.

Chip Bearden
"JB"

Old July 20th 17, 08:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
OHM Ω http://aviation.derosaweb.net

There was a retrieve incident in 2015 out West where a severe wind gust sent an empty Cobra trailer flying into a helper which landing him in the hospital. Lots of rehab ensued. So beware.