Smart Phone Contest Sailplane Tracking

Old September 25th 17, 06:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tango Eight

Default Smart Phone Contest Sailplane Tracking

It works really well, even in the boonies at New Castle.

Check it out, http://tinyurl.com/y9tzqgpk

I'm using the (free) GlideTrack iOS app. There's a similar android app. I'd like to encourage others to do the same.

That's a link to the embedded SSA tracking page for 9/23 @ Region 4 South. If that page doesn't work for you, let's compare notes.

If it does work for you, feel free to compliment me on my off airport field selection and textbook pattern :-).

best,
Evan Ludeman / T8
Old September 25th 17, 06:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Koerner

For android the app is IGCDroid. I've been using that along with Delorme InReach. IGCDroid works great too. It's very simple to start it up and just let it run. The beauty of the phone app is that it provides fine resolution mapping and it's practically free. The InReach unit provides coverage where there isn't cell service. In the west, there's a lot of territory where cell phones don't work; I think, less so in the east. I've added a power port to my panel so that I don't have to be concerned about draining the phone battery. Having the phone running has some other benefits as well.
Old September 25th 17, 07:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tom Kelley #711

On Monday, September 25, 2017 at 12:00:55 PM UTC-6, Steve Koerner wrote:
For android the app is IGCDroid. I've been using that along with Delorme InReach. IGCDroid works great too. It's very simple to start it up and just let it run. The beauty of the phone app is that it provides fine resolution mapping and it's practically free. The InReach unit provides coverage where there isn't cell service. In the west, there's a lot of territory where cell phones don't work; I think, less so in the east. I've added a power port to my panel so that I don't have to be concerned about draining the phone battery. Having the phone running has some other benefits as well.

I also am using the IGC Droid since last spring. Simple down load and install. But cost's $10. My data usage is extremely small and runs close to 6 hrs on my cell. I carry a 15,000 ma battery that will charge my cell if needed. Works everywhere I have flown including the remote area's North and east of Carrizzo Peak, NM ( where the Aliens landed) where there is no cell coverage on the ground!
Still carry a spot as the features it offers could be life saving.

Yes, Evan, I watched your "text book" pattern.

Best. #711.

Best
Old September 25th 17, 07:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
rudolph stutzmann

On Monday, September 25, 2017 at 2:00:55 PM UTC-4, Steve Koerner wrote:
For android the app is IGCDroid. I've been using that along with Delorme InReach. IGCDroid works great too. It's very simple to start it up and just let it run. The beauty of the phone app is that it provides fine resolution mapping and it's practically free. The InReach unit provides coverage where there isn't cell service. In the west, there's a lot of territory where cell phones don't work; I think, less so in the east. I've added a power port to my panel so that I don't have to be concerned about draining the phone battery. Having the phone running has some other benefits as well.

I'm a big fan of IGC droid for what it's capable of. I run it off my Samsung smart phone (Galaxy note 3, I run it in the background while also running XCSoar). In addition to what was already mentioned, once it detects you've taken off it can send an email to a preset email address notifying that you've taken off and will do the same with landing. It can also send to an email address your GPS coordinates/pin on a map of where you are once you've landed. I also use it to track flights for OLC submissions.
What type of panel port due you have? I'm looking into options but currently I have a rechargeable power pack that I use and have had no problems with 5+hr flights.

Old September 25th 17, 07:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

does it run in the background even if the screen is off? may be worth the10 bucks then as battery usage should be extremely low.
Old September 25th 17, 08:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tom Kelley #711

On Monday, September 25, 2017 at 12:38:25 PM UTC-6, wrote:
does it run in the background even if the screen is off? may be worth the10 bucks then as battery usage should be extremely low.

Yes, I turn off the wifi to help save power. My cell screen goes dark after 2 minutes but the IGC Droid still runs. It also saves the flights flown so you can review them on the phone or email them. I have a Samsung Galaxy 4. Setup is fairly simple. Upper right of screen has several items which will open new windows to use and setup with. Altitude read out and maybe the position updates are 1 second on them?

I now carry mine in a cloth case and set it on the inside canopy frame. Have carried it in my shirt pocket and it worked their also.

Best. Tom #711.
Old September 25th 17, 09:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Koerner

Tom: I think you may be misled in thinking that IGCDroid works everywhere. Whenever the program can't link up with a cell tower, the program ques the data on your phone instead. When it makes the next cell connection it transmits that missing data. The result is that you do end up with a full trace as long as you do eventually land someplace that has coverage; although the data won't always be real time. If you land somewhere remote that doesn't have coverage, you'll be out of luck -- nobody will know where you are from IGCDroid alone. That's when having your satellite transmitter is golden.
Old September 25th 17, 09:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tom Kelley #711

On Monday, September 25, 2017 at 2:03:16 PM UTC-6, Steve Koerner wrote:
Tom: I think you may be misled in thinking that IGCDroid works everywhere.. Whenever the program can't link up with a cell tower, the program ques the data on your phone instead. When it makes the next cell connection it transmits that missing data. The result is that you do end up with a full trace as long as you do eventually land someplace that has coverage; although the data won't always be real time. If you land somewhere remote that doesn't have coverage, you'll be out of luck -- nobody will know where you are from IGCDroid alone. That's when having your satellite transmitter is golden.

Steve I said "everywhere I have flown". Thanks and yes I am very aware of how it works. Yet wherever I have flown, the folks on the ground who say they have been watching, the trace has never been interrupted, so far.
Of course reviewing a cell phone coverage map might be an idea before you go wondering off into ya ya land. Yes, I agree, as if you land out in an area without cell phone coverage, your not in a good spot to begin with. That's why I agree it's best to carry another device to communicate with.

I think what is being shared are experiences that show its a great tool to use and appears to work good. Yet not all may experience the same results where they may use it.

Best. Tom #711.

Old September 25th 17, 10:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
rudolph stutzmann

Yes, it runs and records data with the screen off. If I'm trying to conserve phone battery, and I'm spending time close to an airport for a while and don't need the flight computer/XCSOAR I'll turn the screen off for a while.
Off course to transmit your position and send the email notifications for take off/landing you need a data connection.