RIP Matt Wright (Balleka on YouTube)

Old December 5th 16, 11:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Stephan van den Berg

Default RIP Matt Wright (Balleka on YouTube)

Dreadful news coming from the UK today. Matt Wright (Balleka on YouTube) was tragically killed in a mid-air whilst flying his glider this weekend. I believe he collided with a power plane.

I'm sure we have all watched some of Matt's videos on YouTube over and over. He will be sorely missed.

RIP Balleka and the Flying Shark
Old December 5th 16, 12:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
AS

On Monday, December 5, 2016 at 5:54:30 AM UTC-5, Stephan van den Berg wrote:
Dreadful news coming from the UK today. Matt Wright (Balleka on YouTube) was tragically killed in a mid-air whilst flying his glider this weekend. I believe he collided with a power plane.

I'm sure we have all watched some of Matt's videos on YouTube over and over. He will be sorely missed.

RIP Balleka and the Flying Shark

Sad news, indeed. I always enjoyed his well made and edited videos.
Are any insights on what happened beyond the local news-blips out yet?
RIP, Matt!
Uli
AS
Old December 5th 16, 12:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathon May[_2_]

At 10:54 05 December 2016, Stephan van den Berg wrote:
Dreadful news coming from the UK today. Matt Wright (Balleka on YouTube)
was tragically killed in a mid-air whilst flying his glider this weekend.

believe he collided with a power plane.

I'm sure we have all watched some of Matt's videos on YouTube over and
over. He will be sorely missed.

RIP Balleka and the Flying Shark

sadly missed,condolences
jon

Old December 5th 16, 12:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Colin Rule

At 11:19 05 December 2016, Jonathon May wrote:
At 10:54 05 December 2016, Stephan van den Berg wrote:
Dreadful news coming from the UK today. Matt Wright (Balleka on YouTube)
was tragically killed in a mid-air whilst flying his glider this weekend

believe he collided with a power plane.

I'm sure we have all watched some of Matt's videos on YouTube over and
over. He will be sorely missed.

RIP Balleka and the Flying Shark

sadly missed,condolences
jon

I believe there may be an element of confusion here as I believe there were
2 Fatal Gliding accident on 4 Dec in UK one on/near Dartmoor which may be
Ballleka and another near Hus Bos which involved a mid air with a Cessna
150
RIP to both Aviators

Old December 5th 16, 01:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
krasw

Terrible loss, absolutely shocking. Balleka's Youtube videos were the best.
Old December 5th 16, 01:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Trubridge

At 12:26 05 December 2016, krasw wrote:
Terrible loss, absolutely shocking. Balleka's Youtube videos were the

best.
I am in shock, this is terrible news and a huge loss. I will miss Matt

and his awesome videos. RIP JT

Old December 5th 16, 01:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Trubridge

At 12:26 05 December 2016, krasw wrote:
Terrible loss, absolutely shocking. Balleka's Youtube videos were the

best.
I am in shock, and agree, this is a terrible news and a great loss. I will

miss Matt and his awesome videos. RIP Matt JT

Old December 5th 16, 01:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Stephan van den Berg

Hi, to correct my initial post, I've been informed that Matt was not involved in the mid-air. This from the BGA:

"Two experienced glider pilots tragically died on Sunday in two separate accidents; a collision involving a glider and an aeroplane, and separately a takeoff accident. Our thoughts are with friends and family. The AAIB are investigating."

RIP to both aviators. Sympathies to family and friends.
Old December 5th 16, 02:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
ND

On Monday, December 5, 2016 at 7:26:30 AM UTC-5, krasw wrote:
Terrible loss, absolutely shocking. Balleka's Youtube videos were the best.

they still are the best! and although we've lost him, he lives on through his videos, you can still see his happiness through the canopy while gliding. His videos still serve as an awesome example of why we do this,and why more people should.

i agree, a terrible loss.