A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

SkySight Soaring Weather Forecasting

Old March 21st 18, 10:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS[_5_]
external usenet poster

Default SkySight Soaring Weather Forecasting

Sorry, should have specified US West was working. East has a blank for Saturday. May be just missing data in the in the current forecast 2:49pm EDT? Try US East again in a few hours.
Jim
Old March 22nd 18, 12:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS[_5_]
external usenet poster

Sat 24 March is now working in US East with the 6:43pm forecast.
Jim
Old March 22nd 18, 01:50 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

On Friday, 16 February 2018 03:18:30 UTC+13, krasw wrote:
torstai 15. helmikuuta 2018 14.01.12 UTC+2 kirjoitti:

We are actually experimenting with ECMWF as an initialisation source. If it provides measurable improvement we will utilise it for regions where it does so.

Wow, I thought ECMWF boundaries would cost arm and leg to use commercially. I bet it provides measurable improvement, it is the best model currently available and on different level than GFS. Now if someone would run ensemble of RASP using ECMWF ENS members as boundaries, we would get usable thermal forecasts for next week instead of 2 days...

We run the WRF model with EC data. It is noticeably better - there are many more levels and the horizontal resolution we get is at 0.1 degrees vs the 0.25 for the GFS/GDAS. In addition, the EC analyses and forecasts are generally a lot better.
Old March 22nd 18, 01:50 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

On Thursday, 22 March 2018 13:50:09 UTC+13, wrote:

We are actually experimenting with ECMWF as an initialisation source. If it provides measurable improvement we will utilise it for regions where it does so.

Wow, I thought ECMWF boundaries would cost arm and leg to use commercially. I bet it provides measurable improvement, it is the best model currently available and on different level than GFS. Now if someone would run ensemble of RASP using ECMWF ENS members as boundaries, we would get usable thermal forecasts for next week instead of 2 days...

We run the WRF model with EC data. It is noticeably better - there are many more levels and the horizontal resolution we get is at 0.1 degrees vs the 0.25 for the GFS/GDAS. In addition, the EC analyses and forecasts are generally a lot better.

PS. It isn't cheap.
Old March 22nd 18, 11:49 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

On Thursday, March 22, 2018 at 10:21:01 AM UTC+9:30, wrote:
On Thursday, 22 March 2018 13:50:09 UTC+13, wrote:

PS. It isn't cheap.

Hi,
I didn't see this thread alive again earlier, but as Paul/Jim deduced the forecast completed on the next run.
As to ECMWF, we are still testing. It's not so clear cut that it performs better for short term soaring forecasts due to their output intervals and timing. Contact me offlist if you want to know more.
Cheers,
Matthew