Flat external FLARM antenna?

Old May 10th 18, 03:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Matt Herron Jr.

Default Flat external FLARM antenna?

Flarm antennas are a real pain for ships with carbon hulls. Coverage is always poor, especially below. Is there a way to make a perfectly flat and thin antenna that could be taped to the outside of the hull and fed through a small (1/8"?) hole? I am thinking 2 thin wire strands, or foil strips, fed through from the inside, then taped in place with wing tape. I would put one on either side of the nose for good coverage. The wires could even be longer (some wavelength ratio) for better gain. The tiny hole could easily be filled later if the install was reversed.

Any RF engineers out there care to take a shot at this?
Old May 10th 18, 03:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Thursday, May 10, 2018 at 10:07:15 AM UTC-4, Matt Herron Jr. wrote:
Flarm antennas are a real pain for ships with carbon hulls. Coverage is always poor, especially below. Is there a way to make a perfectly flat and thin antenna that could be taped to the outside of the hull and fed through a small (1/8"?) hole? I am thinking 2 thin wire strands, or foil strips, fed through from the inside, then taped in place with wing tape. I would put one on either side of the nose for good coverage. The wires could even be longer (some wavelength ratio) for better gain. The tiny hole could easily be filled later if the install was reversed.

Any RF engineers out there care to take a shot at this?

The power radiation pattern would not be favorable.
UH

Old May 10th 18, 04:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Daly[_2_]

The power radiation pattern would not be favorable.
UH

Why is that?

Take a look at http://b1.ifrm.com/2510/101/0/p10229...ionPattern.gif ..

Your wires, facing fore/aft, would radiate as a dipole. Good to the sides, no coverage in front or behind - arguably the most important place to have coverage.

You can see with a vertical antenna, you have good all-quadrant horizontal coverage, but are unprotected from a vertical attack (you still have coverage above and below for close transmitters via side lobes). It has good coverage for +/- 20 degrees from the horizon - which is where the vast majority of the threat exists.
Old May 10th 18, 04:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
K m

On Thursday, May 10, 2018 at 7:07:15 AM UTC-7, Matt Herron Jr. wrote:
Flarm antennas are a real pain for ships with carbon hulls. Coverage is always poor, especially below. Is there a way to make a perfectly flat and thin antenna that could be taped to the outside of the hull and fed through a small (1/8"?) hole? I am thinking 2 thin wire strands, or foil strips, fed through from the inside, then taped in place with wing tape. I would put one on either side of the nose for good coverage. The wires could even be longer (some wavelength ratio) for better gain. The tiny hole could easily be filled later if the install was reversed.

Any RF engineers out there care to take a shot at this?

Matt,
Not an RF Engineer but I am a self appointed internet expert and I think you and I have the same type of ship. Richard at Craggy sold me a whip (I have also heard this referred to as a duck) antenna to mount on the glare shield. Not sure how it would do directly beneath me (Would probably be in a turn if that were the case) but I get max range for transmission and reception. PM if you need a pic or call Richard.
Kirk
Old May 10th 18, 04:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

I have a PowerFlarm portable mounted on top of the glare shield of my
Stemme.Â* Also on the glare shield, in vertical orientation, are the
Flarm A & B antennae and the ADS-B antenna.Â* The Stemme is of all carbon
construction (except for a few parts).Â* One day I was flying a couple
thousand feet directly above another local pilot in a Discus 2, also of
carbon construction.Â* Though I could see him visually, neither of us
could see the other on Flarm as my antennae were above the carbon hull
of my ship and his ship was directly below.Â* I rolled up into a steep
bank and we each "saw" the other on the PF displays.

I good way to have all around coverage would be to place an external
antenna on the belly of the aircraft, but my PF unit only transmits on
the "A" antenna.Â* The "B" antenna is receive only.Â* I could get better
coverage below if I moved the antennae to the canopy frame but still
nothing directly below that was close enough to be a threat (and I'd
have a mess of cables to contend with).

--
Dan, 5J
Old May 10th 18, 05:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Matt Herron Jr.

On Thursday, May 10, 2018 at 8:17:35 AM UTC-7, Dan Daly wrote:
The power radiation pattern would not be favorable.
UH

Why is that?

Take a look at http://b1.ifrm.com/2510/101/0/p10229...ionPattern.gif .

Your wires, facing fore/aft, would radiate as a dipole. Good to the sides, no coverage in front or behind - arguably the most important place to have coverage.

You can see with a vertical antenna, you have good all-quadrant horizontal coverage, but are unprotected from a vertical attack (you still have coverage above and below for close transmitters via side lobes). It has good coverage for +/- 20 degrees from the horizon - which is where the vast majority of the threat exists.

Dan D., my intent was to orient the wires vertically on the outside of the ship. However, Dan M has reminded me that only one antenna transmits. Therefor I would only be seen from one side of the ship. That doesn't work.

Perhaps a vertical dipole above the glare shield for transmit, and a transversely mounted "tape" antenna on the belly. The transverse mount (along the axis of the wings), even though it is mostly horizontal would give good reception forward, below, and to the rear. the dipole would x-mit and receive forward, and to the sides, but not below or behind that well.

Matt
Old May 10th 18, 05:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Daly[_2_]

On Thursday, May 10, 2018 at 12:21:35 PM UTC-4, Matt Herron Jr. wrote:
[...]

Matt, ok, I didn't understand the planned orientation. The belly FLARM B would receive, so in a high/low situation, at least one of you would get an alarm.
Old May 10th 18, 05:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

On Thursday, May 10, 2018 at 8:08:48 AM UTC-7, Matt Herron Jr. wrote:
[...]

Laws of physics/Maxwells' equations, antenna design theory, radiation/gain patterns of patch antennas,.... there are lots of articles online about patch antenna design and performance if you want to drill there.

You can't just tape a wire near a conductive surface and think you have built an antenna. That is likely to create a non-antenna. You need a proper designed patch antenna..

Patch antennas attached to glider sides are going to have very limited forward/rear visibility (the directions that matter the most) and I expect you would need more than those two side antennas to provide coverage around the aircraft, and that is all non trivial to combine. We've got two FLARM receivers in PowerFLARM to do that, and in the USA only one of those also transmits, and only one ADS-B receiver, not close enough to what you would need for 360 coverage.

Patch antennas work great for entirely different things like looking in one basic direction, like "up" for GPS and Globalstar and Iridium, all with circular polarization, which importantly makes them horizontal rotation orientation independent (although patch antennas don't have to be circular polarized).

It's possible to get standard FLARM antennas to work in your ASW27 so just go that route.

Darryl (background in microwave electronics research).
Old May 10th 18, 05:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Thursday, May 10, 2018 at 11:08:48 AM UTC-4, Matt Herron Jr. wrote:
[...]

Because the antenna would be too close, and parallel, to the conductive fuselage. A "whip" that is perpendicular to the fuselage (and 1/4 wavelength long - that's about 6 inches) would be much better, but of course add more drag, and be vulnerable to being damaged by tall grass etc. An antenna in an enclosed, streamlined bubble of a compromise depth and made of a non-conductive material (e.g., fiberglass) is probably the best solution.

Q: Position of external Flarm RF antenna on tow plane Aviat Husky A1 RuudH Soaring 5 December 20th 12 05:58 PM
homemade external/internal antenna for handheld. gorgon Home Built 11 March 20th 08 10:38 PM
How to hook handheld up to external antenna? Roy Smith Owning 6 January 26th 04 05:05 PM
External GPS Antenna Jim Weir Owning 0 November 29th 03 05:12 AM
External GPS Antenna Jim Weir Aviation Marketplace 0 November 29th 03 05:10 AM