Here we go again

Old June 5th 18, 10:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS[_5_]

Default Here we go again

They must have known about RAS in the seventies.
Jim

Is this the right room for an argument?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?reload=9&v=wxrbOVeRonQ
Old June 6th 18, 04:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jfitch

On Tuesday, June 5, 2018 at 2:31:36 PM UTC-7, JS wrote:
They must have known about RAS in the seventies.
Jim

Is this the right room for an argument?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?reload=9&v=wxrbOVeRonQ

Personally, I think we should outlaw GPS and Flarm as they will ruin the sport.
Old June 6th 18, 12:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tom[_21_]

Now that is an argument and not merely a contradiction. Well played.

Old June 6th 18, 05:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

If you think ridiculous arguments about gliders and soaring started with RAS go back and read Soaring magazine through the 60's and 70's. The letters section had some pretty amazing stuff. The glider/motorglider arguments, the argument that (by the late 60's) that badges had been devalued by the performance increase of the gliders and the availability of sites with wave systems so that the distance and altitude requirements for the badges needed to be increased and the age old turning downwind holy wars are just the start. My favorite was the back and forth in the letters section about whether the elevator and rudder swap functions in a turn of 45 degree or more bank.. The crowning glory there was the guy who claimed he routinely outclimbed all other gliders while flying the club 2-22 by thermalling in an 80 degree bank using the rudder as an elevator and with the fuselage producing the lift.
Old June 6th 18, 11:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Is this the right room for an argument?

No. This is abuse. You want rec.argument.soaring down the hall.
funny stuff, I could watch that again.
Old June 11th 18, 01:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
son_of_flubber

I'd love to fly me one of those sparkly new FES motorgliders. No shame.
Old June 12th 18, 05:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

My sister used to fly a “motorglider” but we were able to get her a job away from all that in a brothel.
Old June 17th 18, 01:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
glidergeek

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PktyJR_U2J0
Old June 17th 18, 12:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_6_]

On Sat, 16 Jun 2018 17:19:15 -0700, Glidergeek wrote:

On Tuesday, June 5, 2018 at 2:31:36 PM UTC-7, JS wrote:
They must have known about RAS in the seventies. Jim

Is this the right room for an argument?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?reload=9&v=wxrbOVeRonQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PktyJR_U2J0

Excellent! I wonder if this was an inspiration for John Finnemore's
"Cabin Pressure", a radio comedy series about a tiny airline with just
one charter airliner?

--
Martin | martin at
Gregorie | gregorie dot org