Free Flight Planning Software

Old September 18th 04, 10:44 PM
Dean Wilkinson

Default Free Flight Planning Software

For immediate release

Razor's Edge Software releases AirPlan Lite, a free-ware version of
the popular AirPlan flight planning software package.

Boise , ID - September 18, 2004 - Razor's Edge Software, producer of
AirPlan flight planning software, announced the release of a new
product; AirPlan Lite.

Razor's Edge Software is now offering AirPlan Lite as a freeware
flight planning software utility for the Windows operating system.
AirPlan Lite is a reduced feature set version of the popular AirPlan
flight planning software utility. It provides the core flight
planning features of the commercial version of AirPlan without many of
the more advanced features such as the GPS interface, weather radar
overlay, moving map mode, and digital sectional charts.

AirPlan Lite is currently available for download from Razor's Edge
Software at http://www.razorsedgesoft.com/airplanlite.zip AirPlan
Lite is being offered as-is with no plans for future feature
enhancements or updates. The database files provided with the
software are current as of June 2004. User's who wish to utilize
current data can update the AirPlan Lite database for $5.00 U.S at any
time by following the link found under the Help menu selection.

"We felt that we needed to respond to the trend toward free basic
flight planning services that are currently being offered via AOPA,
EAA, and DUATS. AirPlan Lite offers pilots a good flight planning
utility that they can use whether or not they have internet access
with no up-front expense. It is hoped that more pilots will discover
the value of AirPlan this way. By offering inexpensive database
updates for AirPlan Lite, there is no reason for pilots to plan with
outdated information," said Dean Wilkinson, President of Razor's Edge
Software. "At the same time that we are releasing AirPlan Lite, we
are continuing to improve the commercial version of AirPlan to make it
an increasingly better value. Version 8.0 is planned for release this
fall. Current user's of AirPlan should be impressed with the
improvements. User's of AirPlan Lite will find that the user
interface of AirPlan is quite familiar to them should they choose to
step up to the commercial version."

For more information, please visit www.razorsedgesoft.com.
Old September 19th 04, 12:06 AM
john smith

Dean, I cannot find the system requirements on your website.

Old September 19th 04, 05:28 AM
Marco Leon

From the install:

Recommended minimum system requirements:

Pentium II 200Mhz with 32 Megabytes of RAM

Windows 95, 98, NT 4.0, ME, Win2000, XP

VGA (640X480) or higher resolution

Color setting of High Color (16bit) or True Color (24 bit)
recommended, 256 colors will work but the terrain colors
may be incorrect. 16 Color mode is strongly discouraged.

50 Megabytes of free hard drive space for Windows swapfile use.
This is above and beyond the 16 Megabytes of file space
for Airplan.

AirplanLite will perform better on systems with faster
processors and more memory than the above minimum system.

Old September 19th 04, 05:31 AM
A Lieberman

On 18 Sep 2004 14:44:11 -0700, Dean Wilkinson wrote:

AirPlan Lite is currently available for download from Razor's Edge
Software at http://www.razorsedgesoft.com/airplanlite.zip AirPlan
Lite is being offered as-is with no plans for future feature
enhancements or updates. The database files provided with the
software are current as of June 2004. User's who wish to utilize
current data can update the AirPlan Lite database for $5.00 U.S at any
time by following the link found under the Help menu selection.

"We felt that we needed to respond to the trend toward free basic
flight planning services that are currently being offered via AOPA,
EAA, and DUATS.

Ummm, maybe I am missing something???

Can you define free????

I doubt it is free when you are charging for database updates. There would
be no way I would use this software WITH OUTDATED databases.

Duats and AOPA flight planner don't charge for "updates" That to me
qualifies as free.

Doesn't sound like to me you are responding to the trend for free basic
flight planning services if you charge for database updates.

Allen

Allen
Old September 19th 04, 06:10 PM
Dean Wilkinson

Allen,

The DUATS planner is subsidized by the government, I am not.

AOPA and EAA planners are subsidized by the membership, I am not.

Not charging a penny to download, install, and use the software for as
long as you want, that is free.

Charging a small fee for the database update service? Yes, that is
fair and the only way to guarantee that I am around to provide them...
You don't have to update if you don't want to. You don't have to use
the software if you don't want to.

Best Regards,

Dean Wilkinson
Razor's Edge Software

Old September 19th 04, 07:00 PM
A Lieberman

On 19 Sep 2004 10:10:46 -0700, Dean Wilkinson wrote:

Dean,

The DUATS planner is subsidized by the government, I am not.

AOPA and EAA planners are subsidized by the membership, I am not.

No problem with what you say here.

Not charging a penny to download, install, and use the software for as
long as you want, that is free.

Still no problem EXCEPT, what good is outdated software?

Charging a small fee for the database update service? Yes, that is
fair and the only way to guarantee that I am around to provide them...
You don't have to update if you don't want to.

Charging a fee no longer makes it free.

Yes it is fair to charge for updates, but to advertise it's free is very
misleading and unscrupulous

I'd suspect you wouldn't fly with outdated software yourself and to
encourage your users to use your software with outdated databases is a
disservice to your company.

I am copying from your original post below for further emphasis:

"We felt that we needed to respond to the trend toward free basic
flight planning services that are currently being offered via AOPA,
EAA, and DUATS.

You are not responding to the trend toward free basic flight planning
software when you are charging for updates.

The difference again, being an AOPA member, the software and updates are a
benefit of a member. My membership fee did not go up as a result of the
flight planner.

What you are doing is charging for the updates, which invalidates the
"free" part of what you said above.

Yes, I have choices of what flight planning software I will use.

Just as an FYI, I do use AOPA flight planner at home, and when I am away, I
use DUATS or pick up the ole telephone and call FSS. I have tried the
CIRRUS program (now a new program, forget the name), but that required a
lot more computer horsepower then my 500 mhz pentium. I am the first in
line to try different things to ease the burden of flight planning, but one
thing I won't do is knowingly use outdated software for something as
critical as flight planning.

Using outdated flight planning software would be just as bad as flying with
outdated charts. It would make for a bad day to find out while in the
crag, there was a tower built after your outdated chart was printed.

Since DUATS is from what I know the only official internet briefing source
(AOPA interfaces with DUATS), I make the assumption your software does
not??? I have not downloaded it, due to the outdated database.

Bottom line, what you are offering is not free, and should not be
advertised as such.

Allen
Old September 20th 04, 01:08 AM
Mike O'Malley

OK, I guess I'll be the first one to say "thanks"!

From what I've seen so far, just playing with it, the terrain data puts it
far above AOPA's planner, and the ability to use it without needing an
internet connection is wonderful for those of us that might take our laptops
on the road.

I don't know if I'll ever use it for more than a quick overview flight
planning; as most long flights I go IFR anyway, but thank-you for making
this resource available.

Old September 20th 04, 04:14 AM
John T

Dean Wilkinson wrote:

The DUATS planner is subsidized by the government, I am not.

AOPA and EAA planners are subsidized by the membership, I am not.

Not charging a penny to download, install, and use the software for as
long as you want, that is free.

All valid points.

Charging a small fee for the database update service? Yes, that is
fair and the only way to guarantee that I am around to provide them...

....and also makes the "free" product no longer free. The value of your
light edition is greatly diminished with outdated databases and your
charging a fee to update them makes your claim of "free" rather
disingenuous.

Nobody's begrudging your covering expenses or even making a profit. The
problem arises when you make the claim of "free" then tell us that we have
to pay to get current data. That's like the TV ads that claim the product
is "FREE!!" - all we have to pay is a "nominal shipping & handling fee".

--
John T
http://tknowlogy.com/TknoFlyer

Old September 20th 04, 04:40 AM
A Lieberman

On Sun, 19 Sep 2004 23:14:49 -0400, John T wrote:

Nobody's begrudging your covering expenses or even making a profit. The
problem arises when you make the claim of "free" then tell us that we have
to pay to get current data. That's like the TV ads that claim the product
is "FREE!!" - all we have to pay is a "nominal shipping & handling fee".

Thanks John for seeing it my way.

Had Dean said trialware, shareware or "otherware", I wouldn't have even
responded to his post.

What got in my crawl was the word free, followed by a cost of $5.00. Cost
and free didn't compute.

I bring up his quote again from the original post.

"We felt that we needed to respond to the trend toward free basic
flight planning services that are currently being offered via AOPA,
EAA, and DUATS.

Using Dean's words, "respond to the trend toward free basic flight planning
services" sure contradicts charging for his flight planning services.

In one sentence he says AOPA has free basic flight planning software, yet
when I called him out on the carpet, all of a suddenly, the flight planner
is "subsidized". Yes, he is correct, it is subsidized by taxes and
membership fees, but that is not said in the meat of his post. He said
"free basic flight planning services" (see above quote).

I have absolutely no beef about Dean wanting to make a profit, that is the
nature of his business, but soliciting business through newsgroups surely
is not good newsgroup netiquette. (UCE).

Signature or tag line should be sufficient with him making positive
contributions would be the way to go. Instead he, sorry to say spammed all
the aviation newsgroups that I had subscribed to.

Allen
Old September 20th 04, 04:41 AM
Peter R.

John T wrote:

Nobody's begrudging your covering expenses or even making a profit. The
problem arises when you make the claim of "free" then tell us that we have
to pay to get current data. That's like the TV ads that claim the product
is "FREE!!" - all we have to pay is a "nominal shipping & handling fee".

The Gillette business model: Give away the handle and charge a premium
for the razor blades. Of course, they don't give away the handle any
more...

--
Peter