Why does one need to LEAN OUT a CARB when climbing?

Old January 23rd 09, 03:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,alt.usenet.kooks,alt.disasters.aviation,rec.arts.poems,alt.alien.vampire.flonk.flonk.flonk
John \C\

Default Why does one need to LEAN OUT a CARB when climbing?

"ah" wrote in message
anews.com...
Bertie the Bunyip wrote:
ah wrote in news:4977e445$0$35423
:

Bertie the Bunyip wrote:
"Maxwell" #$$9#@%%%.^^^ wrote in :

"Bertie the Bunyip" wrote in message
Tman wrote in news:-
:

wrote:
On Jan 19, 7:05 pm, "Todd W. Deckard"

wrote: It diverts low pressure air from the back of the

venturi
into the
fuel float bowl.
Never taken a close look at an airplane carb, but I understand

that
the standard config (not this stromberg, but rather something

like
in a basic 172N) has a fuel-bowl vent upstream of the venturi,
making the air pressure in the fuel bowl pretty much equal to

the
air intake pressure.... Kind of like a standard auto carb from

few
years ago when they still had them. Let me know if that's not
right.

They're basically a float bowl and a tube. not a lot to

complicate
them, really. Probably the simplest carbs in operation today.

Bertie

You're an idiot.

Nope.

But please don't let that stop you maxie.

What's new on teh gasket-front, Cap'N?

Not much. Need a gearbox though..

Can you do synchromesh?
--
ah

Can you quit Slurping "Some Gay Guy", a.k.a. Art Deco ??
--
HJ

Old January 23rd 09, 04:48 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,alt.usenet.kooks,alt.disasters.aviation,rec.arts.poems,alt.alien.vampire.flonk.flonk.flonk
Bertie the Bunyip[_28_]

ah wrote in news:49791d81$0$57669
:

Tman wrote in news:-
:

wrote:
On Jan 19, 7:05 pm, "Todd W. Deckard"
wrote: It diverts low pressure air from the back of the venturi
into the
fuel float bowl.
Never taken a close look at an airplane carb, but I understand

that
the standard config (not this stromberg, but rather something

like
in a basic 172N) has a fuel-bowl vent upstream of the venturi,
making the air pressure in the fuel bowl pretty much equal to

the
air intake pressure.... Kind of like a standard auto carb from a

few
years ago when they still had them. Let me know if that's not
right.

They're basically a float bowl and a tube. not a lot to

complicate
them, really. Probably the simplest carbs in operation today.

Bertie

You're an idiot.

Nope.

But please don't let that stop you maxie.

What's new on teh gasket-front, Cap'N?

Not much. Need a gearbox though..

Can you do synchromesh?

They're OK, just need to do the spigot bearings.

Bertie
Old January 25th 09, 10:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Stealth Pilot[_2_]

On Wed, 21 Jan 2009 19:25:39 -0500, Tman

In
the carb, one-half the density should then cut the pressure
differential and therefore fuel flow by one quarter, which will give
us a mixture twice a rich as when we took off.

At the risk of dragging on the subject ... Wouldn't that actually lean
it out, requiring one to compensate by richening the mixture at higher
altitudes? One-half the density i.e. one half the mass airflow at
constant velocity, fuel flow by quarter... sounds like that mixture is
leaner!

totally correct. you richen the air in the mixture by reducing the
fuel.
Old January 28th 09, 04:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Maxwell[_2_]

"Bertie the Bunyip" wrote in message
ah wrote in news:497d9da3$0$57661

He actually had sum?

Well, presumably enough to navigate his way out of the womb.
OTH being an ass baby would explain a lot..

Bertie

Heckle and Jeckle, identical twin retards.

Old January 29th 09, 02:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On Jan 19, 1:23*pm, Tman wrote:
Somebody posed that seemingly simple question to me, but kept coming
back to the point that they stumped me.... And I am stumped. *What do
you see wrong with the logic in this dialog?

Q: Why do I need to lean out my carb when I climb?

A: *Ahem, seems you forgot your PPL ground school. *The air is less
dense. *Fewer air molecules per unit volume. *Therefore, you need less
gas, so you lean it out!
lots of really interesting stoichimetric ratio stuffage snipp-ed)....

Anyone see what is amiss?

Yes, the obvious answer to any Texas Aggie: "because it's easier than
leaning out the window".

Old February 2nd 09, 05:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,alt.usenet.kooks
Bertie the Bunyip[_28_]

"Maxwell" #$$9#@%%%.^^^ wrote in :

"Bertie the Bunyip" wrote in message
ah wrote in news:497d9da3$0$57661

He actually had sum?

Well, presumably enough to navigate his way out of the womb.
OTH being an ass baby would explain a lot..

Bertie

Heckle and Jeckle, identical twin retards.

Oh good one maxie.

I love heckle and jeckle, BTw Old chum!

Bertie
Old November 18th 10, 01:49 AM
mbrosch mbrosch is offline
Junior Member

Q: Why do I need to lean out my carb when I climb?

Stealth Pilot is rude but he is also correct.
I think your confusing volume with density. As the aircraft climbs into less dense air the amount of oxygen for a given volume decreases. That IO 360 engine (ie) is still breathing in 360 cubic inches of air every 2 revolutions, but that air is less dense and carries less Ox at altitude than it does down low. A rule of thumb is that 50% of the Ox in the atmosphere is below 18k'.

Learning to lean WingFlaps Piloting 2 March 12th 08 10:47 AM
Have you ever experienced carb ice with an injector carb? flybynightkarmarepair Home Built 1 January 31st 05 01:48 AM
Carb temp guage vs. Iceman carb ice detector Mike Rapoport Piloting 1 September 28th 04 03:13 AM
Whether to Lean or Enrich jls Owning 12 March 3rd 04 07:56 AM
Leaning / step climbing? aaronw Piloting 30 November 17th 03 05:44 PM