Skydiving and FAA regs

Old May 21st 09, 07:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ricky

Default Skydiving and FAA regs

I just got through watching several skydiving videos trying to
motivate myself to plunk down the money to continue my AFF jumps.

As a pilot/mechanic, I have continually been alarmed at the seeming
disregard for federal regulations in the sport, or are they?

Do jump planes operate under a waiver that permits such things as
aerobatic maneuvers, cloud clearance violations, altitude violations,
oxygen violations, and others?

How about jumpers? Do they get a waiver to bust through clouds and
otherwise bust FAA regs as they see fit?

Is skydiving just something where the regs are "swept under the rug"
and not really paid too much attention to and that's just an "accepted
part of the sport?"

I am a somewhat law-abiding and FAA reg-concious person (I'm an a/c
mechanic, too) so perhaps I am being overly-alarmed at the violations
I have witnessed. It's amazing the amount of busts that are freely
videoed, as well.

Any input ya'll may have on this would be appreciated.

Ricky
Old May 22nd 09, 02:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Eric

Well regarding the jumpers, when hanging under the canopy, I don't see how "busting through clouds"
or "busting FAA" regs would be an issue. They are not operating an aircraft as defined by the FAA
so why would FAA rules apply?

The jump planes and their pilots of course are a different matter...

Eric Law

Old May 22nd 09, 02:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Robert Moore

"Eric"wrote
Well regarding the jumpers, when hanging under the canopy, I don't see
how "busting through clouds" or "busting FAA" regs would be an issue.
They are not operating an aircraft as defined by the FAA so why would
FAA rules apply?

Part 105: PARACHUTE OPERATIONS

Bob Moore
Old May 22nd 09, 04:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ricky

On May 22, 6:18 am, "Eric" wrote:

Well regarding the jumpers, when hanging under the canopy, I don't see how "busting through clouds"
or "busting FAA" regs would be an issue. They are not operating an aircraft as defined by the FAA
so why would FAA rules apply?

Eric, jumpers are under MANY FAA regs.
In fact, just about anything that leaves terra firma is under some
kind of grip by the FAA (model rockets, balloons, kites, etc...)
Part 105 for jumpers, either falling OR under canopy, & part 91 for
the planes. There's also a number of advisory circulars regarding
skydiving.
If you're a jumper & not aware of that it would be supportive of my
suspicion that regs are held in low regard in many cases when it comes
to skydiving.

The below link, in addition to providing helpful FAR links, says,
"skydiving regulates itself" through the USPA, but does that give
licence to hold FARs at arm's length?

See; http://www.aero.com/publications/par...egulations.htm

Ricky

Old May 22nd 09, 05:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Robert M. Gary

What type of altitude violation could a jumper violate? They are
always transitioning through altitude. I have seen that cloud
clearance does seem to get ignoried and probably shouldn't. We lost a
Piper near here about 5 years ago when a sky diver fell through the
plane, killing all on board.

-Robert

Old May 22nd 09, 11:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
BT

If you are seeing those things where you are jumping and are concerned.
Perhaps you have a right to be concerned.

Aircraft operations have to adhere to Part 91 for cloud clearances,
aerobatic maneuvers, altitude restrictions, Oxygen etc. Once everyone is
out, the pilot has a parachute, he can do what ever within the POH
limitations.

Define "altitude violations"

Parachute operations are under Part 105. Part 105.17 says no jumping in or
through clouds. Special permission required for all "controlled" airspace
such as Class B, C, and D.

I would not want to be the pilot or parachutists that knowingly "busts a
reg" and then have it displayed on YouTube.

BT

Old May 23rd 09, 02:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
tp

On May 22, 12:38*pm, "Robert M. Gary" wrote:
What type of altitude violation could a jumper violate? They are
always transitioning through altitude. I have seen that cloud
clearance does seem to get ignoried and probably shouldn't. We lost a
Piper near here about 5 years ago when a sky diver fell through the
plane, killing all on board.

-Robert

This one happened in 1993......no clouds involved.

http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/brief2.asp?...FA015& akey=1

Has there been a similar accident since then?

TonyP
Old May 23rd 09, 06:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
John S[_2_]

Eric wrote:
Well regarding the jumpers, when hanging under the canopy, I don't see how "busting through clouds"
or "busting FAA" regs would be an issue. They are not operating an aircraft as defined by the FAA
so why would FAA rules apply?

The jump planes and their pilots of course are a different matter...

Eric,

The FAA is charged with regulating civil aviation, not just "aircraft."
FAA regulations apply to numerous aspects of aviation, including
people falling through US airpace. For example, a sky diver cannot
legally cross through IMC, or through KDCA's airspace.

FAR Part 105 specifically concerns civil Parachute Operations and FAR
Part 65 (subpart F) concerns Parachute riggers. Also, there are
numerous advisory circulars concerning parachute activity.
Old May 25th 09, 02:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/brief2.asp?...3&ntsbno=BFO94....

Has there been a similar accident since then?

TonyP

There have been but I can't recall specifics.

FWIW, I've been under canopy at drop zones with regular operating
hours, NOTAMs filed, radio comms to ATC (Houston) and been amazed to
see GA pilots blithely flying through a formation of jumpers under
canopy. I was close enough to see the faces in the front seats.

It works both ways...pilots should also be aware of jump operations
and when they hear 'jumpers in the air' should really be paying
attention.
Old May 25th 09, 02:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On May 21, 1:21*pm, Ricky wrote:
[...]

Define please "aerobatic maneuvers, cloud clearance violations,
altitude violations,
oxygen violations"?

Regs state that oxygen shall be used above 15,500', no bail out bottle
req'd for 22K and below....there is no lower limit except for ground
impact. I've never seen an aerobatic maneuver either in or outside of
a jump aircraft so that's a new one (most jumpers would happily kill
the pilot afterwards though). Cloud clearance issues are usually
unintentional but I've seen that one stretched.

One fine May morning in SE texas we had a clear blue sky on exit but
at some point during the 60 second free fall went from clear to socked
in ground fog. That was a very hairy, scary canopy ride since we
could not see anything on the ground, had no idea where the DZ
was...and of course couldn't see the houses, trees or power lines.