Skydiving and FAA regs

Old May 25th 09, 04:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ricky

Default Skydiving and FAA regs

On May 24, 6:47*pm, wrote:

Define please "aerobatic maneuvers,

Aerobatic flight—

No person may operate an aircraft in aerobatic flight

Over any congested area of a city, town, or settlement;
Over an open air assembly of persons;
Within the lateral boundaries of the surface areas of Class B, Class
C, Class D, or Class E airspace designated for an airport;
Within 4 nautical miles of the center line of any Federal airway;
Below an altitude of 1,500 feet above the surface; or
When flight visibility is less than 3 statute miles.
For the purposes of this section, aerobatic flight means an
intentional maneuver involving an abrupt change in an aircraft’s
attitude, an abnormal attitude, or abnormal acceleration, not
necessary for normal flight.

Ricky

Old May 25th 09, 01:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On May 24, 10:13*pm, Ricky wrote:
On May 24, 6:47*pm, wrote:

Define please "aerobatic maneuvers,

Aerobatic flight—

No person may operate an aircraft in aerobatic flight

Over any congested area of a city, town, or settlement;
Over an open air assembly of persons;
Within the lateral boundaries of the surface areas of Class B, Class
C, Class D, or Class E airspace designated for an airport;
Within 4 nautical miles of the center line of any Federal airway;
Below an altitude of 1,500 feet above the surface; or
When flight visibility is less than 3 statute miles.
For the purposes of this section, aerobatic flight means an
intentional maneuver involving an abrupt change in an aircraft’s
attitude, an abnormal attitude, or abnormal acceleration, not
necessary for normal flight.

USPA 'best practice' requires a minimum exit altitude of 2K'.

I've never seen or heard of anyone performing what is typically
thought of as aerobatic maneuver, i.e., exiting a pitts special, where
proper authorization had not been obtained.

I think you're reaching on the aerobatic. Do you have a specific
incident?
Old May 26th 09, 03:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Andrew Gideon

On Mon, 25 May 2009 05:24:45 -0700, the.sargon wrote:

I think you're reaching on the aerobatic. Do you have a specific
incident?

What about "climbing" as an altitude violation for a jumper?

- Andrew
Old May 26th 09, 03:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
bod43

On 26 May, 03:01, Andrew Gideon wrote:
On Mon, 25 May 2009 05:24:45 -0700, the.sargon wrote:
I think you're reaching on the aerobatic. *Do you have a specific
incident?

What about "climbing" as an altitude violation for a jumper?

Here is a near miss - in UK I believe.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHA0zvFfH9U
Old May 26th 09, 12:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On May 25, 9:01*pm, Andrew Gideon wrote:
On Mon, 25 May 2009 05:24:45 -0700, the.sargon wrote:
I think you're reaching on the aerobatic. *Do you have a specific
incident?

What about "climbing" as an altitude violation for a jumper?

* * * * - Andrew

What the heck is climbing?

If you mean BASE jumping then that's not skydiving out of an aircraft
which was the OPs original subject.
Old May 26th 09, 02:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
good grief

What about "climbing" as an altitude violation for a jumper?

- Andrew

What the heck is climbing?

If you mean BASE jumping then that's not skydiving out of an aircraft
which was the OPs original subject.

Best I can tell he was humorously alluding to the fact that skydivers cannot
at the very least a violation of the laws of physics.) ;-)
Of course I could be wrong......

tp

Old May 26th 09, 03:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
vaughn

"good grief" wrote in message
"climbing" would be some sort of altitude violation (or at the very least a
violation of the laws of physics.) ;-)
Of course I could be wrong......

You are wrong (well, sort of). My gliding instructor was also an avid
skydiver. He took great delight in guiding his jump plane upwind of the
best thermals before he jumped so he could fly into them and circle within
them . He was able to greatly prolong his parachute "flights" and on
occasion, actually climb back up to cloudbase; just like he taught me to do
in the sailplane.

Vaughn

Old May 26th 09, 03:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mike Ash

In article
,
"vaughn" wrote:

"good grief" wrote in message
"climbing" would be some sort of altitude violation (or at the very least a
violation of the laws of physics.) ;-)
Of course I could be wrong......

You are wrong (well, sort of). My gliding instructor was also an avid
skydiver. He took great delight in guiding his jump plane upwind of the
best thermals before he jumped so he could fly into them and circle within
them . He was able to greatly prolong his parachute "flights" and on
occasion, actually climb back up to cloudbase; just like he taught me to do
in the sailplane.

And there is of course an entire sport dedicated to this called
paragliding. I believe their parachutes are somewhat different, but that
just means it's harder to thermal a skydiving parachute, not impossible.

Climbing *before* you open the chute, on the other hand, is going to
require some pretty "interesting" conditions....

--
Mike Ash
Radio Free Earth
Old May 26th 09, 05:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
good grief

"climbing" would be some sort of altitude violation (or at the very least
a violation of the laws of physics.) ;-)
Of course I could be wrong......

You are wrong (well, sort of). My gliding instructor was also an avid
skydiver. He took great delight in guiding his jump plane upwind of the
best thermals before he jumped so he could fly into them and circle within
them . He was able to greatly prolong his parachute "flights" and on
occasion, actually climb back up to cloudbase; just like he taught me to
do in the sailplane.

Vaughn

I, also, am a skydiver and have taken advantage of thermals during the
canopy ride. I have only encountered "weak" thermals and have only been able
to maintain a given altitude for a short time. While I'm sure it's probable
that a skydiver under a canopy can gain altitude from thermals under "good"
conditions, the canopy (as Mike points out in the post below) is trimmed
quite differently from a paraglider or a powered parachute and is designed
to descend. In my experience, the thermals I have encountered (mostly from
paved parts of the airfield) in Florida are somewhat turbulent. This can be
fun or not depending on the jumper's experience! Sometimes a jumper under a
lightly loaded canopy (usually a student or low-timer) can experience a
little rocking and rolling in thermals or other turbulence that can be a
little disconcerting while he's looking up at the canopy and watching it
flap and breathe and bump. Another thought -- Thermals generated by the sun
beating down on airport pavement are usually blown downwind of the landing
zone at canopy-flying altitudes but ideally the skydiver hangs out upwind of
the LZ before entering the landing pattern. The "going back up" I was
referring to was while in the freefall phase of the skydive but, after
giving it a little more thought, a freefalling skydiver really CAN go up
relative to other freefallers, especially the more massive ones. I usually
have to wear 10 - 15 lbs of lead to keep up with some of the more
"aggressive fallers". (Makes the canopy a little more fun, too!)

tp

Old May 26th 09, 11:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Steve Hix

In article
,
bod43 wrote:

On 26 May, 03:01, Andrew Gideon wrote:
On Mon, 25 May 2009 05:24:45 -0700, the.sargon wrote:
I think you're reaching on the aerobatic. *Do you have a specific
incident?

What about "climbing" as an altitude violation for a jumper?

Here is a near miss - in UK I believe.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHA0zvFfH9U

Might have been in the UK, but the Chipmunk had maple leaf markings on
the wings.

Surely scary enough for all concerned.