Skydiving and FAA regs

Old May 27th 09, 12:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dana M. Hague[_2_]

Default Skydiving and FAA regs

On Tue, 26 May 2009 10:53:34 -0400, Mike Ash wrote:

And there is of course an entire sport dedicated to this called
paragliding. I believe their parachutes are somewhat different, but that
just means it's harder to thermal a skydiving parachute, not impossible.

Despite some similarities in appearance and construction, a paraglider
is COMPLETELY different from a skydiving parachute. A paraglider is a
wing (PG pilot's don't call them "parachutes"), designed solely for
gliding flight, and cannot be used for jumping (the shock of a free
fall opening would destroy it).

But yes, it's just [barely] possible to thermal a skydiving parachute.
And there are some horror stories of people who have bailed out into
thunderstorms and reached alarming altitudes...

-Dana
--
When you get it right
mighty beasts float up into the sky

-Roger Bacon (c1384)
Old May 27th 09, 02:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Andrew Gideon

On Tue, 26 May 2009 13:46:36 +0000, good grief wrote:

Best I can tell he was humorously alluding to the fact that skydivers
cannot go back up and that "climbing" would be some sort of altitude
violation (or at the very least a violation of the laws of physics.) ;-)
Of course I could be wrong......

You were right. Oh, well; *I* thought it pretty funny.

- Andrew
Old May 27th 09, 03:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mike Ash

In article ,
Dana M. Hague wrote:

On Tue, 26 May 2009 10:53:34 -0400, Mike Ash wrote:

And there is of course an entire sport dedicated to this called
paragliding. I believe their parachutes are somewhat different, but that
just means it's harder to thermal a skydiving parachute, not impossible.

Despite some similarities in appearance and construction, a paraglider
is COMPLETELY different from a skydiving parachute. A paraglider is a
wing (PG pilot's don't call them "parachutes"), designed solely for
gliding flight, and cannot be used for jumping (the shock of a free
fall opening would destroy it).

What do they think the "para" in "paragliding" comes from, then?

Good information about the opening shock. I had no idea about that.

--
Mike Ash
Radio Free Earth
Old May 27th 09, 09:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Steve Hix

In article ,
Dana M. Hague wrote:

On Tue, 26 May 2009 10:53:34 -0400, Mike Ash wrote:

And there is of course an entire sport dedicated to this called
paragliding. I believe their parachutes are somewhat different, but that
just means it's harder to thermal a skydiving parachute, not impossible.

Despite some similarities in appearance and construction, a paraglider
is COMPLETELY different from a skydiving parachute. A paraglider is a
wing (PG pilot's don't call them "parachutes"), designed solely for
gliding flight, and cannot be used for jumping (the shock of a free
fall opening would destroy it).

But yes, it's just [barely] possible to thermal a skydiving parachute.
And there are some horror stories of people who have bailed out into
thunderstorms and reached alarming altitudes...

"The Man Who Rode the Thunder", Lt. Col. William Rankin, USMC, for one.
Old May 28th 09, 03:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Peter Dohm

"Andrew Gideon" wrote in message
On Tue, 26 May 2009 13:46:36 +0000, good grief wrote:

Best I can tell he was humorously alluding to the fact that skydivers
cannot go back up and that "climbing" would be some sort of altitude
violation (or at the very least a violation of the laws of physics.) ;-)
Of course I could be wrong......

You were right. Oh, well; *I* thought it pretty funny.

- Andrew

I wan smile was about the best I could do, but you do have a point--on some
days, this NG does look like the home of the profoundly humor impaired...
:-(

Peter

Old May 28th 09, 12:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On May 27, 9:22*am, Mike Ash wrote:
In article ,
*Dana M. Hague wrote:

On Tue, 26 May 2009 10:53:34 -0400, Mike Ash wrote:

And there is of course an entire sport dedicated to this called
paragliding. I believe their parachutes are somewhat different, but that
just means it's harder to thermal a skydiving parachute, not impossible.

Despite some similarities in appearance and construction, a paraglider
is COMPLETELY different from a skydiving parachute. *A paraglider is a
wing (PG pilot's don't call them "parachutes"), designed solely for
gliding flight, and cannot be used for jumping (the shock of a free
fall opening would destroy it).

What do they think the "para" in "paragliding" comes from, then?

Good information about the opening shock. I had no idea about that.

--
Mike Ash
Radio Free Earth

Yep. One of the most realistic moments in the latest Star Trek film
was the ad hoc tandem jump of Kirk and Sulu. Upon deployment Kirk's
canopy is immediately ripped away. Although (IIRC) the film indicated
a riser-harness (french links! those *******s!) failure it is more
likely that a riser connection would fail or seams would rip leading
to a 'blown out' canopy. That's one of the reasons tandem jumps use
drogue chutes.
Old May 28th 09, 12:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On May 27, 9:11*pm, "Peter Dohm" wrote:
"Andrew Gideon" wrote in message

On Tue, 26 May 2009 13:46:36 +0000, good grief wrote:

Best I can tell he was humorously alluding to the fact that skydivers
cannot go back up and that "climbing" would be some sort of altitude
violation (or at the very least a violation of the laws of physics.) ;-)
Of course I could be wrong......

You were right. *Oh, well; *I* thought it pretty funny.

- Andrew

I wan smile was about the best I could do, but you do have a point--on some
days, this NG does look like the home of the profoundly humor impaired...
:-(

Peter

If only someone here understood what you were trying to say.... ;-)
Old May 28th 09, 03:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On May 28, 7:06*am, "Steven P. McNicoll"

Yep. *One of the most realistic moments in the latest Star Trek film
was the ad hoc tandem jump of Kirk and Sulu. *Upon deployment Kirk's
canopy is immediately ripped away. *Although (IIRC) the film indicated
a riser-harness (french links! those *******s!) failure it is more
likely that a riser connection would fail or seams would rip leading
to a 'blown out' canopy. *That's one of the reasons tandem jumps use
drogue chutes.

That "realistic" tandem jump was preceded by a jump from orbit.

Actually, if you paid attention to the dialog (albeit brief) the
mining platform was not 'in orbit' but was rather 'in hover'. Thus
the jump was not 'from orbit' and was not subject to re-entry
conditions. Instead it was more akin to Joe Kittinger's jump in 1960
from 102,000 feet in a balloon. http://www.aerospaceweb.org/question...cs/q0243.shtml
Old May 28th 09, 03:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
good grief

Yep. One of the most realistic moments in the latest Star Trek film
was the ad hoc tandem jump of Kirk and Sulu. Upon deployment Kirk's
canopy is immediately ripped away. Although (IIRC) the film indicated
a riser-harness (french links! those *******s!) failure it is more
likely that a riser connection would fail or seams would rip leading
to a 'blown out' canopy. That's one of the reasons tandem jumps use
drogue chutes.

That "realistic" tandem jump was preceded by a jump from orbit.

Actually, if you paid attention to the dialog (albeit brief) the
mining platform was not 'in orbit' but was rather 'in hover'. Thus
the jump was not 'from orbit' and was not subject to re-entry
conditions. Instead it was more akin to Joe Kittinger's jump in 1960
from 102,000 feet in a balloon.
http://www.aerospaceweb.org/question...cs/q0243.shtml

Boy! that'd be a bitch to "spot"!........ with the DZ moving at 1000 mph
below you and the surface dragging the atmosphere with it. I guess you could
drop some streamers. ;-)

I wonder how you'd do the "hover" thing? Also, I haven't seen the movie yet
but WTF could they possibly be mining in open space? Dark matter?

~ tp