Skydiving and FAA regs

Old May 28th 09, 03:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default Skydiving and FAA regs

On May 28, 9:31*am, "good grief" wrote:
Yep. One of the most realistic moments in the latest Star Trek film
was the ad hoc tandem jump of Kirk and Sulu. Upon deployment Kirk's
canopy is immediately ripped away. Although (IIRC) the film indicated
a riser-harness (french links! those *******s!) failure it is more
likely that a riser connection would fail or seams would rip leading
to a 'blown out' canopy. That's one of the reasons tandem jumps use
drogue chutes.

That "realistic" tandem jump was preceded by a jump from orbit.
Actually, if you paid attention to the dialog (albeit brief) the
mining platform was not 'in orbit' but was rather 'in hover'. *Thus
the jump was not 'from orbit' and was not subject to re-entry
conditions. *Instead it was more akin to Joe Kittinger's jump in 1960
from 102,000 feet in a balloon.
http://www.aerospaceweb.org/question...cs/q0243.shtml

Boy! that'd be a bitch to "spot"!........ with the DZ moving at 1000 mph
below you and the surface dragging the atmosphere with it. I guess you could
drop some streamers. ;-)

I wonder how you'd do the "hover" thing? *Also, I haven't seen the movie yet
but WTF could they possibly be mining in open space? Dark matter?

~ tp

Hmmm...don't want to spoil it for you. The platform is hovering over
Vulcan...and you're in the ballpark with the 'matter'. They matched
rotation so it was a relative work hover g. Three jumpers in the
scene and one is wearing red...guess who 'wins' the low pull contest?

Similar to all my buddies ragging on me for shooting video- I liked
freefall RW, just didn't like to touch anyone- just 'hover'.
Old May 28th 09, 04:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
good grief

[...]

OK....so if they are not in Vulco-stationary orbit they must be in powered
spaceflight to maintain their position "non-ballistically".

Is the "winner" of the low-pull contest the guy who pulls the lowest or is
it the guy who didn't bounce? :-)
Anyway......my guess would be....who else but Scotty C. ;-)) No not THAT
Scotty! (sorry...inside joke)

--TonyP

Old May 28th 09, 04:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On May 28, 10:16*am, "good grief" wrote:
[...]

Never go to a landing party in a red shirt...he pulls lowest...but
doesn't bounce... :-)

I had a 35 second main canopy ride once. AFF first jump student
streamered and I waited until reserve deployment to throwout my pilot
chute...I was in a standing position filming him waaaay above me. I
was open under 1000'. Ooops.
Old May 29th 09, 07:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
accelerator

On May 28, 7:45*pm, wrote:
[...]

Shortest canopy ride I had was about a minute and I felt pretty
sheepish about that. AFF L5 student (seems to be a common thread) way
back in '84 and she flat spinned (spun?) I got too carried away, lost
alt awareness and went through the hard deck to dump her out. I
learned a lot from that and never did it again.

Anyway, now I know what pilots really talk about in forums .... Star
Trek! Thanks for the tip, I feel there is a(nother) gap in my
education that I need to get out and fill (the movie).
Cheers
Rob
http://www.acceleratedfreefall.com