Canadian contests & SSA ranking points

Old March 27th 14, 01:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Canadian contests & SSA ranking points

We had a quick chat on the Canadian side of the equation about this.
The Canadian Nats would have to be sanctioned by the SSA (pay the
contest fee and possible other issues). Each contest pilot (at the very
least the ones to get seeding) would need to be SSA members. This is
assuming that the SSA would even consider sanctioning this event by
waiver or something along those lines and that the Soaring Association
of Canada would agree. The additional cost of a SSA fee would have to
be passed on to the pilots, while some of us who care about US seeding
points wouldn't necessarily be bothered by this, the financial impact
could drive down participation from pilots who are not interested in SSA
seeding points. To be honest I think the ball is in our court and not
the US/SSA.

Cheers,
Luke Szczepaniak

Luke: These all seem like issues that can be overcome. A unified north american contest scene makes a lot of sense to me. If there is serious interest, the head of Canadian contest committee should talk to the SSA contest chair (Ken Sorenson) and get the ball rolling.

John Cochrane

Old March 29th 14, 09:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I notice that on Industry Canada's site they say that the exemption of the requirement to have a radio station license for aircraft only applies if the aircraft is not operated out of Canadian sovereign airspace unless "the aircraft is in the territory of another country with which Canada has entered into a reciprocal agreement that confers similar privileges on Canadians" Presumably we have that agreement with the US which is why the requirements for US pilots and aircraft in Canada to have the license has also been dropped.

Oh, and JS - yes, definitely go to Invermere if you can! I have memories of some fantastic flights there. Too bad I haven't been able to get away for even a week in the summer for the past several years.
Old March 29th 14, 12:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jock Proudfoot

29 March , wrote:
I notice that on Industry Canada's site they say that the exemption of

therequirement to have a radio station license for aircraft only applies if
the aircraft is not operated out of Canadian sovereign airspace unless "the
aircraft is in the territory of another country with which Canada has
entered into a reciprocal agreement that confers similar privileges on
Canadians
Presumably we have that agreement with the US which is why the

requirements for US pilots and aircraft in Canada to have the license has
also been dropped.

See
http://wireless.fcc.gov/services/ind...craft_stations

On October 25, 1996, the FCC released a Report and Order in WT Docket No.
96-82 (text) eliminating the individual licensing requirement for all
aircraft, including scheduled air carriers, air taxis and general aviation
aircraft operating domestically. This means that you do not need a license
to operate a two-way VHF radio, radar, or emergency locator transmitter
(ELT) aboard aircraft operating domestically. All other aircraft radio
stations must be licensed by the FCC either individually or by fleet.
Aircraft operating domestically do not land in a foreign country or
communicate via radio with foreign ground stations. Flying in international
or foreign airspace is permitted, so long as the previous conditions are
met. If you travel to a foreign destination, however, (e.g., Canada,
Mexico, Bahamas, British Virgin Islands) a license is required.

SSA Best Pilot Ranking Andy[_1_] Soaring 2 June 14th 10 10:09 PM
Petraeus Points to War With Iran NOMOREWARFORISRAEL[_2_] Naval Aviation 4 April 15th 08 10:49 PM
More points to ponder Montblack Piloting 0 February 7th 06 08:38 PM
Ranking List Spreckley Soaring 0 June 2nd 04 03:13 PM
Ranking List Spreckley Soaring 0 June 2nd 04 03:02 PM