SSA Region 1 Races?

Old February 6th 14, 07:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Greg Delp

Default SSA Region 1 Races?

Looking back through the threads for past few years, it doesn't look like there has been a Region 1 race since 2008. Do any of the racers from the area think there will be a race in Region 1 in the near future?

Is there any interest from the clubs in the Region in getting together to organize some type of soaring competition possibly in preparation for organizing a race in the future?

There are several members of the Connecticut Soaring Association who are looking to start getting involved in cross country and possibly races. Is the Red Baron Trophy still circulating somewhere in the region? Last I heard it was at GBSC. Spinning wheels here to help melt the snow faster.
Old February 28th 14, 10:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
cuflyer

Greg, took me a while to see this.
Region 1 is pretty much dead comp-wise. I fly out of Sugarbush and can tell you there won't be any races out of here any time soon. I, too, would like some Northern comps. Let me know if anything happens in Ct.

Cheers,
Tim
1FL

Old March 1st 14, 01:48 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Friday, February 28, 2014 5:09:14 PM UTC-5, cuflyer wrote:
Greg, took me a while to see this. Region 1 is pretty much dead comp-wise.. I fly out of Sugarbush and can tell you there won't be any races out of here any time soon. I, too, would like some Northern comps. Let me know if anything happens in Ct. Cheers, Tim 1FL

I'm curious as to why.
Because nobody wants to race?
Because nobody wants to run the race?
Other?
UH
Old March 1st 14, 12:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
cuflyer

Speaking for Sugarbush - very few racers left, ergo, nobody wants to run it..
Nor is the financial incentive there for the interruption of normal ops.

Tim
1FL

Old March 1st 14, 08:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Greg Delp

We have pretty limited racing experience at Connecticut Soaring with only one member with previous race experience and none that have ever helped host one that I know of. Having watched a few races I can see what a big job it is to host one. I wouldn't want to bite off more than the club could chew for the first time without someone with much more experience around to help coordinate everything. I was hoping to ignite some interest with the bigger clubs in the Region so that we could participate and learn enough to host our own race someday. I know we have lots of very experienced racers in the Region who I hope would enjoy having another event nearby.
Old March 2nd 14, 12:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
cuflyer

Well, the answer here is to set up some informal weekend racing. Down South where I fly in the spring, we have a thing called GTA (Ga/Tn/Al) race series where a couple of weekends a month through Sept, we have an informal sports class race with A Class for experience and B Class for newbies. Every time the race is at a different site on a rotating basis. Scores are recorded and every one chips in some money for organization and trophies at the end of the year. All you need is a tow plane and some one with enough experience to mentor and call appropriate tasks; and some one who knows how to use WinScore. It is all for fun and an excellent way to bring new folks into racing.
This is the GTA web site: http://www.gliderpilot.org/GTA
I think regional racing in Region 1 may be dead, for now anyway, but this works great. Who knows, if we get enough people hooked, things could change.

Cheers,
Tim
1FL

Old March 2nd 14, 02:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

We do something similar in Northern Illinois. Rules he

http://faculty.chicagobooth.edu/john...index.htm#nisc

Since moving from club to club is hard, we score flights originating from any of the area clubs. We use winscore and standard ssa race parameters, which really helps new pilots get used to start, finish, turnpoint geometry and rules and task strategies. Every day is a potential race day, best 8 flights over the season crowns the champion, AKA Herb Kilian.

John Cochrane
Old March 2nd 14, 03:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Evan Ludeman[_4_]

On Sunday, March 2, 2014 7:24:24 AM UTC-5, cuflyer wrote:
[GTA]

I'm composing an email to my board....

Evan Ludeman / T8

Old March 2nd 14, 04:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
noel.wade

Another suggestion:

If your area has no contest experience, you could hold a non-sanctioned introductory race with just a single class (sports) over a long weekend. If you introduce contests in a low-pressure scenario then you can build interest & momentum & volunteer knowledge over 1-2 seasons so that holding a sanctioned contest is not as high of a hurdle in a future season.

I've been helping organize an event in WA called "The Dust Up" every Memorial Day weekend over the last 5 years. Each year we alternate between holding an XC camp (with nightly talks, two-seat 2-3 hr mentorship rides, and some lead-and-follow flying) and holding a mini-contest (the nightly talks then focus on safety and strategy basics). A 3-day contest risks being rained out of course; but on the flip side it's relatively easy to manage with a single class and a small number of "contestants" (say 15-30). 3-4 days is just enough time to show people 1-2 simple TAT tasks and 1 MAT, give them 2-3 nighttime seminars, and hold a couple of good potlucks/BBQs to build camaraderie and get experienced folk mingling with newer folks.

It's been well-received up in our region, and if anyone is interested in hosting a similar event I'm happy to offer tips, advice, share presentation material, etc. You can contact me at noel.wade(at)gmail(dot)com.

Good luck,

--Noel

Region 3 contestants Welcome-Region Six North Contest Ionia November Bravo Soaring 0 August 13th 09 12:53 PM
Red Bul Races Russell Aviation Photos 0 November 20th 06 07:42 AM
Red Bull Races Russell Aviation Photos 0 November 19th 06 12:00 PM
Red Bull Races Russell Aviation Photos 0 November 19th 06 12:00 PM
Sun 100 and Sun 60 races Tedstriker Home Built 1 April 18th 05 04:16 AM