Canadian contests & SSA ranking points

Old March 26th 14, 06:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sean Fidler

Default Canadian contests & SSA ranking points

Why don't we (US, the SSA) credit US pilots who fly Canadian contests with SSA ranking points? For example, Canadian Nationals?

I think that it is sensible that Candian pilots are given a ranking on the 2014 SSA ranking list. Why not expand an complete the integration?

http://soaringweb.org/PRL/prl.2014.html

Thoughts?

Sean

Old March 26th 14, 07:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Luke Szczepaniak

On 03/26/2014 1:11 PM, Sean Fidler wrote:
Why don't we (US, the SSA) credit US pilots who fly Canadian contests with SSA ranking points? For example, Canadian Nationals?

I think that it is sensible that Candian pilots are given a ranking on the 2014 SSA ranking list. Why not expand an complete the integration?

http://soaringweb.org/PRL/prl.2014.html

Thoughts?

Sean

We had a quick chat on the Canadian side of the equation about this.
The Canadian Nats would have to be sanctioned by the SSA (pay the
contest fee and possible other issues). Each contest pilot (at the very
least the ones to get seeding) would need to be SSA members. This is
assuming that the SSA would even consider sanctioning this event by
waiver or something along those lines and that the Soaring Association
of Canada would agree. The additional cost of a SSA fee would have to
be passed on to the pilots, while some of us who care about US seeding
points wouldn't necessarily be bothered by this, the financial impact
could drive down participation from pilots who are not interested in SSA
seeding points. To be honest I think the ball is in our court and not
the US/SSA.

Cheers,
Luke Szczepaniak
Old March 26th 14, 11:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sean Fidler

Thanks Luke!

I think more US pilots would come to Canadian Nationals if it included ranking points. I'm not sure if that would fully offset the fall out from fellow Canadians. Buffalo and I are planning on it either way!

Sean
Old March 27th 14, 12:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS

Are Aircraft Radio Operator and Aircraft Radio Station licences still required in Canada?
What are the current requirements for FAA "Experimental" aircraft to fly in Canada? Believe it had been a problem in the past.
Thanks,
Jim
Old March 27th 14, 01:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Springford

The website for the Canadian Nationals has a page dealing with the topic of US experimental gliders. The short version, if you have an experimental aircraft that you want to fly in Canada, you need to request a Validation of Foreign Flight Authority. Similar to what a Canadian experimental aircraft needs to fly in the US.

Details are he
http://sac.ca/nationals/index.php?op...info&Itemid=15

As far as radio license, a radio station license is no longer required. It is now included as part of annual aircraft fees for Canadian aircraft. Operators do require a radio operators license. I don't know how this is handled in the US, but I assume something like this is required in the US, so the US equivalent would be valid in Canada while flying a US registered aircraft.
Old March 27th 14, 01:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sean Fidler

I was able to bring my glider into Canada with a simple permit form (1 page) and a $100 fee that was good for one full month I believe. This was back in 2011. It was a very easy process and there were no funny limitations like a requirement for a radio license. I did hear that it had been more difficult in the past. It appears they cleaned up some of the unnecessary complications!

If you would like I can furnish you with the contact info, instructions, etc. This was all provided by the Canadian contest organizers and worked like a charm. Several US pilots have attended the Canadian Nationals each in the past few years. It is a great time! Beware of the Lions however. Not kidding.

I plan on using the same registration process again this year. I will take a few moments to document the process (on a google site perhaps) for future US pilots looking to attend a Canadian contest. This would be a good resource for us and for Canadian contest organizers although I think they have a instructions in their contest info as well.

Sean
Old March 27th 14, 01:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sean Fidler

Sorry Dave. Didn't see your much better post until after I sent mine. What Dave says!
Old March 27th 14, 01:48 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS

Thanks Dave. The two radio licences in the USA were discontinued about 20 years ago.
Personally not thinking of competition, but perhaps a trip up to Invermere...
Jim
Old March 27th 14, 02:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Springford

If Canada, if you have a commercial power license, you do not need a radio operators permit, it is considered part of your commercial license training. If you have a glider or private license the radio license is required.

Probably a wise decision since many glider pilots without a power license have no clue how to use a radio. At my club the radio is often treated as a transmit only device.

Old March 27th 14, 07:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]

On Wednesday, March 26, 2014 12:11:56 PM UTC-5, Sean Fidler wrote:
Why don't we (US, the SSA) credit US pilots who fly Canadian contests with SSA ranking points? For example, Canadian Nationals?

I think that it is sensible that Candian pilots are given a ranking on the 2014 SSA ranking list. Why not expand an complete the integration?

http://soaringweb.org/PRL/prl.2014.html

Thoughts?

Sean

what about non-canadian foreign national championships, and continental championships? should those contests also count towards US pilot ranking? This kinda goes back to the concept of national records following citizenship instead of geography. are we trying to determine the "best" glider pilot who is a US Citizen or that flew a contest in the USA?

SSA Best Pilot Ranking Andy[_1_] Soaring 2 June 14th 10 10:09 PM
Petraeus Points to War With Iran NOMOREWARFORISRAEL[_2_] Naval Aviation 4 April 15th 08 10:49 PM
More points to ponder Montblack Piloting 0 February 7th 06 09:38 PM
Ranking List Spreckley Soaring 0 June 2nd 04 03:13 PM
Ranking List Spreckley Soaring 0 June 2nd 04 03:02 PM