Aircel 7 Coaxial Cable BNC/TNC Connector

Old May 16th 14, 11:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Papa3[_2_]

Default Aircel 7 Coaxial Cable BNC/TNC Connector

Wondering if anyone else has dealt with this recently (trying to save an hour of Googling). My new ASG-29 shipped from the factory with a built in Transponder Antenna. Schleicher was on the ball, and used a low-loss 7mm Aircell coaxial cable. It comes un-terminated. The transponder requires a TNC connector, and one they supplied will not fit over the larger diameter cable. So, I'm in the market for a TNC connector that will work with the 7mm Aircell cable, sourced in the US. Barring that, I can make up an adapter that goes BNC to BNC to TNC. A good friend has the appropriate BNC bits, but they're not readily available. Was hoping to do this middle of next week.

So, any of you radio guys have the part numbers and sources for the above?

Thanks in advance,

P3
Old May 17th 14, 03:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Richard[_9_]

On Friday, May 16, 2014 3:11:03 PM UTC-7, Papa3 wrote:
Wondering if anyone else has dealt with this recently (trying to save an hour of Googling). My new ASG-29 shipped from the factory with a built in Transponder Antenna. Schleicher was on the ball, and used a low-loss 7mm Aircell coaxial cable. It comes un-terminated. The transponder requires a TNC connector, and one they supplied will not fit over the larger diameter cable. So, I'm in the market for a TNC connector that will work with the 7mm Aircell cable, sourced in the US. Barring that, I can make up an adapter that goes BNC to BNC to TNC. A good friend has the appropriate BNC bits, but they're not readily available. Was hoping to do this middle of next week.

So, any of you radio guys have the part numbers and sources for the above?

Thanks in advance,

P3

Probably much easier to go with the RG400 cable. No one will notice as far as operation of the transponder. Putting a adapter in the cable will probably dumb down the Aircell cable and make it about as effective as the RG400.
Old May 17th 14, 04:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS

Aha, so that's the new P3!
Perhaps RG6U connectors will work on the 7mm Aircell? Look at
http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/...2PRBH4ect1xg==
Jim
Old May 17th 14, 12:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Papa3[_2_]

Thanks guys. I probably didn't make it clear - the transponder antenna is a factory install and not accessible. All I have to work with is the bitter end at the panel. So, the Aircell 7 cable is a done-deal. Google turns up the part number I need. Only problem is that there doesn't (currently) seem to be a US distributor. Working my UK network now. And Jim, I will look into the alternative of using the RG6U, but I'm not sure the core diameters are right.
Old May 17th 14, 02:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Friday, May 16, 2014 5:11:03 PM UTC-5, Papa3 wrote:
Wondering if anyone else has dealt with this recently (trying to save an hour of Googling). My new ASG-29 shipped from the factory with a built in Transponder Antenna. Schleicher was on the ball, and used a low-loss 7mm Aircell coaxial cable. It comes un-terminated. The transponder requires a TNC connector, and one they supplied will not fit over the larger diameter cable. So, I'm in the market for a TNC connector that will work with the 7mm Aircell cable, sourced in the US. Barring that, I can make up an adapter that goes BNC to BNC to TNC. A good friend has the appropriate BNC bits, but they're not readily available. Was hoping to do this middle of next week.

So, any of you radio guys have the part numbers and sources for the above?

Thanks in advance,

P3

I just went through this and solved the problem. These connectors are not now available in the US, and our glider supply stores don't have them.

This is the object you want

http://ssb.de/ssb/files/7396_tnc-con..._aircell_7.pdf

I got them from the manufacturer,

SSB-Electronic GmbH
Ostenfeldmark 21, 59557 Lippstadt, Germany
Fon: +49 2941-93385-0; Fax:-120
eMail: ; www.ssb.de

However, they only sell a minimum of 8 at a time. And charge an arm and a leg for Fedex. (Because you didn't figure out this problem until the glider is in pieces....) So as it turns out I have 7 very expensive aircell 7 connectors, very lonely looking for an aircell 7 cable. email me and I'll send you one.

In the future, a US company called vibroplex will have them, but don't seem to have them yet.

European glider websites sell them. If you google aircell 7 cable and 7396 TNC connector a few will show up. glider-equipment.nl corresponded with me, but I needed fedex which they couldn't do.
Old May 17th 14, 02:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Nadler

On Friday, May 16, 2014 6:11:03 PM UTC-4, Papa3 wrote:
Wondering if anyone else has dealt with this recently (trying to save an hour of Googling). My new ASG-29 shipped from the factory with a built in Transponder Antenna. Schleicher was on the ball, and used a low-loss 7mm Aircell coaxial cable. It comes un-terminated. The transponder requires a TNC connector, and one they supplied will not fit over the larger diameter cable. So, I'm in the market for a TNC connector that will work with the 7mm Aircell cable, sourced in the US. Barring that, I can make up an adapter that goes BNC to BNC to TNC. A good friend has the appropriate BNC bits, but they're not readily available. Was hoping to do this middle of next week.

So, any of you radio guys have the part numbers and sources for the above?

Thanks in advance,

P3

Sorry I don't have time to look up the exact part for you,
but two sources I'd suggest a
Pasternack.com
brackemfg.com

Let us know if that helps,
Best Regards, Dave "YO electric"
Old May 17th 14, 04:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Vaughn

On 5/17/2014 9:56 AM, Dave Nadler wrote:

Sorry I don't have time to look up the exact part for you,
but two sources I'd suggest a
Pasternack.com
brackemfg.com

When I was in the 2-way radio biz, https://www.tessco.com/ was my go-to
source. I also recall that Pasternack is also excellent for small
quantities and for custom assemblies.

Old May 17th 14, 05:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy K

On Saturday, May 17, 2014 11:15:25 AM UTC-4, Vaughn wrote:
On 5/17/2014 9:56 AM, Dave Nadler wrote:

Sorry I don't have time to look up the exact part for you,

but two sources I'd suggest a

Pasternack.com

brackemfg.com

When I was in the 2-way radio biz, https://www.tessco.com/ was my go-to

source. I also recall that Pasternack is also excellent for small

quantities and for custom assemblies.

You can buy it from the glider shop.

http://www.gliderpilotshop.nl/winkel...?cPath=5_19_82
Old May 17th 14, 05:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Nadler

On Saturday, May 17, 2014 11:15:25 AM UTC-4, Vaughn wrote:
On 5/17/2014 9:56 AM, Dave Nadler wrote:
Sorry I don't have time to look up the exact part for you,
but two sources I'd suggest a
Pasternack.com
brackemfg.com

When I was in the 2-way radio biz, https://www.tessco.com/ was my go-to
source. I also recall that Pasternack is also excellent for small
quantities and for custom assemblies.

Yes, Pasternack is pricey but high quality and stocks
amazing variety for immediate delivery. If it were me,
I'd find a high-quality BNC connector for the supplied
cable (should have been applied by Schleicher), then
use an adapter to the transponder.

No Radio Shack stuff here please!

Hope that helps,
Best Regards, Dave "YO electric"
Old May 18th 14, 02:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Papa3[_2_]

Yeah, and there's the rub. Schleicher supplied a raw cable without BNC or TNC (or any other connector) at the panel end. After extensive digging, I couldn't find a connector that would work with the Aircell 7MM coax cable dimensions (core, dielectric, outer conductor). That was subsequently verified by both John Cochrane and also a friend of mine who is a Ham Radio guy. Anyway, problem almost solved thanks to BB. As mentioned in his post, there should (shortly) be a source for Aircell components in the US when their new distributor comes on line in June. Again, thanks to everyone for their ideas. I did find a bunch of nice solutions for other wiring issues poking around on the Pasternack site.

P3