Wet Variometer Repair

Old April 23rd 06, 11:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Wet Variometer Repair

I removed a mechanical vario from our club glider which was stuck on 5 =
m/s
down and had water behind the front face.

Thinking I would not loose much, I carefully removed the front face and
drained about 0.5 oz of gooky water from the instrument and let it air =
dry.
Unfortunately, it remains stuck on 5 m/s and the next step of =
disassembly is
not immediately intuitive.

=20

The only signs on the instrument are on the front face as follows:

1. An insignia consisting of a star inside small shield which in turn
has a small 3-feathered wing on the right upper side.
2. UL 31-10 is given on the right hand side above the pointer support.
3. No 9525163 is given on the right hand side below the pointer
support.
4. The scale of +/- 5 m/s on the left hand side.

=20

The back of the instrument has a staked hose bib for the static port or =
TE
probe port. I hope that if I un-stake and unscrew the bib, the whole =
unit
will come out of its case.

=20

Here are my questions

=20

1. What is the make of the instrument? Will I find service instruction
on their website?
2. Is it repairable? By me? Or must I send it in to a repair shop.
3. What are the next steps in taking it apart and cleaning it?
4. Is it worth while to send it to a repair shop? Any suggestion to
whom?

=20

Any suggestions are welcome. I figure in the worst case I will learn how
such an instrument is built; and in the best case I will get it back to
function usefully in some fashion.

=20

Heinz

=20

Old April 28th 06, 02:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

You might try cleaning gunk that was left behind ultrasonically. That
would not require disassembly and you have nothing to lose. Perhaps
your local avonic shop has one. Jewlery repair shops definitely will.