RI tax madness

Old August 28th 03, 08:54 PM
Gil Brice

Default RI tax madness

Only having been a pilot for 2-years I can honestly say that this is the
most ridiculous "Russian Roulette" regulation I have seen yet.

"Roger Long" om wrote in
message ...
Say, this really looks to be for real. AOPA just advised me not to stay
overnight in RI or fly between airports until it blows over. I'm planning
on emailing the following to some of the FBO's to give them some

ammunition
in getting it overturned. Other northeast pilots might want to do

something
similar.

-------------------

Thank you for taking time to discuss the emergency tax regulation. I will
be informing our 25 club members that flights to RI in club aircraft are
prohibited until this matter is resolved. Although I understand that the
provision only applies to overnight stopovers or flights between RI
airports, I would not want a member faced with the choice between assuming
an economic liability equal to 7% of the aircraft's cost and taking off in
poor weather or with a mechanical problem. I also would not want their
choice of an emergency diversion airport effected by knowledge of this
provision.

I am confident that this tax provision will eventually be overturned by

the
courts, even if common sense does not prevail. In the meantime, we would

be
required to carry any tax judgement as a liability on our books which

would
impair our ability to borrow money or sell the aircraft. We could also be
exposed to legal costs defending against any action by the state to

collect.

I look forward to a successful resolution of this matter so that we, and
other GA pilots, will again feel free to fly to RI and spend our dollars

in
your state.

--
Roger Long

Old August 29th 03, 01:42 AM
Steve Foley

I received the following response to an inquiry I made yesterday:

Old August 29th 03, 01:52 AM
Neal

Then they should have worded it to say exactly just that. As it's
currently worded, it says otherwise.

Mr. Foley:

Non-residents are not subject to the 7% R.I. Use Tax. This regulation

applies to persons or companies that may have some type of residency or

business location in Rhode Island.

Aviation Ebay Madness... Richard Stewart Military Aviation 17 February 9th 04 10:17 AM
It's over was: RI tax madness Roger Long Owning 18 September 3rd 03 10:03 PM
RI tax madness Peter Gottlieb Owning 9 August 29th 03 04:06 PM
RI tax madness Peter Gottlieb Piloting 6 August 29th 03 04:06 PM