Personal locator beacon

Old November 8th 05, 06:47 AM
bumper

Default Personal locator beacon

A few months back, I purchased an ACR PLB with on-board GPS. This is a
portable 406 Mhz unit that can give search and rescue your near exact
position far faster than the old 121.5/243 Mhz ELT's. It also has a unique
identifier that's tied into a database so SAR has your contact info
(registration is free).

This PLB can be attached to parachute harness so it locates you, not the
aircraft. It does not have a G-switch for automatic activation. Activation
is by pressing two buttons simultaneously (can be done with one hand without
looking).

Cheapest price I've been able to find is from Puget Sound Inflatables
(www.life-raft.com) and the phone number is 206-762-3877. You cannot get the
pilot discount through the website, you gotta call.

Price for pilots is $500 (after $50 dollar mail-in rebate) but you have to
remember to mention that you'd like the pilot discount when you call.

These guys are on the ball as far as shipping and service is concerned,
typically shipping same day.

I have no interest or affiliation with them.

all the best,

bumper
Minden, NV

Old November 8th 05, 04:29 PM
Simon Waddell

"bumper" wrote in message
[...]

Which particular model?
Simon
Switzerland

Old November 9th 05, 05:24 AM
bumper

"Simon Waddell" simonTAleswaddellsMOCch wrote in message

Which particular model?
Simon
Switzerland

The one I have is the ACR AquaFix (intended for boating use). The other ACR
models for the US market are the AeroFix (aircraft use) and 406 PLB (land
use). Note that they are all the same unit, the only difference being the
color of the plastic case.

See the mfg's website at http://www.acrelectronics.com/product.html

I think you have to order the PLB for the country of intended use and
registration. However, once registered, it can be used in other countries.

bumper