Waypoint/turnpoint files

Old March 5th 08, 07:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Waypoint/turnpoint files

Is there any rationality to the numbering of waypoints in files?
Looking at some from the Turnpoint Exchange, I can't find any real
order. If there's not a reason for a waypoint to be a specific
number, I can shuffle and renumber at will, right??
Old March 5th 08, 09:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Not if you compete. Sounds like you want to put in ABC.. order.
Turnpoints have a little history and pilots number their maps , and
being pilots, don't want to buy new maps every year. Plus a Turnpoint
can exist for years and gets "tagged" for life that becomes engrained
in our brains. Change the number sequence and "F... and S..." can be
heard throughout the colony as now we have to redo our maps and cover
it with clear paper cussing the whole time. New Turnpoints will be
added to the bottom and the CM and CD do a great job in not upsetting
the sequence any more than they have to.
There are other reasons I'm sure, but familiarity improves safety and
reduces frustration , while the CD is calling out a revise task over
the radio.
And now, other reasons.
Old March 5th 08, 10:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy[_1_]

On Mar 5, 2:51*pm, " wrote:
Not if you compete. Sounds like you want to put in ABC.. order.
Turnpoints have a little history

The real problem is reprinting every page of the photo book if the
numbers change. No wait, we don't use them any more.

Andy
Old March 5th 08, 10:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Mar 5, 2:27*pm, Andy wrote:
On Mar 5, 2:51*pm, " wrote:

Not if you compete. Sounds like you want to put in ABC.. order.
Turnpoints have a little history

The real problem is reprinting every page of the photo book if the
numbers change. No wait, we don't use them any more.

Andy

Turn/Waypoint files being fairly small and simple, I figured I'd just
download all I can stand (areas I intend to fly this year) and import
them into a spreadsheet. Write a sort them and pitch all the
duplicates, then assign numbers and generate one waypoint file to use
in my iPAQ (running XCSoar) that has them all. Terrain, Topo, and SUA
files would be loaded for any given 'outing'.
Old March 6th 08, 06:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Peter Wyld[_2_]

What you need is TPSELECT, www.enborne.f2s.com/gliding/tpselect.htm

wrote in message
On Mar 5, 2:27 pm, Andy wrote:
On Mar 5, 2:51 pm, " wrote:

Not if you compete. Sounds like you want to put in ABC.. order.
Turnpoints have a little history

The real problem is reprinting every page of the photo book if the
numbers change. No wait, we don't use them any more.

Andy

Turn/Waypoint files being fairly small and simple, I figured I'd just
download all I can stand (areas I intend to fly this year) and import
them into a spreadsheet. Write a sort them and pitch all the
duplicates, then assign numbers and generate one waypoint file to use
in my iPAQ (running XCSoar) that has them all. Terrain, Topo, and SUA
fies would be loaded for any given 'outing'.

Old March 7th 08, 12:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Papa3

On Mar 5, 2:32*pm, wrote:
Is there any rationality to the numbering of waypoints in files?
Looking at some from the Turnpoint Exchange, I can't find any real
order. *If there's not a reason for a waypoint to be a specific
number, I can shuffle and renumber at will, right??

As far as your original question (logic of the numbering), I've seen:

- Distance from home field. Lowest number = closest. Makes it very
easy when calling a task for people to scan in the approximate range
from home.
- Alpha order.
- Rotation around the home field (i.e. NE quadrant included 1,2,3
etc. rotating around until the whole 360 field is covered).
- Random number generator :-)

As others mentioned, these files were typically oriented toward a
competition, so once they wee set, there is a lot of inertia getting
in the way of renumbering.

The other factor can then be that multiple turnpoint files get
concatenated to form a regional file. At that point, all bets are
off!

I've done what you're suggesting; imported a bunch of files and merged/
purged until I have a unique set. Then, sorted the file in Alpha
order by TP name and renumbered 1 - x. As of now, the Earth
continues to spin more or less predictably on its axis ...

P3

Old March 7th 08, 04:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Mar 7, 4:23*am, Papa3 wrote:
On Mar 5, 2:32*pm, wrote:

Is there any rationality to the numbering of waypoints in files?
Looking at some from the Turnpoint Exchange, I can't find any real
order. *If there's not a reason for a waypoint to be a specific
number, I can shuffle and renumber at will, right??

I've done what you're suggesting; imported a bunch of files and merged/
purged until I have a unique set. * Then, sorted the file in Alpha
order by TP name and renumbered 1 - x. * As of now, the Earth
continues to spin more or less predictably on its axis ...

P3

Thanks! I was worried about perhaps inducing global climate shift by
Whew! What a relief. If it DOES happen, I'm blaming YOU! ; - )
Another question. Does anyone know of a utility to allow viewing of
waypoint files in Google Earth? Even better would be GENERATING or
editing waypoints that way. I'm not a programmer, don't play one on
TV, and I've never stayed at a Holiday Inn Express, so I have no idea
how to go about this.

Turnpoint database [email protected] Soaring 6 November 11th 05 11:11 PM
SeeYou to LX7000 Waypoint Task Files Ken Kochanski (KK) Soaring 1 May 28th 05 12:22 AM
Turnpoint conversion SW? For Example John Smith Soaring 11 March 23rd 05 06:56 PM
Turnpoint descriptions Tuno Soaring 5 June 27th 04 02:41 PM
FAI turnpoint Question Mark Grubb Soaring 13 February 15th 04 02:31 AM