Hutch Hutchins?

Old December 2nd 12, 11:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Kuykendall

Default Hutch Hutchins?

On Dec 2, 2:32*pm, JJ Sinclair wrote:

Hutch was seen thermalling soooo low that he was casting a shadow
about 5PM, it is believed that he thermalled right into the
ground! ...

JJ, I used keywords from your account of the accident, and I was able
to find it in the NTSB database. It looks like it was LAX91LA378, of
31 Aug 1991.

Thanks again!

Bob K.

Old December 3rd 12, 04:35 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected][_1_]

Bob:

Private e-mail sent.

Mark
Old December 3rd 12, 12:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Nadler

On Sunday, December 2, 2012 12:14:06 PM UTC-5, Bob Kuykendall wrote:
... was used as a
plug to pull a set of molds for a certain composite sailplane kit that
appeared in about 1990.

That wouldn't be the same crew that:
- didn't understand the torque loads the SH offset spar
design resolves through the root rib,
- didn't do any proof-load tests prior delivering kits
- had unfortunate results for these and other reasons ?

I wouldn't expect anybody involved to admit it,
at least not prior to many beers...

See ya, Dave
Old December 3rd 12, 04:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Is that why there's a very nice looking example in the Southwest Soaring
Museum in Moriarty, NM?

http://www.airport-data.com/aircraft/photo/705037.html

Old December 3rd 12, 05:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Nadler

On Monday, December 3, 2012 11:46:06 AM UTC-5, Dan Marotta wrote:
Is that why there's a very nice looking example in the Southwest Soaring
Museum in Moriarty, NM?

http://www.airport-data.com/aircraft/photo/705037.html

IIRC there was a structural retrofit developed, but it was
a LOT of work. Some were updated and some were retired.
No idea about the example in the photo.
Surely Bob K. knows more details !

See ya, Dave

PS: Testing is good.

PPS: I sometimes teach a class on Testing and Testability ;-)
Old December 4th 12, 09:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected][_1_]

Testing is Good!

After the backbreaking labors of rigging and suspending a Spirit inverted, filling a metric ton of sandbags and loading / unloading them off the [now broken] wings, and then consuming some consumables, the Tehachapi Crew decided the optimal use of ASC gliders was as Salad Bars.

Put the plates and drinks in the cockpit on ice and have the veggies and toppings placed outboard in holes cut into the upper skins of the wings.

Happily, Tom Riley, among others, made the Heroic Effort and turned a few Spirits / Falcons into nice sailplanes.