SR22 crash involved racecar driver

Old October 27th 06, 06:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Darkwing

Default SR22 crash involved racecar driver

http://www.speedtv.com/articles/auto/scca/33645/

--------------------------------------
DW

Old October 27th 06, 08:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Larry Dighera

On Fri, 27 Oct 2006 13:39:10 -0400, "Darkwing"
theducksmail"AT"yahoo.com wrote in
:

http://www.speedtv.com/articles/auto/scca/33645/

SPEED Touring Car Driver DeCastro Perishes In Plane Accident
Written by: SCCA Communications
Mohave County, Ariz. – 10/27/2006

Lucho DeCastro (SCCA photo)

SCCA Pro Racing SPEED Touring Car driver Lucho DeCastro (44), his
wife and two children were killed in a private plane crash
Wednesday in northwestern Arizona, the Associated Press reported
Thursday.

According to the AP report, Ian Gregor, spokesman for the Federal
Aviation Administration, said the single-engine plane crashed
about noon Wednesday about 60 miles east of Las Vegas after its
pilot reported icing on the plane's wings. ...
Gregor said the plane, a Cirrus SR-22, was on its way to Phoenix
from the San Francisco Bay Area. ...

The DeCastro family—Lucho, Laura (41), Nadia (7) and Trevor (4),
were reported as the only passengers.

------------------------------
From the tracks available he

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/N...129Z/KMRY/KRNO
http://flightaware.com/live/flight/N121LD
it would seem the late Mr. DeCastro was comfortable at 14,000' and
could hold a straight course line.

------------------------------

It would appear Mr. DeCastro was a qualified commercial rated pilot:

FAA's airmans database:
https://amsrvs.registry.faa.gov/airm...ry/default.asp

LUIZ REIS DE CASTRO
Address

Street RUA DR ALFREDO BARCELOS 310/201
City RIO DE JANEIRO State
County Zip Code
Country BRAZIL

Medical

No Medical Available

CertIficates

1 of 2

DOI : 12/10/1977
CertIficate: COMMERCIAL PILOT

Rating(s):

COMMERCIAL PILOT
AIRPLANE SINGLE ENGINE LAND
AIRPLANE MULTIENGINE LAND
INSTRUMENT AIRPLANE

CertIficates

2 of 2

DOI : 03/02/1976
CertIficate: PRIVATE PILOT (FOREIGN BASED)

Rating(s):

PRIVATE PILOT (Foreign Based)
AIRPLANE SINGLE ENGINE LAND

Limits

ISSUED ON BASIS OF AND VALID ONLY WHEN ACCOMPANIED BY BRAZILIAN
PILOT LICENSE NR 23.338.

NOT VALID FOR AGRICULTURAL AIRCRAFT OPERATIONS.

-----------------------------

FAA Registry
N-Number Inquiry Results

N121LD is Assigned

Aircraft Description

Serial Number 1670 Type Registration Corporation
Manufacturer Name CIRRUS DESIGN CORP
Certificate Issue Date 03/17/2006
Model SR22 Status Valid
Type Aircraft Fixed Wing Single-Engine Type Engine Reciprocating
Pending Number Change None Dealer No
Date Change Authorized None Mode S Code 50054147
MFR Year 2005 Fractional Owner NO

Registered Owner

Name INNOVATIVE HOSPITALITY SYSTEMS LLC
Street 4901 IBERVILLE ST
City NEW ORLEANS State LOUISIANA Zip Code 70119-4333
County ORLEANS
Country UNITED STATES

Airworthiness

Engine Manufacturer CONT MOTOR Classification Standard
Engine Model IO-550 SERIES Category Normal

A/W Date 11/07/2005

Other Owner Names

None

Temporary Certificate

None

Fuel Modifications

None

http://www.sos.louisiana.gov/public/...p_20050125.txt

NEW DOMESTIC FILINGS: 01/15/05 THRU 01/21/05 PAGE 1

DOMESTIC CHARTERS:

35860742K 01/20/2005 INNOVATIVE HOSPITALITY SYSTEMS, LLC 4901
IBERVILLE STREET NEW ORLEANS, LA 70119
Agent: LUIS DE CASTRO 4901 IBERVILLE STREET NEW ORLEANS, LA
70119
Member/Manager LUIS DE CASTRO, 4901 IBERVILLE STREET NEW
ORLEANS, LA 70119
Old October 27th 06, 10:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Darkwing

"Larry Dighera" wrote in message
On Fri, 27 Oct 2006 13:39:10 -0400, "Darkwing"
theducksmail"AT"yahoo.com wrote in
:

http://www.speedtv.com/articles/auto/scca/33645/

SNIP

Awful deal. Looked like he was well qualified which only goes to show that
IMC in possible icing conditions is serious business.

DW

Old October 28th 06, 12:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Morgans[_2_]

"Darkwing" theducksmail"AT"yahoo.com wrote

Awful deal. Looked like he was well qualified which only goes to show that IMC
in possible icing conditions is serious business.

I've gotta wonder why he didn't use the parachute, or if he did, why it didn't
save him. I did not read if he did use the parachute, or not. Anyone know the
answer to that?
--
Jim in NC

Old October 28th 06, 05:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ron Lee

"Morgans" wrote:

"Darkwing" theducksmail"AT"yahoo.com wrote

Awful deal. Looked like he was well qualified which only goes to show that IMC
in possible icing conditions is serious business.

I've gotta wonder why he didn't use the parachute, or if he did, why it didn't
save him. I did not read if he did use the parachute, or not. Anyone know the
answer to that?
--
Jim in NC

Maybe I am too dense but if icing conditions were forecast as likely
doesn't it make sense to AVOID the ice in the first place? The
parachute should not be a substitute for proper flight planning and
judgement.

Ron Lee
Old October 28th 06, 04:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Darkwing

"Morgans" wrote in message

"Darkwing" theducksmail"AT"yahoo.com wrote

Awful deal. Looked like he was well qualified which only goes to show
that IMC in possible icing conditions is serious business.

I've gotta wonder why he didn't use the parachute, or if he did, why it
didn't save him. I did not read if he did use the parachute, or not.
Anyone know the answer to that?
--
Jim in NC

According to the SpeedTV article it was not known if the chute was used in
some capacity, my guess would be no.

DW

Old October 28th 06, 04:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Darkwing

"Ron Lee" wrote in message
"Morgans" wrote:

"Darkwing" theducksmail"AT"yahoo.com wrote

Awful deal. Looked like he was well qualified which only goes to show
that IMC
in possible icing conditions is serious business.

I've gotta wonder why he didn't use the parachute, or if he did, why it
didn't
save him. I did not read if he did use the parachute, or not. Anyone
know the
answer to that?
--
Jim in NC

Maybe I am too dense but if icing conditions were forecast as likely
doesn't it make sense to AVOID the ice in the first place? The
parachute should not be a substitute for proper flight planning and
judgement.

Ron Lee

Therein lies the perceived problem with the Cirrus IMO. Launching into
possible adverse weather with the chute as backup.

DW

Old October 28th 06, 04:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Peter R.

Darkwing heducksmailTyahoo.com wrote:

Therein lies the perceived problem with the Cirrus IMO. Launching into
possible adverse weather with the chute as backup.

As opposed to having a plan B for encountering adverse weather. Adverse
weather in and of itself doesn't always mean not launching, IME.

--
Peter
Old October 28th 06, 05:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

can't see who wrote this:
Maybe I am too dense but if icing conditions were forecast as likely
doesn't it make sense to AVOID the ice in the first place? The
parachute should not be a substitute for proper flight planning and
judgement.

Maybe this is a dumb question, but I heard someone say if the plane
can't fly because of icing, the parachute won't work because of the
icing, either. I'm not a skydiver or scientist ... is that true? Is a
parachute of no value when there's icing?
Old October 28th 06, 05:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Peter R.

wrote:

Maybe this is a dumb question, but I heard someone say if the plane
can't fly because of icing, the parachute won't work because of the
icing, either. I'm not a skydiver or scientist ... is that true? Is a
parachute of no value when there's icing?

Since most ice build along the leading edges of the wing, the gear, and the
prob blades, I cannot imagine how that would impact the ballistic parachute
that is located on the top of the aircraft, just behind the cabin.

--
Peter