Columns by a Canadian centre controller

Old August 9th 04, 03:38 PM
David Megginson

Default Columns by a Canadian centre controller

I have mixed feelings about Don Brown's columns on AvWeb -- sometimes I
learn from them, and sometimes they're just the same rants rehashed.

Today, I stumbled by accident on a series of online columns by a Michael
Oxner, a private pilot who works as a Canadian ACC controller at Moncton
Centre (formerly a tower controller in Halifax) -- a lot of the stuff will
be old hat to people with instrument ratings, but the columns are quite
readable. The funny thing is that he works as a controller in Moncton
Centre in real life, then goes home and plays as a controller in a virtual
Moncton Centre for the flight simulation community (I guess that Nav
Canada's shifts aren't nearly long enough for him).

Here is the list of his columns, for anyone interested:

http://bathursted.ccnb.nb.ca/vatcan/.../Archives.html

Here's the first one I stumbled upon, about flying IFR into airports without
instrument approaches:

http://bathursted.ccnb.nb.ca/vatcan/...rentTopic.html

All the best,

David

Old August 9th 04, 10:05 PM
Dave S

I agree that Don can be a broken record at times, but just about every
thing he's harped about has been put in writing somewhere, and he's
usually able to quote chapter and verse. As in ANY field, there is whats
in the book, and there is what is in common practice: the two are not
always mutually inclusive.

Anyways, thanks for the link.
Dave