Paper Maps Cockpit -- What do you do? Moving Map Display

Old May 2nd 14, 11:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Smith[_2_]

Default Paper Maps Cockpit -- What do you do? Moving Map Display

I use the technology to help me fly the task and the paper map to help me
understand my location. In the UK the paper map I'm obliged to buy every
year and carry with me in the cockpit is the legally accurate and up to
date document and the moving map data has disclaimers. That said, I've not
encountered an accuracy issue with the thoroughly fine people that prepare
the generally used map data.

I have Winpilot set to show minimal stuff with a plain background. Just
airspace boundaries, task line, waypoints and airfield locations and a few
of those widgets that show distance and bearing to next turnpoint, height
required to get there etc. Once I have declared the task I tend not to
touch the PDA again during the flight. When I see something getting closer
on the PDA moving map I look at the paper map to check/confirm/remember
what it means to me. I choose not to have many warning popups on the PDA
cluttering the picture or squeaking at me and grabbing my attention when
I'd rather be looking outside.

When getting my act together(?) before the flight, as well as marking the
task and NOTAMs on the laminated map I take the time to write extra stuff
such as highlighting relevant small details that happen to fall on a fold.

Martin
ASW27 N5

"WaltWX" wrote in message
I still like to fly with paper sectionals in the cockpit, especially in

Would like to hear your opinions and solutions.

Walt Rogers WX