Vario loudspeaker question

Old January 25th 06, 10:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Vario loudspeaker question

I have a B40 with a very small loudspeaker (maybe an inch across), and a
302 with a much larger speaker (2" to 3"). Could I use the small
speaker on the 302 without wrecking the speaker?
Old January 25th 06, 11:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Hi Greg,

That depends on the ratings for the 2 speakers. Speakers are rated by both
Ohms and Watts.

Chances are it would be fine, but don't hold me responsible...

Paul Remde

Old January 25th 06, 11:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

This winter I wired a small 8 ohm .5 watt speaker to my 302 and mounted
it near my ear. It works fine. The only problem is that the 302 does
not allow me to disconnect the internal speaker so it continues to be a
load, although at low volume it should be a small load. I believe that
I read that you should not wire both the B40 and the 302 to the same
speaker.
Randy Cone

Old January 25th 06, 11:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

"Paul Remde" wrote in message
newsxTBf.756026$xm3.414662@attbi_s21...
Hi Greg,

That depends on the ratings for the 2 speakers. Speakers are rated by
both Ohms and Watts.

Chances are it would be fine, but don't hold me responsible...

Paul Remde

"Greg Arnold" wrote in message
I have a B40 with a very small loudspeaker (maybe an inch across), and a
302 with a much larger speaker (2" to 3"). Could I use the small speaker
on the 302 without wrecking the speaker?

What we need is a small audio mixer/amp/speaker module with mulitple inputs
and a master volume control for all the electronic noisemakers. That would
simplify the cockpit wiring and improve audio quality by using just one
good speaker for everything.

Old January 26th 06, 02:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Birdbones wrote:
This winter I wired a small 8 ohm .5 watt speaker to my 302 and mounted
it near my ear. It works fine. The only problem is that the 302 does
not allow me to disconnect the internal speaker so it continues to be a
load, although at low volume it should be a small load. I believe that
I read that you should not wire both the B40 and the 302 to the same
speaker.
Randy Cone

The speaker that came with my 302 is rated 8 ohm and 3 to 5 watts. So
your speaker is rated at only about 10 to 15% of the wattage, yet can
handle the watts coming from the 302.
Old January 26th 06, 04:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

And that unit is made by Triadis, as a add-on to the Flarm ant-collision
device and it works like a charm. All my audio output is run through the
unit to the big speaker behind me and it improves the sound quality
immensly. It also can be set to prioritise the collision warnings. The
collision warnings are now available in English.

See http://www.triadis.ch/index.php?tr-dvs

I can really recommend it.

Sven Olivier
EY

"Bill Daniels" bildan@comcast-dot-net wrote in message
. ..

Old January 26th 06, 06:03 AM
Gadget Guy Gadget Guy is offline
Junior Member

Location: Ft. Collins, CO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Arnold
Birdbones wrote:
This winter I wired a small 8 ohm .5 watt speaker to my 302 and mounted
it near my ear. It works fine. The only problem is that the 302 does
not allow me to disconnect the internal speaker so it continues to be a
load, although at low volume it should be a small load. I believe that
I read that you should not wire both the B40 and the 302 to the same
speaker.
Randy Cone

The speaker that came with my 302 is rated 8 ohm and 3 to 5 watts. So
your speaker is rated at only about 10 to 15% of the wattage, yet can
handle the watts coming from the 302.
Greg if I may add a question to your thread: I have completed the same task as you this winter but would like to add a box that allows me to plug a Ipod into it to play over the speaker. But would like the sound to be cut when the radio receives. I have seen this box used in applications with headsets? Has anyone body found one or built one?

John "XLT"
Old January 26th 06, 12:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I rather keep my independant/redundant systems. The B40 will continue
to operate on its own speaker and battery when everything else has gone
TU. That's the only reason I gave it panel space.

Andy

Old January 26th 06, 04:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Gadget Guy wrote:

Greg if I may add a question to your thread: I have completed the same
task as you this winter but would like to add a box that allows me to
plug a Ipod into it to play over the speaker. But would like the sound
to be cut when the radio receives. I have seen this box used in
applications with headsets? Has anyone body found one or built one?

If your radio has an "intercom" input (as some newer ones do), you may
already be able to do this.

Eric Greenwell
Washington State
USA
Old January 26th 06, 06:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

In message l1TBf.1496$MJ.1239@fed1read07, Greg Arnold
writes
I have a B40 with a very small loudspeaker (maybe an inch across), and
a 302 with a much larger speaker (2" to 3"). Could I use the small
speaker on the 302 without wrecking the speaker?

Ask Mike Borgelt.

Robin
--
Robin Birch

Winter Vario [email protected] Soaring 2 August 17th 05 08:24 AM
Vario Comparison Update Paul Remde Soaring 4 January 9th 05 08:51 PM
Lyc. O-360 cylinder question JB Owning 13 November 27th 04 09:32 PM
A question on Airworthiness Inspection Dave S Home Built 1 August 10th 04 05:07 AM
Partnership Question Harry Gordon Owning 4 August 16th 03 11:23 PM