Limitations of Lemon Pledge

Old May 3rd 04, 08:40 AM
Dylan Smith

In article , Jay Masino wrote:
Jay Honeck wrote:
The main reason is that Spam Cans aren't very waterproof.

All you have to do is whip it around the pattern a couple of times after
you wash it. It'll be fine. My plane sat outside for years before I
finally got my hangar. It was no big deal. You're being overly
obsessive.

I'd agree with that. Immediately after washing a plane, I'll fly it.
You've just done the most thorough preflight you'll probably do in a
while (it's amazing what you can find when carefully cleaning an
aircraft) so I might as well go and fly. We also put corrosion inhibitor
inside the wings as soon as we got the plane.

The best thing I found for getting rid of the grime was soap/water, then
a rinse, then wiping dry with one of those synthetic chamois things that
feel like chicken skin. Then a bit of car polish.

I'd bet the old Bonanza that had the corrosion problem didn't fly
enough.

--
Dylan Smith, Castletown, Isle of Man
Flying: http://www.dylansmith.net
Old May 3rd 04, 12:45 PM
Jay Honeck

I'd bet the old Bonanza that had the corrosion problem didn't fly
enough.

Maybe early in its life -- but not now. The current owner is the only guy
on the field that flies more than we do.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old May 3rd 04, 04:31 PM
Dave Butler

Bob Fry wrote:
"Jay Honeck" writes:

Without question the best stuff I've found for cleaning airplanes is
Tomar TR-1000. It is designed to be safe for aluminum airplanes,
unlike the cleaning products you'll find in your local discount store.
It is extremely effective when diluted and used as directed.

Got an URL for these folks?

Here's what I have:

Tomar Industries
P.O.Box 803
Cary, NC 27511
919-467-0362
866-828-0859 (toll free)

This happens to be a local call for me, so I gave them a call. They said they
have an automotive product called "T03 Wash and Wax", and "TR-1000AC" which must
be the product referred to above. They don't have any distribution network, the
only way to get their stuff is to call them at the above number. He confirmed
the toll-free number. I forgot to ask about the URL.

I was hoping this was going to be a local source for Wash-Wax-All, but it's not.
I bought Wash-Wax-All from somebody in a Bellanca at a fly-in in Virginia. I
liked it, but haven't been able to find it again. Not sure I'm spelling the name
of the product correctly.

Dave
Remove SHIRT to reply directly.

They claim this web site works but I'm not su
http://www.tomaraircraftcleaner.com/

Aviation Consumer did a report on cleaners and recommended TR-1000.
If you like I can send you the article, it's rather long.

I'm also told that you might find it in a detail shop, or a truck stop
with a truck wash.

--
Dave Butler, software engineer 919-392-4367

Old May 3rd 04, 05:07 PM
Otis Winslow

I second the Wash Wax All recommendation. Have used it for
years and it works great.

"Henry Kisor" wrote in message
Jay, have you ever tried Wash Wax All? That's what I use and it seems to
work very well. It's made for airplanes, while Lemon Pledge, let's face

it,
is made for furniture.

I've used Lemon Pledge on the windows but wonder if it might also seal

dirt
in as it apparently did with your airplane fuselage. My old instructor
recommended Novus for the windows. I've used that for two years and it

also
seems to do the job fine.

Henry

P.S. How much would your son charge to do the underwings and
undertailfeathers of a 150? That wrecks my back. Might be worth a trip

out
to Iowa City.

Old May 3rd 04, 05:44 PM
Javier Henderson

Dave Butler writes:

I was hoping this was going to be a local source for Wash-Wax-All, but
it's not. I bought Wash-Wax-All from somebody in a Bellanca at a
fly-in in Virginia. I liked it, but haven't been able to find it
again. Not sure I'm spelling the name of the product correctly.

The Wash Wax All product is available he

http://www.washwax.com/

I've used it, and it's great. The mail order price, including s/h, is
only slightly cheaper than what the local FBO charges.

-jav
Old May 3rd 04, 06:13 PM
Jay Honeck

The Wash Wax All product is available he

http://www.washwax.com/

I've used it, and it's great. The mail order price, including s/h, is
only slightly cheaper than what the local FBO charges.

Thanks for the link, Jav. Do you use the "degreaser" version, or the
"regular" version?

I would assume the degreaser is necessary for the grimy underbelly?
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old May 3rd 04, 06:17 PM
Ross Richardson

You folks are getting Wash Wax All confused with other products. Please
see

http://www.wash-wax.com/care.html

I have used it for the 6 years I have owned my plane. It works as
advertised. They sell some pads that make it work better. A little
expensive, but they last a long time. You can "wash" the whole plane
with the blue bottle if you wish. I just use it on the windows and the
leading edges and the nose bowl. Continued use makes it work better. The
red bottle is more of a degreaser for hard to clean areas. As good as
the blue bottle is the red stuff doesn't seem to work as good for me.
The belly just gets cleaned with varsol and then a good water bath. Oh,
yea, then I fly it to get the water off.

Ross

Old May 3rd 04, 06:31 PM
Dave Butler

Ross Richardson wrote:
You folks are getting Wash Wax All confused with other products. Please
see

snip

I'm not confused.

Old May 3rd 04, 06:48 PM