Polar numbers for Discus A

Old April 26th 05, 06:15 PM
Serge Serfaty

Default Polar numbers for Discus A

Can anybody tell me the numbers to enter in the Cambridge
302 for the Discus A, or where to find these numbers?
Thanks.

Old April 26th 05, 11:17 PM
cfinn

You can review the poplars that are available from WinPilot at
http://winpilot.com/Gliders.htm. Go to the bottom of the page and
select "Polars". This list was created by Carl Herold.

I hope that helps.

Charlie

Old April 26th 05, 11:35 PM

This isn't everything you need, but there is a WinPilot polar file you
can get for the Discus A at http://www.winpilot.com/polar.asp.

Unfortunately, different manufacturers like to ask for polars in
different ways. My LX5000 wants the polar's (a,b,c) coefficients and
min and max wing loadings. Cambridge wants (1) best L/D, (2) wing area
in sq meter, (3) best L/D speed in kph, (4) dry weight in kg, (5) speed
at 2 m/s sink in kph, and (6) ballast capacity in liters. You can get
some of that from your glider's manual.

What's the difference between the Discus and the Discus A? SeeYou (my
3.1 version anyway) has polars for "Discus" and "Discus 2". I derived
the C-302 polar numbers by plugging the SeeYou polar numbers for H304CZ
into LXe's Polar tool to get a graph of the polar. From that I read off
the numbers for best L/D speed and speed at 2 m/s sink. I can do that
for you, if "Discus" and "Discus A" have the same polar.

-ted/2NO

Old April 26th 05, 11:58 PM

Something I forgot to add: the Cambridge 302 utility has a "From File"
button that looks for files of type "Polar Files (*.plr)". Do not
confuse those with WinPilot .plr files, they have completely different
formats.

Old April 27th 05, 05:40 AM
Serge Serfaty

That's my problem. I can get all these different numbers
but they are not the ones that I need for the Cambridge.
I can get SeeYou polars too.

The Discus or Discus 2 come with 2 different fuselages:
A and B.

Old April 27th 05, 06:42 AM
Marc Ramsey

Serge Serfaty wrote:
That's my problem. I can get all these different numbers
but they are not the ones that I need for the Cambridge.
I can get SeeYou polars too.

The Discus or Discus 2 come with 2 different fuselages:
A and B.

You may wish to give some consider that any polar coefficient numbers
you obtain are, at best, simply an approximate curve fit to numbers
measured off of one particular clean glider on one particular day, that
flight computers use these approximate numbers to calculate a further
approximation for speed to fly, and that the real world difference in
performance between an A and B model Discus is quite likely smaller than
errors inherent in these approximations. Use some middle of the road B
polar numbers, the result will be close enough to reality of the day to
day performance of your ship...

Marc

Old April 27th 05, 02:30 PM
Serge Serfaty

Marc
I am totaly aware of that but I don't have these numbers.
Do you know them?

Old April 27th 05, 03:30 PM
Udo Rumpf

The CAI numbers for the Discus A as per R. Johnson.

Wing loading 32kg/m^2
42.5 @ 98km/h
V 2 163km

You will have to make adjustment for your wing loading
I hope this will help.
Udo

Old April 29th 05, 06:34 PM
Serge Serfaty

At 15:00 27 April 2005, Udo Rumpf wrote:
The CAI numbers for the Discus A as per R. Johnson.

Wing loading 32kg/m^2
42.5 @ 98km/h
V 2 163km

You will have to make adjustment for your wing loading
I hope this will help.
Udo

Thanks Udo,
The Cambridge requires the wing area. Do you know that
number by any chance?