twinstar vs. cirrus - your call?

Old October 5th 06, 04:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Default twinstar vs. cirrus - your call?

Hi all,

I hesitate to ask this question, since on rec.aviation this kind of
thing always turns into a religious war, but here goes: a bunch of us
are getting ready to go in on a new plane together. I travel with my
family, and have already lost one engine over the woods, so the
candidates are the Twinstar and SR-22.

Here's what I'd like to find out: IF YOU ARE BUYING ONE OR THE OTHER
(or have recently, or decided to buy something else instead), why did
you make the choice you made?

I apologize for sounding exclusive, but everyone's got opinions, and
I'd like to concentrate on opinions of folks who have invested their
$$$ and lives into the it.

Many thanks in advance,
-dpc

Old October 6th 06, 12:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Denny

I'm a bit slow, I admit it... But when you say you have lost one engine
already and then ask our opinion as to whether you should by a twin or
a single!... It's a no brainer, buy the twin...

But then, what do I know, I fly junk...

cheers ... denny and Fat Albert the Apache...

Old October 9th 06, 08:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Excellent - thanks, all! Consensus (mostly sent offlist) is to buy into
an older twin. I ran the spreadsheet numbers and, while I can't plug in
the "damn, it's sexy factor", the data all support an older, non-sexy
twin for speed, cost and safety: I'd need to fly 2k hours to make up
the difference in buy-in.

Thanks again,
-pablo

Old October 9th 06, 10:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Montblack[_1_]

wrote)
Excellent - thanks, all! Consensus (mostly sent offlist) is to buy into an
older twin. I ran the spreadsheet numbers and, while I can't plug in the
"damn, it's sexy factor", the data all support an older, non-sexy twin for
speed, cost and safety: I'd need to fly 2k hours to make up the difference
in buy-in.

Is a new 2006 Diamond DA-42 (Diesel) Twin Star (with two partners) an
option?

I was hoping to call them $450,000/3 = $150K each

http://makeashorterlink.com/?M36324FED
(Same link as below ...wait for it)

http://www.controller.com/listings/forsale/list.asp?Man=DIAMOND&catID=9%20&mdltxt=DA42%20TWIN STAR&MdlX=Contains&notfound=1&GUID=52282B84D989476 78F7D9AFC924A9CEE

Montblack

Old October 10th 06, 04:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Montblack wrote:
wrote)
Excellent - thanks, all! Consensus (mostly sent offlist) is to buy into an
older twin. I ran the spreadsheet numbers and, while I can't plug in the
"damn, it's sexy factor", the data all support an older, non-sexy twin for
speed, cost and safety: I'd need to fly 2k hours to make up the difference
in buy-in.

Is a new 2006 Diamond DA-42 (Diesel) Twin Star (with two partners) an
option?

I was hoping to call them $450,000/3 = $150K each

http://makeashorterlink.com/?M36324FED
(Same link as below ...wait for it)

http://www.controller.com/listings/forsale/list.asp?Man=DIAMOND&catID=9%20&mdltxt=DA42%20TWIN STAR&MdlX=Contains&notfound=1&GUID=52282B84D989476 78F7D9AFC924A9CEE

Montblack

The fuel burn of 11 gallons for 175 kts also very good.

What about the overall operations cost ? Say the 3-way partnership does
a total
of 200-300 hours/year ?

P S

Old October 10th 06, 08:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Thomas Borchert

Consensus (mostly sent offlist)

That sucks. Big time. THanks all - not!

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old October 20th 06, 02:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Y'know, it's embarrassing to admit that I didn't look at the
marketplace on this. But of course there are people selling their
earlier slots. Yes, I feel stupid, but that's nnot a new sensation for
me. Hmmm, that opens up another option.

At the moment, I'm focusing on a mid-late model Seneca or Baron -
higher fuel burn, but much faster, and a few hundred $K less.

wrote)

Old October 20th 06, 05:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
John Clonts

Thomas Borchert wrote:
Consensus (mostly sent offlist)

That sucks. Big time. THanks all - not!

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

I agree, this is just the type of information and discussion I would
have wanted to see here!!
--
Cheers,
John Clonts

Cirrus chute deployment -- an incredible story Michael182/G Instrument Flight Rules 48 July 14th 05 03:52 PM
New G-1000 182 & Cirrus SR-22 GTS Dan Luke Owning 22 June 27th 05 07:18 PM
Call signs buttman Piloting 55 June 14th 05 04:42 AM
Cirrus attracting pilots with 'The Wrong Stuff'? Jay Honeck Piloting 73 May 1st 04 04:35 AM
IdaFlieg or manufacturer data for Open Cirrus dj Soaring 2 October 19th 03 07:56 PM