Lowrance 600c: Preliminary Pirep

Old October 20th 06, 09:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
xxx

Default Lowrance 600c: Preliminary Pirep

Pirep Lowrance 600c, initial impressions.

Since no one particularly discouraged me from getting one, I went ahead
and ordered a 600c on line. It seems Lowrance is effectively preventing
anyone from discounting it, so the price is the same all over the
country. I ordered it from Pilotshop.com, where shipping is included in
the $499 price.

It arrived five days after I placed the order. I won't repeat all of
Lowrance's propaganda on how much they give for the money, but I'll
just say that it really is complete. There's nothing left to buy.

The case is made out of injection-molded plastic, not a particularly
attractive type but nothing really wrong with it either, with a
rubberized polymer band to protect the edge. The battery compartment is
a little awkward to open and close. No worse than that on some other
equipment, but not the best design I've ever seen, either. I won't
be totally surprised if the latch breaks at some point.

After popping in the supplied AA batteries, it quickly locked onto some
satellites, far quicker than the Garmin hiker's model I'm replacing
ever did. I can't think of any real significance for this and have no
reason to extrapolate from this datum that it will or will not maintain
lock any better than the old unit.

With the backlighting on, the color screen is easily legible in all
lighting conditions. With it off, it's not even all that easy to read
in direct sunlight and pretty much impossible to read in dim lighting
conditions. The screen resolution is good. The maps are sharp and easy
to interpret. The screen size is a little on the small size, but
that's the price one pays for longer battery life. It came with a
current Jeppeson data base.

So far, so good.

It has a wealth of features. Again, I won't go through Lowrance's
propaganda on how powerful it is, but it can display more things than
one might imagine. And herein lies the rub: I can't imagine how
anyone would ever manage to use all that power while flying an
airplane. Maybe it isn't really a drawback. For single pilot
operation, one just doesn't use all the functions. I expect that the
way to use it will be to put in the destination on the ground, then go
to the split screen terrain and heading and then leave the controls
alone. It'll show the course and warn if one is about to fly into a
mountain. And that is really about all I want from it. It will also pop
up a visual alarm before entering controlled airspace.

Using the "nearest airport" function does require a bit too much
key pressing and menu scrolling for my taste. Given how few keys there
are available on a handheld GPS, I can't say as the user interface is
particularly awkward, but if the cockpit is filling with smoke or the
engine has decided it has worked hard enough and needs to retire, I'm
not entirely confident that I would get it to direct me to the best
spot. Pressing the "nearest airport" keys (it requires pressing two
simultaneously) doesn't immediately show the way to the nearest
airport. It takes one to a page where one of the nearest airports can
be selected. I suppose that is good, as the single nearest airport may
be an impossible choice, but it means some more key punching and
scrolling around is needed before it will show the way to the selected
airport.

All in all, my initial impressions are favorable. It is the best deal
out there on a color aviation GPS. It has its limitations and
compromises, but so do all others.

Old October 21st 06, 03:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

I have similar experience. Just to add that if you want to load the
detailed street maps from MapCreate 6, you can only load a very
small map, covering 200X200 nm or so. This number is not
accurate, but an estimate. You have to spend $150 to buy
the "freedom" (or whatever the name is) SD cards.

The card reader that comes with the GPS has encryption function
in it, and is allowed to work on total of 5 SD cards. But you can
not duplicate the Jeppesen or Terrain database onto the after market
SD cards. I.e. once you load your own maps, you find the new card
with no information about the airports/airspace, nor terrain. It turns
into a GPS only hikers use :-). I was quite disappointed and called
Lowrance. I protested the limited free space available on the
card that came with the unit. The representative agreed to let me
mail in a card I bought from Walmart, and program it with the
current database for $50. It came back 8 days later, and now I can
put the street map of a few states into one card. I saved the original
one in case this one fails.

Oh, the SD card that comes with the unit is 512MB, with less than
200 MB free space. In my opinion, Lowrance should not try to make
a profit on the SD card. Including a 1GB card, will make this a far
more
attractive unit. The increased sale should make up for the $7 cost
difference between a $512MB card and a $1GB card.

Other than that, I love this GPS unit, considering its function/price
ratio.

P S

Old October 21st 06, 03:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Edwin Johnson

On 2006-10-21, wrote:
I have similar experience. Just to add that if you want to load the
detailed street maps from MapCreate 6, you can only load a very
small map, covering 200X200 nm or so. This number is not
accurate, but an estimate. You have to spend $150 to buy
the "freedom" (or whatever the name is) SD cards.

I also have the 600C and think it is one of the best designed units on the
market with reference to features, software, and user interface. One method
of increasing the area covered in the terrain maps is to use what they call
corrider map borders and linking them together. I find the software somewhat
awkward with this, but it does allow you to have a large area, such as along
a road, covered without too much memory if you make the corrider rather
narrow.

The card reader that comes with the GPS has encryption function
in it, and is allowed to work on total of 5 SD cards. But you can
not duplicate the Jeppesen or Terrain database onto the after market

It is somewhat frustrating, but I rather think that they were following
Jeppesen's mandates and simply also used that same 'SD card id scheme' with
their Map Create.

But one nice feature is that you can simply buy your own SD card of whatever
size then download the new Jeppesen database for $35. If you read about all
of this, you find you have to also download, initially, a program from
Jeppesen (on Lowrance website) to unlock or 'key' the file with the SD card
id. I like the idea of being able to update the Jeppesen database without
having to mail in the old one and also not subscribe.

....Edwin
"Once you have flown, you will walk the earth with your eyes
turned skyward, for there you have been, there you long to
return."-da Vinci
http://bellsouthpwp2.net/e/d/edwinljohnson