LX S80 or ERA 80?

Old November 24th 17, 08:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Matt Herron Jr.

Default LX S80 or ERA 80?

looking for a nice electronic vario/flight computer. I have used a V7 in the past and liked it. Anyone want to share an opinion about the LX Nav S80 vs the LX Navigation ERA 80?

I have flarm core, so I don't need the GPS. I also use an Oldie II, so the moving map features are less interesting to me. I like the idea of an AH add-on in the S80.

Fire away...
Old November 24th 17, 08:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS[_5_]

On Friday, November 24, 2017 at 12:00:15 PM UTC-8, Matt Herron Jr. wrote:
looking for a nice electronic vario/flight computer. I have used a V7 in the past and liked it. Anyone want to share an opinion about the LX Nav S80 vs the LX Navigation ERA 80?

I have flarm core, so I don't need the GPS. I also use an Oldie II, so the moving map features are less interesting to me. I like the idea of an AH add-on in the S80.

Fire away...

Sounds like "My next glider" became "My current glider"...
Jim
Old November 24th 17, 10:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
KEN

On Friday, November 24, 2017 at 3:00:15 PM UTC-5, Matt Herron Jr. wrote:
looking for a nice electronic vario/flight computer. I have used a V7 in the past and liked it. Anyone want to share an opinion about the LX Nav S80 vs the LX Navigation ERA 80?

I have flarm core, so I don't need the GPS. I also use an Oldie II, so the moving map features are less interesting to me. I like the idea of an AH add-on in the S80.

Fire away...

Inquiring minds want to know... What glider did you decide to buy?
Old November 25th 17, 03:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Matt Herron Jr.

On Friday, November 24, 2017 at 2:50:09 PM UTC-8, Ken wrote:
On Friday, November 24, 2017 at 3:00:15 PM UTC-5, Matt Herron Jr. wrote:
looking for a nice electronic vario/flight computer. I have used a V7 in the past and liked it. Anyone want to share an opinion about the LX Nav S80 vs the LX Navigation ERA 80?

I have flarm core, so I don't need the GPS. I also use an Oldie II, so the moving map features are less interesting to me. I like the idea of an AH add-on in the S80.

Fire away...

Inquiring minds want to know... What glider did you decide to buy?

I ended up buying Wes's ASW27b in Florida, J3. Very happy with my decision. Thanks for all the helpful advice from the RAS community.

Matt

Old November 24th 17, 11:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Springford

The Era is more on par with the S100, not the S80, so that might be a better comparison to make.

Functionally, both the S100 and Era do the same things except the Era also has wifi capability and the option to connect to the Spot tracking network.

However, since you already have the GPS in the flarm, the S80 makes sense instead of the S100. You lose the back-up battery feature going to the S80 from the S100, but you also save a bunch not buying the second GPS and recorder. The Eos 80 gives the back-up function as well as built-in bluetooth and GPS/ IGC recorder.

All of them have optional AHRS add-ons, but unless you have an Instrument rating you shouldn't buy or use an AHRS to cloud fly.

Any one of the 4 options would be good, with the S80 coming in at the lowest price to do what you want it to do.

Old November 25th 17, 10:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Ferguson[_2_]

Unfortunately the Era is still under development, not quite a finished
product. Having said that both varios are pretty equal if you don't mind
being a bit of a tester.

The S80 core seems to be the new common core across the LX range, if you
have a Nano or other LX devices they all look the same across the software
interface, take the same files for airspace, TPs, etc.

John

Old November 27th 17, 09:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Alex[_6_]

I flew the ERA this season.

My reason for choosing the ERA over the S80/S100 was mainly the user interface. I find that LX Navigation have come to be visually appealing as well as very easy to read/interpret since last year’s UI facelift. The airspace visualization is kept nice and simple – perfect as backup navigation without cluttering the small screen too much. The manipulating the UI is intuitive and screen brightness is great.

The Hardware allows for a very clean and simple installation. All interfaces come with their own socket and a nice little terminal adapter is included for easy hooking up of input signals (gear, flaps, cruise/climb switch). The GPS Antenna is a miniature version.

This year the ERA was still on beta software with new features and bugfixes coming with several software updates throughout the year. I believe that all advertised features are available by now.

The S80/S100 series devices are sure to have the more mature and robust software after being on the market for a couple of years. The ERA has turned out to have the edge in many details and will be a serious contender as soon as it reaches maturity. Especially when it comes to the interface design the ERA is nice and clean whereas the S80 tends to be more cluttered.
Old November 28th 17, 03:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathan St. Cloud

On Monday, November 27, 2017 at 1:34:31 AM UTC-8, Alex wrote:
I flew the ERA this season.

The ERA has turned out to have the edge in many details and will be a serious contender as soon as it reaches maturity. Especially when it comes to the interface design the ERA is nice and clean whereas the S80 tends to be more cluttered.

What are then many details that the ERA has that are more advantageous than S80/S100?
Old November 28th 17, 09:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jim White[_3_]

At 03:58 28 November 2017, Jonathan St. Cloud wrote:
On Monday, November 27, 2017 at 1:34:31 AM UTC-8, Alex wrote:
I flew the ERA this season.

The ERA has turned out to have the edge in many details and will be a

serious contender as soon as it reaches maturity. Especially when it

comes
to the interface design the ERA is nice and clean whereas the S80 tends

be more cluttered.

What are then many details that the ERA has that are more advantageous

than
S80/S100?

Hi Guys

I was going to put an S80 in my ship when my club decided to fit all the
gliders with it. So I waited. Happy I did as I found the S80 to be too
complicated, too many settings, options, etc. and especially too many
buttons. It can be confusing in flight as pressing the right button at the
right time is a lottery!

I bought a 57mm EOS and I am really happy with it. Great vario and easy to
use. I believe that there is an 80mm one out now, or on the way.

Jim