486 vs GDL69a

Old April 20th 07, 03:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Viperdoc[_4_]

Default 486 vs GDL69a

I have a GDL69A interfaced with a 530W/430W. The nexrad display is great for
a big picture presentation, and is heading stabilized.

The added bonus is the ability to get both graphical as well as textual
metars from any airports, as well as the excellent XM radio.

"

Old April 20th 07, 03:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
TF

Decision time. Do I go for a panel mounted GDL69a in my 77 Mooney (MX20)
for a big price tag. Or do I do the cheap and cheerful 486 portable route
? Seems on a cost basis that the 486 is the choice . Why wouldn't you ?

I like the integrated approach for the neatness factor. No wires hanging
about. The weather will be overlayed on my flight plan with one place to
look.

Any comments ? Thanks.

Old April 20th 07, 02:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Dave Butler

TF wrote:
Decision time. Do I go for a panel mounted GDL69a in my 77 Mooney (MX20)
for a big price tag. Or do I do the cheap and cheerful 486 portable route
? Seems on a cost basis that the 486 is the choice . Why wouldn't you ?

I like the integrated approach for the neatness factor. No wires hanging
about. The weather will be overlayed on my flight plan with one place to
look.

Any comments ? Thanks.

Seems to me you've already pretty well laid out the arguments. Neatness
vs. cost.

You probably mean 496.

In my Mooney I have a 396 on the yoke with a custom-made cable and
connector so the 396 gets flight plan data from the panel-mounted
GNS480. Also power for the 396 from the same cable, and audio from the
396 ("Terrain! Terrain! Pull up! PULL UP!") to the audio panel via the
same cable. That eliminates a lot of the cable craziness, but I still
have the GPS and wx antenna cables going up to the antennas on the
glareshield.

Not sure whether there are any subscription costs associated with the
GDL69. The XM weather is $30/mo (or $50/mo if you want the full-up
subscription). I assume you already have a subscription cost for the
MX20 plus whatever GPS you have installed. Whew.

Does the GDL69 give you ADS-B equivalent weather (or maybe it *is*
ADS-B)?... in which case you get traffic in addition to weather(?).

Dave
Old April 20th 07, 07:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Jonathan Goodish

In article ,
"TF" wrote:

Decision time. Do I go for a panel mounted GDL69a in my 77 Mooney (MX20)
for a big price tag. Or do I do the cheap and cheerful 486 portable route
? Seems on a cost basis that the 486 is the choice . Why wouldn't you ?

I like the integrated approach for the neatness factor. No wires hanging
about. The weather will be overlayed on my flight plan with one place to
look.

Any comments ? Thanks.

I think that the GLD69/A is significantly overpriced for what it does,
perhaps unless you have a MX20 or GMX200 or other high-resolution MFD.
If you're planning to display weather data on the lousy screens of the
430/530 (or their WAAS equivalents), then I'd skip the GLD69 and opt for
the 496. Interface the 496 with the 430/530 for flight plan transfers,
and both your flight plan and weather will be displayed on the 496.

JKG
Old April 22nd 07, 12:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Dan Luke

"TF" wrote:

Decision time. Do I go for a panel mounted GDL69a in my 77 Mooney (MX20)
for a big price tag. Or do I do the cheap and cheerful 486 portable route
? Seems on a cost basis that the 486 is the choice . Why wouldn't you ?

I like the integrated approach for the neatness factor. No wires hanging
about. The weather will be overlayed on my flight plan with one place to
look.

Any comments ? Thanks.

Get the 496. In addition to the weather stuff, you'll have a backup navigator
on the yoke with a panel display that can help save your butt if you lose your
gyros.

A little discreet use of tie-wraps and adhesive clips will neaten up the
cables.

--
Dan
C172RG at BFM

Old April 23rd 07, 04:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Andrew Gideon

On Sun, 22 Apr 2007 06:58:27 -0500, Dan Luke wrote:

In addition to the weather stuff, you'll have a backup
navigator on the yoke with a panel display that can help save your butt if
you lose your gyros.

Or just a backup GPS if you lose the panel-mount (or ship electric).

- Andrew