TE Compensation

Old March 7th 18, 10:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default TE Compensation

What is the current thinking on what works better, electric vs. pneumatic TE compensation? I've got an S80 vario which can use either.

Dave
Old March 7th 18, 11:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Wednesday, March 7, 2018 at 2:21:59 PM UTC-7, David Rasmussen wrote:
What is the current thinking on what works better, electric vs. pneumatic TE compensation? I've got an S80 vario which can use either.

Dave

IIRC the S80 Manual states that if you have a good pneumatic system you may wish to use it. Read section 5.7.3.9 of the (current) manual. One nice thing about electronic is that you can tune it in flight. You do have to decide during the install because the lines are hooked up differently. If you don't mind the extra work try both and see which works better.
Good article for review here http://www.eglider.org/NewsArticles/...inpractice.htm

Kirk

Old March 8th 18, 02:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I use my S80 on electronic compensation.
I have my winter on the TE probe.
The two instruments are virtually identical overall.
I prefer flying by the S80 because you can tune it to be less "twitchy".
Completely independent systems means I have solid back-up if I have an electrical failure.
Old March 15th 18, 09:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dirk_PW[_2_]

I'm hooked the same way... pneumatic to winter vario, electronic to S80. I like that one 'backs up' the other in case of a failure. It removes the issues associated with splitting TE line to two sources (as covered by a bunch of historical posts), and when you have two independent instruments with independent 'sensors' telling you the same thing, it reinforces the information being delivered. I'm surprised how closely they match up. I have yet to find the need to tweak the electronic compensation, but I suppose that is another reason to have that option if you find it useful.
Old March 16th 18, 03:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Per Carlin

if you have the static close to the pito and you realy thrust the static = use electrical compensation
If your static are on the sides of the nose = use TE-probe

On my LS1-f is it impossibel to tune the electronical compensation on the S80 to be OK. My guess is that the static is unrealibly and therefore is the electronical compensation imposible.

Non-TE probe compensation Ale.L (RL) Soaring 7 January 27th 15 04:23 PM
DIY compensation tube Waveguru Soaring 6 June 10th 14 05:52 PM
TE Compensation Question Hellman Soaring 6 June 20th 09 08:39 PM
Young Eagles/Compensation Kyle Boatright Piloting 6 April 15th 06 12:03 AM
Pilot Compensation - FAR 61.113 CAE Piloting 12 February 7th 06 11:21 PM