XCSkies version 3 - announced by Chris Galli - coming in ten days... ?

Old April 1st 17, 06:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bret Hess

Default XCSkies version 3 - announced by Chris Galli - coming in ten days... ?

Chris doesn't even answer emails from people trying to buy a subcription to xcskies.
Old April 1st 17, 01:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sean Fidler

Skylight.io ----------

;-)
Old April 1st 17, 05:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS

On Saturday, April 1, 2017 at 5:05:46 AM UTC-7, Sean Fidler wrote:
Skylight.io ----------

;-)

Slight correction...

SkySight.io.

Matthew seems to operate at the other end of the customer service spectrum from what many of us have seen in the last ~4 years of XC Skies.
More than just another World Champion.
Jim
Old April 2nd 17, 06:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike the Strike

SkySight.io.

Matthew seems to operate at the other end of the customer service spectrum from what many of us have seen in the last ~4 years of XC Skies.
More than just another World Champion.
Jim

Worse than that - some of the XC Skies web site hasn't been updated since 2009 and Chris has almost completely ignored his paying customers, failing to answer e-mails or technical questions for more than 4 years.

He may produce an improved product - he clearly knows what he's doing there - but in my experience customer service is determined by the owner of a company and doesn't usually change. I am afraid we will get a wonderful new XC Skies product and then Chris will disappear for another 8 years and we'll be on our own again!

I do weather forecasts for my club and occasionally for contests. Folks ask me for my opinion. I am advising everyone I know to support Matt and sign up for SkySight and, if they can only afford one subscription, to drop XC Skies.

Sorry Chris, but that's what happens when you take customers money and then ignore them when they need help with your product.

Mike
Old April 2nd 17, 12:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sean Fidler

Sorry for the spell check typo.

--- SKYSIGHT.io ---

Matthew Scutter (skysight.io developer) is a highly driven (already extremely accomplished in soaring competition) ex Google developer (now fully focused on his new venture) who is truly determined to make commercial ($10 per month) soaring weather forecasting better.

I have used XC skies myself (still do) and found it to be fine. But Skysight just seems to be considerably more accurate than any current option. It is far higher resolution. Also, most important for me, the mobile accessibility of the Skysight.io content is outstanding, and for me, mobile is how I prefer to view weather content. Dr. Jack and XC Skies absolutely stink on mobile devices. Mathew understands mobile user interface. That said, his normal web browser user interface is also superior as well in terms of the timeline scroll bar, etc.

And he is just getting started.... We should all consider support him. His work can help us all enjoy soaring a little more with better, more convenient, more accessible soaring weather forecasting.

My 2 cents...

Sean
Old April 2nd 17, 12:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
krasw

So is Skysight.io just another new visualization of old RASP code, or is there actual science involved?
Old April 2nd 17, 04:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS

On Sunday, April 2, 2017 at 4:29:50 AM UTC-7, krasw wrote:
So is Skysight.io just another new visualization of old RASP code, or is there actual science involved?

Link to an earlier thread:
SkySight forecast available for SW USA
Jim

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searchin/rec.aviation.soaring/skysight$20forecast$20available%7Csort:relevance/rec.aviation.soaring/oIyRwoK-QG8/VwrxsF28BAAJ
Old April 2nd 17, 07:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
krasw

On Sunday, 2 April 2017 18:10:09 UTC+3, JS wrote:
On Sunday, April 2, 2017 at 4:29:50 AM UTC-7, krasw wrote:
So is Skysight.io just another new visualization of old RASP code, or is there actual science involved?

Link to an earlier thread:
SkySight forecast available for SW USA
Jim

It says nothing about the data, model etc.
Old April 2nd 17, 10:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS

On Sunday, April 2, 2017 at 11:05:05 AM UTC-7, krasw wrote:
On Sunday, 2 April 2017 18:10:09 UTC+3, JS wrote:
On Sunday, April 2, 2017 at 4:29:50 AM UTC-7, krasw wrote:
So is Skysight.io just another new visualization of old RASP code, or is there actual science involved?

Link to an earlier thread:
SkySight forecast available for SW USA
Jim

It says nothing about the data, model etc.

Sorry, Krasw.
Thought Walt had posted in that thread that SkySight uses the WRF model which seems to forecast as accurately as HRRR, but gives longer range forecasts than HRRR.
Just reread WX's posts and didn't find that.
Jim

Old April 3rd 17, 03:29 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]

krasw wrote on 4/2/2017 11:05 AM:
On Sunday, 2 April 2017 18:10:09 UTC+3, JS wrote:
On Sunday, April 2, 2017 at 4:29:50 AM UTC-7, krasw wrote:
So is Skysight.io just another new visualization of old RASP code, or is there actual science involved?

Link to an earlier thread:
SkySight forecast available for SW USA
Jim

It says nothing about the data, model etc.

You can try it for free for 7 days, and if that's not enough, buy 1 month at $10.
By the end of the month, you should have a good idea of it's value to you. I did
the 7 days, now I'm doing a month.

Xcskies Dan Mockler Soaring 15 September 9th 16 02:14 AM
XCSkies [email protected] Soaring 23 April 23rd 16 02:52 AM
Xcskies [email protected] Soaring 4 January 5th 16 09:02 PM
XCSkies New Account Dan Marotta Soaring 1 April 29th 12 02:47 PM
What happened to xcskies??? Scott Alexander[_2_] Soaring 9 March 4th 10 05:42 PM