Tow hook for 182

Old October 19th 17, 06:25 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ramy[_2_]

Default Tow hook for 182

Our club is looking for a tow hook for 182, in particular Schweizer (partnumber 0500228-2) which is the STC'd approved hook for the Cessna 182. Any pointers are welcome.

Thanks

Ramy
Old October 19th 17, 07:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

Pretty sure there have been Tost hooks installed on C182. We really can’t do better that Schweitzer crap?
Old October 19th 17, 11:59 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]

Call K&L, they will be happy to sell you one. www.klsoaring.com
Old October 23rd 17, 05:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Thursday, 19 October 2017 18:25:26 UTC+13, Ramy wrote:
Our club is looking for a tow hook for 182, in particular Schweizer (partnumber 0500228-2) which is the STC'd approved hook for the Cessna 182. Any pointers are welcome.

Thanks

Ramy

We're in the process of certifying (in New Zealand) a tubular mount with attached Tost E85 tow hook for a C182. The design is derived from AC43.13-2B, Figure 8-12, and is manufactured from 1" 4130 tube. You'd need to obtain a field approval, however we've done all the hard work (design calculations and manufacturing drawings). This might give you a head start if you're interested in a Tost installation.

There is also a Canadian Serial STC that was prepared for their Air Patrol, that uses an alloy box section to mount the Tost hook. If that provides a better option, ask for contact details.

The Schweizer/Cessna tow hook is subject to an AD (DCA/ROLE/2) in New Zealand, and must be placarded "Glider towing prohibited". Background information is lost in antiquity, although there is text stating "Due to possible strength inadequacy and incompatability with glider tow rope attachment rings....".

David
Old October 23rd 17, 08:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Dmoo,
Can you share the info on the Canadian STC TOW Hook for C182 you mentioned earlier?

Paul
Old October 24th 17, 12:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Daly[_2_]

http://aircadetleague.com/the-tow-pl...the-pacific-6/

Victoria Air Maintenance http://www.vicair.net/

Old March 18th 18, 03:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Hello David

What is the current status of certification process?

We have one Cessna 182 on our airfield and we are planning to buy next one and install the tow hook on it. I've looked for EASA STC but without any success. Is there any possibility to share your drawings and calculations?

Martin
Old March 18th 18, 03:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Roy B.

The Schweizer towhook installation on the 182 is done upside down compared to the "normal" tailwheel install. So the whole "glider kiting" phobia issue does not apply. IMO in a dusty environment the Schweizer hook is a better & simpler solution than the Tost units. As previously noted, K&L has them. McFarlane used to sell a similar unit. Good luck.
ROY

Old March 18th 18, 04:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Thursday, October 19, 2017 at 12:25:26 AM UTC-5, Ramy wrote:
Our club is looking for a tow hook for 182, in particular Schweizer (partnumber 0500228-2) which is the STC'd approved hook for the Cessna 182. Any pointers are welcome.

Thanks

Ramy

When the US National Championships were held in Wichita, KS in 1961, Cessna aircraft (also in Wichita) provided a small fleet of towplanes. After that event, the Schweizer tow releases were a given Cessna part numbers and were added to the type design of the aircraft as an optional part. Therefore, it is part of the certification for the airplane; no additional paperwork is required.
Old March 20th 18, 09:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Monday, 19 March 2018 03:41:01 UTC+13, wrote:
Hello David

What is the current status of certification process?

We have one Cessna 182 on our airfield and we are planning to buy next one and install the tow hook on it. I've looked for EASA STC but without any success. Is there any possibility to share your drawings and calculations?

Martin

We currently have a NZ Form 337 (Field Approval) on the 182/Tost tow hook. I need to check, and I understand the US/NZ Bilateral Agreement provides for US acceptance of NZ STC for Part 23 Airplanes.

Please allow me a couple of days to investigate; one way or another, I'm confident we can assist, either by completing a NZSTC, or supplying data to your DER for approval. Depending on your local FAA, it may even be permissible to assert compliance on the basis of AC43.13-2B, which presents a layout for a tow hook installation to a sheet metal airplane that we have used as the basis for our design.

First step. I'll work out how to post a couple of pictures.

David

Looking for tow hook for C-182 Alexey Sharadkin Soaring 1 December 11th 16 08:37 PM
Tow hook 182 [email protected] Soaring 7 October 26th 15 02:39 PM
Compare/Contrast: CG hook on aerotow vs. CG hook on winch son_of_flubber Soaring 37 June 4th 12 10:40 PM
CG Hook for SGS 2-33 Rusty Soaring 0 November 23rd 05 01:15 PM
Tow Hook 337 for a 150-150 1JH Soaring 3 July 19th 05 06:35 PM